I really dig YouTube for guitar lessons

I realized last week I needed to add more AC/DC to my collection, so I bought six more MP3 albums via Amazon.
There are a ton of songs I have never heard before.
I still need to add the album that this song below is on since I do not have it, but I have heard the song many times.
Pretty easy song to play, and I had it figured out before I searched for the video, but it is nice seeing how others do it.

'Sin City' AC/DC Guitar Tutorial [Malcolm]

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured out this song myself last Sunday, but I found a good two part lesson this morning.

Guitar Lesson & TAB: Problem Child by AC/DC - How to Play Intro-Verse-Pre Chorus

Guitar Lesson & TAB: Problem Child - AC/DC - Video 2: How to play Chorus, Solo(Rhythm), And Outro

I learned this song on my own last weekend as it is pretty easy, but here are a few vids.
I do not do the power chords part with the riff, I play the single notes as he describes at 1:21, it sounds thick enough too me.
I like seeing "birds" playing AC/DC too :D

The second vid he does a pretty great job I think on improvising the lead part.

AC DC Whole Lotta Rosie Guitar Lesson | Stuart Bull Licklibrary Online Guitar Lessons

Here is another one with Justin playing a signature Malcolm Young Gretsch model.

Song 2 - Blur - Guitar Lesson Beginner Easy Song
This song is stupid silly to learn.
So over the weekend for some reason the song was stuck in my head, and I figured it out since it was very easy.
Tuesday morning I heard it on the radio in my work vehicle, and saw the name flash by.
I like how they use fuzz with the bass guitar too.

Corey, if you're into AC/DC you need to learn Beating Around The Bush. That's one of their best songs.

Got that one on one of their albums, I own all 16 MP3 studio albums now.
That is a good song though.
I find myself playing Hells Bells the most out of the five or so songs I know how to play.

So I have been listening a lot to AC/DC as of late on my commute to and from work, and Rocks & Roll Singer off of the High Voltage album came on and I was figuring it out in my head, and when I got home I was playing it.
But here is a break down from one of the YouTube guy's who does the best teaching of AC/DC songs.

'Rock'n'Roll Singer' AC/DC Guitar Tutorial [Malcolm]

Here are a couple of vids with some pics of the band I have not seen before.

AC/DC - Angus Young Style Rock Licks (Guitar Lesson RO-101)

'Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be' AC/DC Guitar Tutorial [Malcolm]

Been playing this one and Rock 'n Roll Singer above this week.

Burning Alive By AC/DC From The BallBreaker Album

Not too many vids on YouTube on how to play this.
This is my favorite song off of the above album, and it is very underrated.
In fact I would put this song among some of my favorites of theirs from all of their albums.
I have never seen AC/DC play this live in any of their videos online.

Malcolm's guitar has a very nice tone to it.

Let's spark this thread up again. Really like some lessons here. One guy I haven't seen here yet is Steve Stine (Guitar Zoom). He does some songs but mostly explains theory and how the fretboard works. Has some really good lessons and explains everything really easy. Am following his masterclasses in music theory right now.

Has anyone out there taken any of Tim Pierce's or Carl Verheyen's master classes (the web based ones)? If yes, I would be interested in any feedback that you have. I have pretty much used Truefire for on line lessons for the past 5 years or so

Places like Y'tube are the future for guitar lessons or at least an additional resource for learning. One on one with a good teacher is still the best way but Youtube provides a vast and (for now) free resource.

Unfortunately, it's not a particularly friendly place for the tutors (Most of whom are amateurs like myself) as you can have your lessons pulled without warning . Doesn't happen often but there's a handful of artists / publishers, etc who don't like their stuff being tought / covered.

I think it's a good thing though. Kids these days want instant gratification from their social media, games consoles and other gadgets and learning guitar doesn't provide this. So, anything that makes it more interesting and easier for them is a good thing. We need more kids picking up guitar (The guitar manufacturers certainly do!) so anything that helps and gets them to stick at it for the long term...!

Your logic is sound, a one-on-one guitar teacher is still the best way to learn correct technique and form. YT makes a good case for itself because smarter teachers often promote playing not note-for-note as some teachers do, but intentionally suggesting the student make the song his own. Doing so helps keep instructional content on YT, while the student learns to play for the song, himself and the accompanying band, while the teacher inculcates a better understanding of how music *theoretically should be* taught.

You need not display a "killer instinct" for making music. You'll likely discover what pays the bills and puts food on the table is having a "lock" on what you hold dearest to you, so whatever music you do play is your own, that no one can take away from you.

But you know what? Those of us that learned in that age kind of found our own style a little quicker, even if it was just copying someone else's style. We didn't necessarily obsess with playing it "just like the record" (which is not to say we didn't try like hell). But we also didn't necessarily copy the player's technique (or the less successful version someone had videoed on a smart phone) - we found a way to do it, whether it was the same or completely different.

I spend hours upon hours with the Ozzy albums and a couple Star Licks/Star Jams tapes trying to cop Randy Rhoads' style. I never did get it, either, but I got enough to be happy with what I did.

Kids are picking up technique quickly now, but it's the next step that's crucial. It's one thing to copy David Grissom's solos - it's a whole other thing to come up with a voice like David Grissom's.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to yell at some kids to get off my lawn.

Exactly what I'm trying to say. While many music teachers are sticklers for playing note for note, there is a futility is doing so...because each of us is a creative being, we like to stray ever so little from the exact notes or phrases and make them our own. While this is entirely acceptable in music, in other realms, it may not be. IOW, twisting the facts in order to re-write history favorably, or re-stating someone else's intellectual property as your own. Most educators call this plagiarism, and enforce policy against such.

However, re-phrasing and playing an artist's music in your own way, IIRC, but not being paid for your work, is entirely acceptable and legal. The reason associations like ASCAP and BMI exist is to protect copyrighted music from being played in its original form and being paid for it, without paying royalties to the original artist or songwriter.

In conclusion, my feeling is that wise teachers will promote students who read and absorb what they are studying, then apply what they already learned so that what they go on to play or teach themselves is in their own style, not the original artist. The original artist is the one who should receive the credit for the original song, but any re-phrasing, re-wording, or variation of the original form is cause for allowing the student his own form of expressing his thanks for what the teacher has taught him.

Steve Stine just got better, in his new videos he is playing on PRS instead of Ibanez. Downside to this is that it is hard to keep your eyes of the guitars and listen to what he is saying.

Nice lesson about playing songs by ear.

I found this guy a couple of days ago. His name is Steve Gilson. He has made already quite some lessons on YouTube but hasn't been really discovered yet. Think his explanation is very good and he gave me a lightbulb moment. And yes what else than a PRS is used in the lessons.

On YouTube James James has a huge channel with lessons and demos of songs. He used to be known as Private Tricker, and there are tons more lessons there, too. Great stuff.

Back