Incoming ..... NGD... PRS Brent Mason

Wailing

Hi Folks.... The inevitable happened, after my acquisition of my first PRS in the shape of a 2017 Vela... A Sunburst Brent Mason with a maple neck (my favourite bolt on neck option) came up and I’m picking it up on Monday !! Any of you folks that have BM’s wish to pass their thoughts and experiences on to me ? I’ve read they can be a little like a ‘Swiss army knife’ and I’m looking forward to hearing its ‘voice’ through my 18 watt Marshall combo... If it’s as good as my Vela I’m going to be one lucky sod ...

Keep on keeping on.... Wailing

Dooooooood...Congrats on a great guitar. Heck, guitars!!! Velas rock, too!!!
I've never had a Mason, but they appear to be a killer axe.
Brent was at one of the experiences and he was a really good guy, too.

Congrats, I’m looking forward to seeing some pictures.

It’s funny, I had never even heard of Brent Mason until I recently saw a video of him jamming with David Grissom. That guy is a monster player. I became an immediate fan of his jamming. I’ve still never heard the music from whatever band he is in, but that guy can play.

It’s funny, I had never even heard of Brent Mason until I recently saw a video of him jamming with David Grissom. That guy is a monster player. I became an immediate fan of his jamming. I’ve still never heard the music from whatever band he is in, but that guy can play.
Brent is mostly a session player. He’s on 100s of CDs, or whatever we call albums these days.

@Wailing - the Brent Mason is like the perfect super-strat. Every pickup combination is something magical. It took me a little while to get used to mine and what it could do. Once I did, I had endless fun using it on songs. Pickup heights are part of the fun. Raising and lowering provides an amazing change in the color palette the guitar offers tonally.

Enjoy and have fun it!!!

He defined the sound of country guitar in the 90's. If you've heard any hit country songs from the 90's, there's a very good chance he's on it.

Brent is mostly a session player. He’s on 100s of CDs, or whatever we call albums these days.

AllMusic has him at 1437. https://www.allmusic.com/artist/brent-mason-mn0000518268/credits

I spent some time with his PRS model and Swiss Army Knife definitely does describe it. It has a unique voice, though. Fun guitar.

Loved mine so much I had PTC help me make it even better....

KMKpPAQ.jpg

Full story here:
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/can-the-brent-mason-be-improved.9171/

And Here:
http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/prs_brent_mason_model_ptc_overhaul

At least one other person liked my idea:
https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/ptc_brent_mason_electronics_overhaul

I have had one since 2014. I really like it. I find myself using the split/tapped (whichever it is) tones more than the humbucker sounds. There isn't a lot of difference, but it is different enough for me to have a preference. Earlier this year I picked up a Paul's Guitar with all the latest specs. I think there is a more noticeable difference in the sing/hum tones on the Paul's Guitar and it seems to be a bit more aggressive than the Brent Mason. I keep playing the two against each other trying to get a better sense of the differences. I think it mostly comes down to the tremolo, which makes the Brent Mason have a little softer attack than the Paul's Guitar. They are similar enough that I am considering putting the Paul's Guitar up for sale.

He defined the sound of country guitar in the 90's. If you've heard any hit country songs from the 90's, there's a very good chance he's on it.

AllMusic has him at 1437. https://www.allmusic.com/artist/brent-mason-mn0000518268/credits

I spent some time with his PRS model and Swiss Army Knife definitely does describe it. It has a unique voice, though. Fun guitar.

I don’t know country music at all, but in the video I saw he noodles like a rock guy. He was all over the place. I enjoyed it.

Thanks for all of the feedback folks... Anyone have any ideas why they chose Korina for the body ??

Picked up the BM today... wow... what a fantastic geetar.. weighs in at about 7 pounds 10 ounces.. one piece Korina body.. v comfortable neck.. pickups produce a wide variety of tones.. my only wondering is how a steel block would alter the sound.. I’m a fan of the steel one on my strat... not after the same sound but would like to try it out.. is there a replacement block available? Thanks again for your comments.. now need to get to know ‘Mary Lou’ (yes I give my geetars names)

Back