Incoming! One more try!

Stonkin'!

I have an HBII with 57/08s, will try to raise the pickups, but what were you saying about the bracing? I have a newer one, so I probably have...too much bracing, is that what you're saying? I don't know, man...will play it tonight...
Dusty, There`s no such thing as too much bracing if you like the sound. Remember, it`s all in what you hear, or want to hear.

's'truth, and good point. (I forgot I'm not on Facebook, where everyone wants you to share their opinion, not your own.)

But I'd still like to understand what Tag was going for.

Reactions: Tag
Nothing beats dancin' 'nanas!

Oh, I thought you said prancin' nanas...

A7RthcI.gif

's'truth, and good point. (I forgot I'm not on Facebook, where everyone wants you to share their opinion, not your own.)

But I'd still like to understand what Tag was going for.

Dusty. I like very natural, more acoustic sounding, highly resonant guitars, even playing rock. Its why I was so specific about getting my semi hollow PS made the way they use to construct them in the Artist 2-3 years. That method yields a more airy, hollow sound than just scooping the back like they do now, (On some models) and like Gibson does on their 356s. On the hollowbodies, the post 2010 models use heavier bracing, and that stops the top from vibrating as much, and gives a more solid body like tone. I am selling my Strat now as well, which is my last solid body guitar. For me, semi hollow and hollow guitars sound much rounder and less "pointy". If you take a McCarty HB and a post 2010 HB 2 and play them side by side, they are completely different sounding. The pre 2010s entire guitar vibrates in your hand on a chord, because the top is really moving. Great for acoustic, low and mid level volumes, BUT, this can also lead to feed back at very high volumes or gain levels. If that happens, the guitar becomes almost unplayable on stage. Jazz players with L5s and Super 400s, especially earlier ones, have to stuff their guitars full of foam to put pressure on the top when playing at even moderate volume levels. The Ibanez GB 10 (George Benson) model was one of the first to go to a smaller body and a very thick, plywood top to battle exactly that. I would think PRS went to extra bracing for that same reason. The only other reason I can think of is the tops were not strong enough and started to cave in over time, but I have never heard of that. (That also happens on vintage jazz guitars, and you have to be careful when buying one that it is structurally sound) This is all very interesting to me. Many people like solid guitars more, and the extra bracing may appeal to them more. Only PRS can tell you exactly why they did it, but its a huge difference tonally to me.

... its a huge difference tonally to me.
Sure! No, I understand and agree with everything you said. I have an SC-J, an HBII, and (incoming) a PSSCAT, and even my P245 is a semi, and am looking at a semi Cu24. (And, outside of PRS, a 335 or something -- a 356 you say? Will add it to my list.) It's one of the reasons I'm so fond of my Parker Fly Deluxe -- it has an almost electro-acoustic tone on the pickups. (I know, you wouldn't think that from looking at it.)

But I also like some solidbody tones, so will probably always have solidbodies.

Last edited:
Sure! No, I understand and agree with everything you said. I have an SC-J, an HBII, and (incoming) a PSSCAT, and even my P245 is a semi, and am looking at a semi Cu24. (And, outside of PRS, a 335 or something -- a 356 you say? Will add it to my list.) It's one of the reasons I'm so fond of my Parker Fly Deluxe -- it has an almost electro-acoustic tone on the pickups. (I know, you wouldn't think that from looking at it.)

But I also like some solidbody tones, so will probably always have solidbodies.

Very cool! I think PRS makes the best sounding semi hollow guitars period. I can get very authentic sounding archtop tones even out of my CU 22 semi hollow. The SCJ is a super cool guitar. I had one and had to let it go for $$ reasons.

Congrats Tag on this natural beauty and happy for you that you are coaxing beautiful tones and harmonics out of her natural wood
I'm itching now to hear sweet voice.

Dusty. I like very natural, more acoustic sounding, highly resonant guitars, even playing rock. Its why I was so specific about getting my semi hollow PS made the way they use to construct them in the Artist 2-3 years. That method yields a more airy, hollow sound than just scooping the back like they do now, (On some models) and like Gibson does on their 356s. On the hollowbodies, the post 2010 models use heavier bracing, and that stops the top from vibrating as much, and gives a more solid body like tone. I am selling my Strat now as well, which is my last solid body guitar. For me, semi hollow and hollow guitars sound much rounder and less "pointy". If you take a McCarty HB and a post 2010 HB 2 and play them side by side, they are completely different sounding. The pre 2010s entire guitar vibrates in your hand on a chord, because the top is really moving. Great for acoustic, low and mid level volumes, BUT, this can also lead to feed back at very high volumes or gain levels. If that happens, the guitar becomes almost unplayable on stage. Jazz players with L5s and Super 400s, especially earlier ones, have to stuff their guitars full of foam to put pressure on the top when playing at even moderate volume levels. The Ibanez GB 10 (George Benson) model was one of the first to go to a smaller body and a very thick, plywood top to battle exactly that. I would think PRS went to extra bracing for that same reason. The only other reason I can think of is the tops were not strong enough and started to cave in over time, but I have never heard of that. (That also happens on vintage jazz guitars, and you have to be careful when buying one that it is structurally sound) This is all very interesting to me. Many people like solid guitars more, and the extra bracing may appeal to them more. Only PRS can tell you exactly why they did it, but its a huge difference tonally to me.
Actually, Tag, I believe the first plywood top guitar was the ES-175 by Gibson. Even with the P90`s they started out with you could get decent volume. Guild made a bunch of plywood top guitars that sounded and played pretty well. The best jazz sound I ever heard was a plywood guild through a Super Reverb in a nordstom`s of all places. Braces do come loose, and can be damn near impossible to repair without pulling the top off. I think the one piece top with braces that PRS is now using could very well be the ultimate answer. Haven`t played one yet, too busy diddling around with my PRS solid bodies.

Finally got a chance to do two quick clips. Sounds pretty big for a little hollowbody! Sorry quality is bad. Im lazy and did them both with my Phone. (Samsung Edge) Both are done straight into my Quinn TKT183 Dumble clone.

CLEAN

OVERDRIVE

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to do two quick clips. Sounds pretty big for a little hollowbody! Sorry quality is bad. Im lazy and did them both with my Phone. (Samsung Edge) Both are done straight into my Quinn TKT183 Dumble clone.

CLEAN

OVERDRIVE

I think I like this sound more than even your PS semi-hollows.

Back