I Wanna Be Sedated

László

Too Many Notes
I was just in the studio happily working out some parts, and suddenly the though entered my head, what would happen if I lost one of my guitars? I think they're irreplaceable...

Last edited by a moderator:
I really thought you wanted to be sedated and had some ideas on that topic. Maybe a justin bieber track would do it. Maybe something stronger

Yep, nothing that can't be replaced, no matter how much we like them. ENJOY!!!

That may be, but you never get one that's exactly the same. I really love the ones I have. The idea of not having them with me always freaked me out!

Then again, I'm only gonna be on the planet for a relatively short time since I'm old. So I guess losing my guitars, if it happened, wouldn't be much of a loss as far as the world is concerned.

I really thought you wanted to be sedated and had some ideas on that topic. Maybe a justin bieber track would do it. Maybe something stronger

Definitely something stronger.

But all of this chitchat begs the question: does anyone feel, as I do, that certain guitars are irreplaceable?

Last edited:
I'm new to all this, so...no, it's just the best of what I've tried so far, I'd just start over.

Sorry, I just can't relate.

I would really miss my Parker, though. That one is just special to me. I probably should quit drawing this analogy, but it's the CP70 of guitars.

This kinda made me think about the "magic guitars" thread again. I do tend to personify my guitars a bit...they are "the ladies" and some have names and sometimes I pat the cases when I walk by. I may have even hugged one...ONCE.

I think with PRSes the quality is sufficiently high to say that, in general, one could replace or replicate most of them pretty accurately...rare or banned materials nonwithstanding. I am lucky enough to have multiples of some of my favorites...like my Signature Limiteds, alder/maple CE24s, and various flavors of 408. So aside from non-reproducible sentimental value, even in consideration of my OCD and various mental affectations, I would be crestfallen, but not incapacitated in that situation Les.

Except for one. I have a 1990 CE24 that I consider irreplaceable. Alder/maple top. HFS/VB and bone stock by all scientific inquiry. I have and have played others with identical spec. This one is special. It sings. It screams. It breathes. It LIVES. If this one ever went away, I might curl up into a fetal position and suck my thumb for awhile.

Maybe I should have it looked at by "Haunted Collector..."

Dusty and Carl, you each have a special one you'd miss. So the differences between how we feel are just a matter of degree.

My post isn't made to be a big deal philosophical thing. Its intent is lighthearted.

Then too, a special guitar can become one's voice. I lucked into three special voices, and it has taken me since 1967 to find them. So yeah, I'd feel pretty awful and depressed if I lost one!

It begs a thought experiment - what if I were to sell ALL my guitars today (for the sake of the experiment let's say I get fair coin for them and they shift quickly, neither of which is actually accurate with the state of the UK second-hand guitar market at the moment) - what would I replace them with? Which ones would I actually not miss? Which ones would I attempt to replace, or perhaps improve upon?

Perhaps a better way to phrase the setup is "what if, in the event of catastrophic loss, your insurance company cuts you a cheque for your instruments" - what do you do?

Last edited:
Perhaps a better way to phrase the setup is "what if, in the event of catastrophic loss, your insurance company cuts you a cheque for your instruments" - what do you do?

I guess I'd make a trip to Stevensville and have them start tapping wood. What choice does one have?

All of mine are irreplaceable. When The Cu24's stand collapsed on stage, my heart stopped beating for at least 10 seconds...I'm positive.

My son lost his Epi SG in a house fire, which we had heavily modified. After the fire, we could see it in the rubble on the 2nd floor where we couldn't safely reach it and had to let it go. That really bothered me even though it wasn't my guitar and it was a $200 guitar. Had it been Mr. Clean, I would have done a swinging Batman swoop-n-grab despite the collapsed floor and ceiling.

Attaching sentiment to these things is a double-edged sword.

All of mine are irreplaceable. When The Cu24's stand collapsed on stage, my heart stopped beating for at least 10 seconds...I'm positive.

My son lost his Epi SG in a house fire, which we had heavily modified. After the fire, we could see it in the rubble on the 2nd floor where we couldn't safely reach it and had to let it go. That really bothered me even though it wasn't my guitar and it was a $200 guitar. Had it been Mr. Clean, I would have done a swinging Batman swoop-n-grab despite the collapsed floor and ceiling.

Attaching sentiment to these things is a double-edged sword.

I am like minded in many respects. Most of my guitars I wouldn't even try replacing because it would be too frustrating to miss the mark.

But...there is no thing I would walk into a fire to rescue. People, yes. Stuff, no.

I am like minded in many respects. Most of my guitars I wouldn't even try replacing because it would be too frustrating to miss the mark.

But...there is no thing I would walk into a fire to rescue. People, yes. Stuff, no.

Fate can try as it might - there is no burning a Blood Brother Midnight Build.

I look at them like women & relationships.

The love of a material item (Yes, we all do love our PRSi I admit) is an easy thing to let go of compared to the real issues in life but if I had to look at this aspect of it, I think of the girlfriends, women, & those relationships. Let's face it, most of us has gone out with a "party chick", or a trophy date, that really wasn't something for the long haul. My first PRS had all the bells & whistles, birds, 10-top, purple, Dragon pups, etc. so when I got away from rocking' and picked up jazz it was a little too flashy in look and edgy in sound. An HB II w/moons fit better.

Needless to say I eventually sold the purple demon, bought an HB, and it can easily bring to mind the party chick you dumped for the one that was right for you....................................the wifey material.

So for that, even my HB II and the recent 408 would be heartbreakers to loose but it's not the end of the world to me and I wouldn't expect any replacement instruments to give the same feel & vibe of the previous instrument unless it was the exact same model & specs, and even then it will be different in some slight way. As for "irreplaceable".........nah, not me.

I look at them like women & relationships.

The love of a material item (Yes, we all do love our PRSi I admit) is an easy thing to let go of compared to the real issues in life but if I had to look at this aspect of it, I think of the girlfriends, women, & those relationships. Let's face it, most of us has gone out with a "party chick", or a trophy date, that really wasn't something for the long haul. My first PRS had all the bells & whistles, birds, 10-top, purple, Dragon pups, etc. so when I got away from rocking' and picked up jazz it was a little too flashy in look and edgy in sound. An HB II w/moons fit better.

Needless to say I eventually sold the purple demon, bought an HB, and it can easily bring to mind the party chick you dumped for the one that was right for you....................................the wifey material.

So for that, even my HB II and the recent 408 would be heartbreakers to loose but it's not the end of the world to me and I wouldn't expect any replacement instruments to give the same feel & vibe of the previous instrument unless it was the exact same model & specs, and even then it will be different in some slight way. As for "irreplaceable".........nah, not me.

Hmmm...I choose...party chick AND guitars!!! :top:

That was easy.

Hmmm...I choose...party chick AND guitars!!! :top:

That was easy.
:laugh:

................sounds good :dancing: until.................... :beer: the beer goggles wear off :eek:............the hangover sets in:redface:................and all the alcohol starts to make the party chick look a little crackly around the edges:girl::evil:.

...... not so easy after all.

................sounds good :dancing: until.................... :beer: the beer goggles wear off :eek:............the hangover sets in:redface:................and all the alcohol starts to make the party chick look a little crackly around the edges:girl::evil:.

The secret of avoiding all that is to make the selection of both guitar and party chick while in a complete state of sobriety, and if anyone's going to make a drunken selection, it's not you.

Plus, I hardly ever drink. It's one reason I'm so damn weird.

Ah, it's not the effects of the alcohol that makes a woman attractive.

It's her willingness. :vroam:

The secret of avoiding all that is to make the selection of both guitar and party chick while in a complete state of sobriety, and if anyone's going to make a drunken selection, it's not you.

Plus, I hardly ever drink. It's one reason I'm so damn weird.

I quit drinking 6 yrs ago and getting weirder every day, but learned long ago the party chick is like the party doobie..............get's passed around.
Sober, you will be able to select a guitar of high caliber, but while sober it's unlikely to choose the "party chick". Maybe the stoner guitarist loving chick that likes prog rock, but most likely not the chick that might force you to go to a rave.

Back