I need Pick-up suggestions for 1995 PRS Custom 24

Graptemys

Hi,
I bought my PRS Custom 24
upload.php
upload.php
brand new in 1995. I has the tremolo bridge and 5-way pick-up selector, with no switch. I and others fee l the pick-ups are too hot and the guitar is labeled as a metal guitar. Can you give me suggestions as to what kind of pick-up to put in the neck position that would lower output and more vintage sounding so I could use the bridge pick-up for the heavier stuff and the neck for the more bluesy/classic rock sound.

In my opinion the 59/09's will be hotter than what you are asking for. I have 59/09's in a Cu24 stoptail and they are smoking hot. I think the 57/08's are a good choice. If you want super vintage and you don't mind going outside of PRS made product, Seth Lovers are really good.

I don't mind going outside of PRS, but if I can stay inside I will.

Chris

In my opinion the 59/09's will be hotter than what you are asking for. I have 59/09's in a Cu24 stoptail and they are smoking hot. I think the 57/08's are a good choice. If you want super vintage and you don't mind going outside of PRS made product, Seth Lovers are really good.
on

I’d try and find a four conductor 57/08 so the splits and rotary still work as designed.

But first, I’d try lowering the pickup and lowering the pole pieces. I’ve had a lot of success with PRS pickups that I’ve found too hot by doing this.

Thanks. I will try that. Two friends keep saying I should get a Seymour Duncan Jazz humbucker. Here is my guitar.
upload.php
upload.php

upload.php
upload.php
I don't mind going outside of PRS, but if I can stay inside I will.

Chris

on

Last edited:
I may be limited by that three post thing before I am allowed to post a link. I did make three posts in the last hour but the pictures still won't show up. Someone may have to give me permission. I did the Imgur app exactly like the instructions.

Word!

Yeah, maybe there’s a software thing going on?

Keep trying and stick around, even if it needs a day, I’d love to see your guitar and help.

As others said, try lowering the pickup...
I always thought the Vintage Bass on the early customs is there to bring a more classic neck pickup to the aggressive HFS bridge and that's part of the versatility of these guitars...

Hi,
I bought my PRS Custom 24
upload.php
upload.php
brand new in 1995. I has the tremolo bridge and 5-way pick-up selector, with no switch. I and others fee l the pick-ups are too hot and the guitar is labeled as a metal guitar. Can you give me suggestions as to what kind of pick-up to put in the neck position that would lower output and more vintage sounding so I could use the bridge pick-up for the heavier stuff and the neck for the more bluesy/classic rock sound.

57/08's are very sweet clear sounding P/U's. I believe these would be considered some of PRS's all time best P/U's.

uruWVod.jpg
cFS1h2N
MFGbwzZ.jpg

Word!

Yeah, maybe there’s a software thing going on?

Keep trying and stick around, even if it needs a day, I’d love to see your guitar and help.
uruWVod.jpg

Back