Idiosyncratic question about back of SE head stocks

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by greatrankini, Mar 22, 2018.

1. greatrankini

greatrankini New Member

Why does PRS put a long sentence on the back of the SE head stocks announcing that they were made in Indonesia under license of PRS? I know it's silly, but it's unsightly and a turn-off for me. Fenders made in Mexico simply have a serial number that corresponds to Mexican-made guitars and (as required by law) a small and simple "made in Mexico". Why does PRS fill up the back of the head stock with this wordy announcement?

2. Kynlore

Kynlore Your name here

I would think it's to let you know that they are not made by PRS, but another company, and their factory, under PRS's authority.

I'm guessing the factory in Mexico is owned by Fender, so they just put "Made in Mexico".

...just my speculation.

3. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

To paraphrase Jack Higginbotham, it is to give the contracted manufacturer both credit for and responsibility for the product.

4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

This! And, I'm glad they do it....for both reasons.

dogrocketp likes this.
  5. merciful-evans

merciful-evans Portsmouth uk

I suppose it is a bit wordy, but I like to know where a guitar is made. My SE is Korean, and that was a positive selling point to me. My luthier says he's never come across a bad MIK guitar.

I came by a guitar a while back that read on the headstock 'Proudly crafted in China'. That's what I prefer to see, Instead of anonymous guitars that we all assume are Chinese.

6. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

A slight aside, but I believe US law requires the country of manufacture to be stated somewhere visible (not necessarily obvious, but not hidden either) if made outside the USA. And I believe most other "first world" countries have that same requirement - the EU, Australia, Canada, etc.

So the marking is required, and PRS chooses to make it very clear what it means, I guess, as @garrett stated.

Yep, straight from the CBP's Horse's mouth: (Horse not labeled, though):

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...origin-marking-on-goods-imported-into-the-u.s.

And regarding the EU:

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/frequently-asked-questions/customs-11_en#9

ScottR and grausch like this.
  7. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

It has been quoted on the forum before that PRS are one of the few guitar producers that credited WMIC and now Cor-Tek with producing their Far East range.

There are other well known guitar companies that don’t.

ScottR, leokula and dogrocketp like this.
  8. leokula

leokula New Member

First time I see someone complaining about accurate information on the back of a guitar's headstock lol if that's a turn off for you, then you probably didn't like the guitar that much anyway.