Musings About the SE Custom 24 ...

CrimesAgainstMusic

This is a guitar, that I generally don't look at, as I have 2 of them, and that has cooled out my SE Custom 24 lust. My introduction to the "Commie Guitar" (a not made in America guitar) came with these guys , and was a revelation . I bought as the move from Korea to Indonesia was rolling out, so there was a bunch of chatter as to whether quality would take a hit.

I got the Indo guitar first. A Zebrawood, that was so sexy and well finished ,that I was soon seduced to buy another. I was looking for a Standard, to make into a project guitar (buy cheap, and mod the heck out of it)
But "Standards" could not be found at that time. But the CandyWater Pushermen had store specials that they called "Customs" , but were actually all mahogany... but priced accordingly., so I bit ... again.

Thus I had my own dichotomy of Korea vs Indonesia in house. Build quality wise, not a bit of difference. Both are great. But there was always something about the Korean models 85/15S's ... that sounded a bit more satisfying than her Indonesian sister. Rather than have her pout all the time, I granted her the Skow PRS pickup upgrade and lockers first (she then became known then as the "CrazyRich Asian" as she all all the stuff, and costs more to begin with..:)

But the more "modest" Korean model, still sporting stock 85/15S's still cruises on, and having done a blasphemous thing (she is strung with the super skinny Rev Willy Mexican Lottery 7 gauge strings) :eek:
and sounds great ! I'm not rushing out to spend $250 on replacement pickups. I can't figure it out.

So Musing #1: This is probably old stuff by now, but has anyone else noticed a difference tonally between 85/15 S in a older Korean guitar, versus a newer Indonesian one ?

As PRS treats pickup construction as "State Secrets", they probably have a lot of fun watching us Forum Knucks conjecture as to what the heck is in them, or even where they are made):rolleyes:

Musing #2 : So I watched a Brian Ewald demo of the latest iteration of the Custom 24 SE (watching Brian is always a dangerous thing to do, if you are NOT trying to spend money)

And DAMM ! Despite all the good things said about the SE Custom 24 in these pages, over the years ... the durn things just keep getting better !!! :confused:

The cool new body shape , the quasi "violin curve" ( taken from the Paul's model) and finishes, and maybe even pickup refinement ... Like any dastardly PusherMan, they just keep making the Kool Aid more sweeter, and more addictive !!! :mad:

Maybe the Government needs to step in, and put warning labels on the Site, and each guitar that reads: :

WARNING: PRS Guitars Can be Hazardous to your FINANCIAL HEALTH and take ALL 'YO MONEY"

A good case for Government Regulation if I have ever saw one ... :cool:

Back