I keep seeing solid back color guitars

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Black Plaid, May 22, 2019.

?

Does anyone prefer solid color backs?

1. I like to see the wood grain

74.6%
  2. I prefer a solid color back

1.7%
  3. It depends (explain below)

23.7%
  1. Micky!

Micky! Dragon trainer

It depends (explain below)

I saw some stunning old CU22 in metallic blue + maple cap with masked binding

2. Glide-bpm

Glide-bpm We were small but we were slow...

Gotta see the wood, babyyyyyyyyyy!

Even black top I'd prefer charcoal translucent back...

Alnus Rubra, bodia and Mozzi like this.
  3. Ovibos

Ovibos Unsure why all necks aren't rosewood

It depends. Solid tops, I think solid back makes sense. On a sparkle top, I think wood back would look odd.

4. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

Les Paul Gold Tops - a solid colour - tend to have a clear coat back so you can see the mahogany and their 'new' Modern range have 'sparkle' tops with natural backs. You could have a clear with some 'sparkle' coating too. Admittedly, most of the Stratty/tele type guitars are solid colour top and back but the majority of guitars with stain and burst all have natural backs.

As far as I am concerned, I want to see the wood, not hide it away. I feel that there is something to hide - whether its multiple pieces glued together, some ugly knot in the wood or maybe just 'cheap' woods - even if there isn't any issues at all, I still think its a shame to hide the wood under a solid colour. Each to their own of course but you don't tend to see many 'high end' instruments opting to hide the fact the guitar is made of wood. Gibson supposedly went with a Gold top to hide the fact that the LP had a Maple Cap to stop their competitors from copying their 'tone' - how true that is, I don't know.

5. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

I wouldn't kick a good guitar out of bed for bad makeup, but here are a couple I couldn't imagine covering up
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I know it an acoustic, but I'm trying to make a point
    [​IMG]
    and sometimes the natural grain is the perfect fashion accessory
    [​IMG]
    and perhaps my favourite backside
    [​IMG]

KrisCHS, ScottR, Alnus Rubra and 9 others like this.
  6. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

But we can't all be fashion models.
    Still, even if it is on the ordinary side, I still like them naked
    [​IMG]
    maybe a hint of colour for character
    [​IMG]
    or something on the darker side
    [​IMG]
    but mostly, I like naked
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

KrisCHS, Alnus Rubra, g.wizz and 7 others like this.
  7. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

I didn't mean the poll to sound overly critical, but I see that it would given my initial comment. Just interested in why I see dealers posting new guitars with solid color backs.

Alnus Rubra and LSchefman like this.
  8. Ovibos

Ovibos Unsure why all necks aren't rosewood

Because people buy them.

9. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

I thought I would dislike the black paint finish on the back and neck of my charcoal burst 594. Then I plugged it in and forgot all about it.

g.wizz, grausch and WA Paul like this.
  10. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I know! My post was my idea of humor. It failed! :oops:

Truth is, though, solid color backs have been a PRS thing on certain colors since the very beginning. I’ve had a bunch!

Alnus Rubra and Black Plaid like this.
  11. Mozzi

The question though is would they 'prefer' it if the backs were more translucent. If you want a Ford GT in the UK you have NO choice as to whether its a Left or Right hand drive. In other words, they have no choice if they want a Ford GT. If ALL the 'Blue' Ford GT's had a 'blue' interior and you really want a Blue car but you prefer a Black interior, do you walk away? Do you buy it anyway even if its not your preference?

If every Black Gold PRS comes as a Wrap and with a Black back and you really like the Black Gold colour, you have NO choice but to accept a wrap version with Solid back. You have a choice of not buying the Black Gold guitar or put up with the wrap and solid back. That doesn't mean that the dealers or PRS are necessarily 'right' to keep making solid backs just because they sell. The majority, it seems from this 'limited' selection all prefer natural or translucent finishes but may end up buying a 'solid' back just because that was all that was available in their preferred model and colour scheme.

A poll like this though could help both dealers and PRS themselves to maybe consider more translucent rather than solid colour backs.

[​IMG]

This image shared by @veinbuster would be an example of an option that could work very well with a Black Gold top rather than just a Solid Black back and neck. A similar translucent Blue for example could work well with the Violet Blue Burst instead of a solid blue back and neck. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 'solid' opaque colour and could be more of a translucent stain that shows off the grain - which according to the Poll would likely be a lot more preferable. Like I said, If you want a Black Gold finish, it seems you have NO choice but to accept a wrap with a solid colour back. Because it sells, it doesn't mean its exactly what the owner would have preferred, maybe its just something they can 'tolerate', put up with because they really like the top.

LSchefman, Black Plaid and Glide-bpm like this.
  12. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Man, this could go south, quick :D

shimmilou likes this.
  13. mookyshoots

mookyshoots New Member

My view is solid is fine for less than choice cuts of wood such as on the S2 line or if it's a goldtop. Not saying that means inferior, just not suitable for clear finishes. On a core model, I kind of expect a nice looking clear/translucent finish on the back regardless of the top finish. The exception to this may be the Swamp Ash Studio with an all powder blue body I had a few years back and really regret letting go of. It didn't have the pretty wood thing going on but it was still a beauty.

[​IMG]

KrisCHS, Alnus Rubra, bodia and 4 others like this.
  14. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

100% this. I have one with a nice top and a painted back. I wish it didn't have a painted back, but that's what was available when I bought it.

15. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

It depends.

But generally not:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only one where I did not supply the wood:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#35 11top, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  16. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

[​IMG]

One of my BG 594s. This one’s a WL.

#36 LSchefman, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  17. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

I prefer natural wood backs, but also dig white backs.

Natural binding is also a thing for me. I don't like the wraps.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  18. Mozzi

There is almost always an exception to every rule.... :D

LSchefman likes this.
  19. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

WL gives dealers a wider range of choices. But my other BG guitars have been wraps, including the 594 Soapbar. I actually prefer the wrap.

Mozzi likes this.
  20. pauloqs

pauloqs PRS McCarty

I have a McCarty in faded whale blue, which I absolutely adore. It was my gateway drug to PRS, and although I have since got a 594, I still love that McCarty and it gets played a lot. My only cosmetic beef with it is the black back and neck. I'm considering sending it to PTC to change the back staining to a dark translucent brown, like a walnut looking color. Maybe, while they are at it refinish the whole guitar with Nitro. Something to think about it for the future.