If You Can Find An HXDA...

I had the 1x12. It really needs the 2x12.
I have the combo, which has a 16ohm 1x12 built in. So I was thinking a true "extension" cab should be either another 1x12 (@ 16 ohms), to ensure the load seem by the amp is "exactly" 8 ohms (yeah, I know inductance loads are variable over freq). Using a 2x12 (typical PRS config of two 16 ohm speakers in parallel) with the internal speaker (which would also be in parallel, electrically) results in an electrical load equivalent of 5.3 ohms, too low for the 8 ohm jacks, a bit too high for the 4 ohm jacks.

Yeah, I could unplug the internal speaker and just use the 2x12, but I could have just got the HXDA head then - I like to use all available speakers.

And 2x12 cabs in gold paisley are also just as rare these days, so perhaps a moot point.

I have the combo, which has a 16ohm 1x12 built in. So I was thinking a true "extension" cab should be either another 1x12 (@ 16 ohms), to ensure the load seem by the amp is "exactly" 8 ohms (yeah, I know inductance loads are variable over freq). Using a 2x12 (typical PRS config of two 16 ohm speakers in parallel) with the internal speaker (which would also be in parallel, electrically) results in an electrical load equivalent of 5.3 ohms, too low for the 8 ohm jacks, a bit too high for the 4 ohm jacks.

Yeah, I could unplug the internal speaker and just use the 2x12, but I could have just got the HXDA head then - I like to use all available speakers.

And 2x12 cabs in gold paisley are also just as rare these days, so perhaps a moot point.
I ran my Custom 50 combo as a 3x12. 16 ohm internal, and I rewired the Avatar 2x12 from 4 ohm to 16 ohm (two 8 ohm speakers), then switched the Custom 50 to 8 ohm out.
Lovely!

Sounds great Les. It’s weird I’ve never played an HXDA thru a cabinet. I played one at Experience but that was through their headphone setup thing. One day hopefully I’ll get a chance.

I ran my Custom 50 combo as a 3x12. 16 ohm internal, and I rewired the Avatar 2x12 from 4 ohm to 16 ohm (two 8 ohm speakers), then switched the Custom 50 to 8 ohm out.
Lovely!
3x12? Nice! Bet that sounds killer at 1/2 watt power, er wait.

I tried your custom 50 profiles and thought you captured the tone really well from what I remembered about trying that amp in the local store. Warm, fat, singing lead tone :D

3x12? Nice! Bet that sounds killer at 1/2 watt power, er wait.

I tried your custom 50 profiles and thought you captured the tone really well from what I remembered about trying that amp in the local store. Warm, fat, singing lead tone :D
Cool!!!
Thank you for trying them.
I wasn't sure anyone gave a carp.:cool:
Do me a solid and rate it?:)

Cool!!!
Thank you for trying them.
I wasn't sure anyone gave a carp.:cool:
Do me a solid and rate it?:)
Sure

It’s funny, I only go on RE when I’m on my laptop, which isn’t too often. Prolly why I still haven’t updated my toaster yet with the two new reverbs. That, and our house goes on the market next week. Inside pics by the realtors tomorrow, still lots of packing to do! Dang my back is killing me, plus little time for guitar the past month! :mad:

Sure

It’s funny, I only go on RE when I’m on my laptop, which isn’t too often. Prolly why I still haven’t updated my toaster yet with the two new reverbs. That, and our house goes on the market next week. Inside pics by the realtors tomorrow, still lots of packing to do! Dang my back is killing me, plus little time for guitar the past month! :mad:
I hate moving, so I feel for ya bud.

According to some here, I already have a BS amp.:p

Hahahaha!

Here’s what happens every single time:

I start a thread about an actual, great tube amp, a PRS amp, no less, that’s the real deal, and the modeling Hare Krishnas show up like they just discovered a new airport, and hijack the thread, push their digital toasters, and to top it all off, have the effrontery to complain and be all sensitive when you tell them in all honesty that their can of transistors doesn’t cut it. :rolleyes:

I tell ya, I don’t get no respect.

Start a different thread, maybe? This one’s about a real amp. Just a thought.

I’m high on the real thing:

A Powerful Amplifier, NOS Tubes, and a Shoe Shine! ;)

Last edited:
I donno Les your transistor pianos sounded quite nice on your digital record

hahaha ;)

And you could tell that they were digital pianos, because they didn’t sound like real pianos.

See where I’m going with this?

Gentlemen and Ladies, we are lucky to be living in an era where some of the finest real amps ever created are available to buy, and yet some insist on the ersatz.

Hahahaha!

Here’s what happens every single time:

I start a thread about an actual, great tube amp, a PRS amp, no less, that’s the real deal, and the modeling Hare Krishnas show up like they just discovered a new airport, and hijack the thread, push their digital toasters, and to top it all off, have the effrontery to complain and be all sensitive when you tell them in all honesty that their can of transistors doesn’t cut it. :rolleyes:

I tell ya, I don’t get no respect.

Start a different thread, maybe? This one’s about a real amp. Just a thought.

I’m high on the real thing:

A Powerful Amplifier, NOS Tubes, and a Shoe Shine! ;)
Now now... I have 3 tube amps, and two are PRS. I just don't want to haul 60lbs to practice every week.:oops:

Back