If You Can Find An HXDA...

That’s fine. But this wasn’t a tubes vs modelers thread. Its purpose was to regale the greatness of the HXDA.

The Kemper Krishnas had to hijack the airport. You could, maybe, start a thread about how fabu the Kempers are. You know. Just a suggestion here. ;)

And I’m tired. A physical and mental wreck due to the ravages of age and the folly of my youth. Well, and adulthood, so there’s that, too. I’m on my last legs. Show me some mercy! And uh, hand me that cane, and that glass with my teeth in it. Thanks.

Of course, it IS appalling that you get this box, and buy a model of the HXDA, but when challenged to duplicate the tone of the real thing, I’m hearing, “Well, we can’t because our profiles don’t match all of your settings.”

Hey, either the model can do what my amp does, or it can’t. If the answer is that it can’t, what’s the point of the modeler? The real amp CAN do it. :)
I'm a well known thread hijacker. That's not always a good thing, but it's a thing.:p
The profiles that I referred to are free, and hosted by Kemper, and made by users not companies.
Unlike a modeler, a profile is made as a "snapshot" of the amp settings/speaker/mic, which is why there's no way I'd want to try your challenge.
Again, if I came to your house I could very likely surprise you, but I know I'll never convince you anyway, and honestly I don't want to. We're cool.
The offer still stands...
If you send me a direct guitar track that you recorded, I'll re-amp it with the existing profiles so that you can hear that profile with your playing. It might be fun!
Or not...o_O All is good.

I'm a well known thread hijacker. That's not always a good thing, but it's a thing.:p
The profiles that I referred to are free, and hosted by Kemper, and made by users not companies.
Unlike a modeler, a profile is made as a "snapshot" of the amp settings/speaker/mic, which is why there's no way I'd want to try your challenge.
Again, if I came to your house I could very likely surprise you, but I know I'll never convince you anyway, and honestly I don't want to. We're cool.
The offer still stands...
If you send me a direct guitar track that you recorded, I'll re-amp it with the existing profiles so that you can hear that profile with your playing. It might be fun!
Or not...o_O All is good.

Honestly it’s all good. I deleted one of my ill-tempered, angry old man, the Kemper Krishnas are after me again, rant posts.

We’d both agree, I’m sure, that a good amplifier is an infinitely variable tone machine, with continuous control pots that tell circuits things in itty-bitty ways that all add up to wonderful sounds; it’s equipped with tubes that break up in mysterious ways. It responds to your slightest nuance, and it helps you create more nuances until, before you know it, you’re playing some 100% genuine, irreplaceable music. It ain’t snapshots.

I do understand the weight issue. I haven’t been able to play guitar in a month because my back is so out of whack that I can’t even deal with picking up a guitar case to open it up and pull out the guitar, let alone move an amp! Then again, at this stage, I couldn’t even lift a Kemper.

Everything in life involves trade-offs. Pick your poison.

Just do me a favor. Don’t make me jump out my bedroom window because I’ve been driven bananas over this endless issue. It would be embarrassing, if only because it’s a ranch, and there wouldn’t be enough of a drop to sprain an ankle.:eek:

Honestly it’s all good. I deleted one of my ill-tempered, angry old man, the Kemper Krishnas are after me again, rant posts.

We’d both agree, I’m sure, that a good amplifier is an infinitely variable tone machine, with continuous control pots that tell circuits things in itty-bitty ways that all add up to wonderful sounds; it’s equipped with tubes that break up in mysterious ways. It responds to your slightest nuance, and it helps you create more nuances until, before you know it, you’re playing some 100% genuine, irreplaceable music. It ain’t snapshots.

I do understand the weight issue. I haven’t been able to play guitar in a month because my back is so out of whack that I can’t even deal with picking up a guitar case to open it up and pull out the guitar, let alone move an amp! Then again, at this stage, I couldn’t even lift a Kemper.

Everything in life involves trade-offs. Pick your poison.

Just do me a favor. Don’t make me jump out my bedroom window because I’ve been driven bananas over this endless issue. It would be embarrassing, if only because it’s a ranch, and there wouldn’t be enough of a drop to sprain an ankle.:eek:
Sorry to hear about your back! Been dealing with a creaky back myself the past month - flare up of my herniated disc and sciatica. :mad:

I smiled about the digital piano reference - we have a Charles Walter consol piano - my wife got the piano, I got Miss Pernie - fair deal! Acoustic piano rules! :D

Change “insist on ersatz” to “constrained to ersatz” and that would be more accurate for me on tubes versus toasters or more often than I care to admit on French Press versus Keurig coffee ;)

I’m still stalking that Lerxst Chi amp...:):rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hahahaha!

Here’s what happens every single time:

I start a thread about an actual, great tube amp, a PRS amp, no less, that’s the real deal, and the modeling Hare Krishnas show up like they just discovered a new airport, and hijack the thread, push their digital toasters, and to top it all off, have the effrontery to complain and be all sensitive when you tell them in all honesty that their can of transistors doesn’t cut it. :rolleyes:

I tell ya, I don’t get no respect.

Start a different thread, maybe? This one’s about a real amp. Just a thought.

I’m high on the real thing:

A Powerful Amplifier, NOS Tubes, and a Shoe Shine! ;)

Hare, Hare Krishna, Kemper, Kemper.....

Sorry Les, don’t jump!;)

Sorry to hear about your back! Been dealing with a creaky back myself the past month - flare up of my herniated disc and sciatica. :mad:

I smiled about the digital piano reference - we have a Charles Walter consol piano - my wife got the piano, I got Miss Pernie - fair deal! Acoustic piano rules! :D

Change “insist on ersatz” to “constrained to ersatz” and that would be more accurate for me on tubes versus toasters or more often than I care to admit on French Press versus Keurig coffee ;)

I’m still stalking that Lerxst Chi amp...:):rolleyes:

I had a nice acoustic piano, a 5’9” grand, that sounded nice, but I sold it when I moved to the condo after my kids grew up. That was, incidentally, not a great idea, but I did what I did. I probably could have found room for it.

We have the exact same back malady. Pain brothers!!

I had a nice acoustic piano, a 5’9” grand, that sounded nice, but I sold it when I moved to the condo after my kids grew up. That was, incidentally, not a great idea, but I did what I did. I probably could have found room for it.

We have the exact same back malady. Pain brothers!!
My wife wanted the small grand piano, but we didn’t really have the space (or budget at the time) for it, so after looking at many uprights, decided on the CW consol. Nice compromise on tone and form function. I dig that it was signed by Charles Walter and made in America :).

When my Chiro told me I had and L5 issue causing my sciatica, I said I don’t own an L5 Gibson? :D More cardio and less sitting always seems to be the answer to a fair amount of my back issues. That and not packing up my house...

Word. I was hoping for some drugs for mine, but nooooooo! I had to get hurt after the whole opioid epidemic. My timing has always sucked. :(
I had triple hernia surgery back in 2015 (I like to get my money’s worth) and they perscribed the least powerful opioid for me. I had withdrawal symptoms after one dose! I threw that crap out and stayed on ibuprofen. No wonder there’s a crisis today.

I had triple hernia surgery back in 2015 (I like to get my money’s worth) and they perscribed the least powerful opioid for me. I had withdrawal symptoms after one dose! I threw that crap out and stayed on ibuprofen. No wonder there’s a crisis today.

I was on something in that category after my open heart surgery, but I didn’t have any trouble stopping it when I no longer needed it.

I figure it’s because I already had a PRS addiction, and there are only so many addictions you can have at one time. ;)

That and not packing up my house...

Mine was triggered this time by moving furniture and amps around in my studio. I discovered something about myself in the process: I suck at being a furniture mover. Because I’m too freaking old. That’s it. I have to face facts.

Word. I was hoping for some drugs for mine, but nooooooo! I had to get hurt after the whole opioid epidemic. My timing has always sucked. :(

I was on something in that category after my open heart surgery, but I didn’t have any trouble stopping it when I no longer needed it.

I figure it’s because I already had a PRS addiction, and there are only so many addictions you can have at one time. ;)

Mine was triggered this time by moving furniture and amps around in my studio. I discovered something about myself in the process: I suck at being a furniture mover. Because I’m too freaking old. That’s it. I have to face facts.

Have any of you tried the Tylenol/Motrin combination?

I’ve done the Tylenol by itself after my doctor told me to stop the Advil (my wife’s preferred pain reliever) but honestly, neither of them did sh!t. The only thing that seems to work are the exercises my PT taught me, which I suppose is cool, and the “right” way to handle it.

Neither works for me. Ibuprofen works best, but with the vestibular migraine chronic illness I’m not supposed to take it at all now. Like Sergio, PT exercises, stretches and cardio works best. Typically I’ll ice for 10-15 minutes then stretch if my back starts flaring up. Reducing sodium intake helps too.

Tylenol’s OK for me, but I’m not supposed to take NSAIDS. Heart issues.

I’ve done the Tylenol by itself after my doctor told me to stop the Advil (my wife’s preferred pain reliever) but honestly, neither of them did sh!t. The only thing that seems to work are the exercises my PT taught me, which I suppose is cool, and the “right” way to handle it.

Neither works for me. Ibuprofen works best, but with the vestibular migraine chronic illness I’m not supposed to take it at all now. Like Sergio, PT exercises, stretches and cardio works best. Typically I’ll ice for 10-15 minutes then stretch if my back starts flaring up. Reducing sodium intake helps too.

That's all good to hear! There's a protocol more for acute symptoms/treatment(ie post surgery) form pain management as an alternative to opioids. For chronic/regular use PT and stretches are the best!:)

1) Carpet is horrible for moving furniture :) Furniture moving discs help.
2) your amps all have that heavy iron in them - great for tone, horrible for picking them up and moving them around! ;)

My trainer used to say the following about moving furniture to me:
Suck in your ab muscles (tighten your core)
Straighten your back (ala squat position) with relaxed knees
Focus on breathing (exhales when exerting)
Pick up the damn phone and call a mover! :D Much cheaper than a doctor/ER visit!

That's all good to hear! There's a protocol more for acute symptoms/treatment(ie post surgery) form pain management as an alternative to opioids. For chronic/regular use PT and stretches are the best!:)
I work with several doctors for my vestibular migraine condition. Two of them are specialized PTs, one for Vestibular Rehabilitation, one for Orthopedic and Breathing techniques. Been an interesting ride the past 18 months!

1) Carpet is horrible for moving furniture :) Furniture moving discs help.
2) your amps all have that heavy iron in them - great for tone, horrible for picking them up and moving them around! ;)

My trainer used to say the following about moving furniture to me:
Suck in your ab muscles (tighten your core)
Straighten your back (ala squat position) with relaxed knees
Focus on breathing (exhales when exerting)
Pick up the damn phone and call a mover! :D Much cheaper than a doctor/ER visit!

I actually used the discs. The problem is that you have to lift furniture to get the discs under the furniture legs. Strangely enough, my back was kinda sore but OK for a couple of days, and then at a friend’s party, boom! It went out. I couldn’t even stand up, my wife had to help me to the car.

I didn’t even drink (I rarely do at parties anyway).

Back