I heard 5% of SuperBowl Fans will watch the game alone

crgtr

Zombie Eight - DFZ
Is anyone here part of that 5%? I thought I was but then I realized I had Kate. And then we got invited to hang with some friends & their kid.

According to your statistics, and projected demographics that means that about 8,000,000,000,00 people will STILL be watching this thing alone. :proud:

I cannot watch ANY game that I don't have a vested interest in. Only superbowl games I've ever watched were #3 (Jets beat Colts, but the game was only watched in spurts, since it was Kevin Kornfeld's Bar Mitzvah, and we weren't allowed to stand by the TV...talk about a bad date to schedule an event) , and the 5 with the Giants (beat Denver, '86, Beat '49'ers, '91? Lost to Ravens, '01; Beat the Patriots '08 and last year)

I have watched alone in the past. However, this year my wife will be watching since her hometown team is playing and my son has really taken an interest in football this year (both watching on TV and playing at school), so I'll have some company during the game. It's going to be a most excellent day while we watch the Ravens bring home another one of these.

ring_zps37387381.jpg

According to your statistics, and projected demographics that means that about 8,000,000,000,00 people will STILL be watching this thing alone. :proud:

I cannot watch ANY game that I don't have a vested interest in. Only superbowl games I've ever watched were #3 (Jets beat Colts, but the game was only watched in spurts, since it was Kevin Kornfeld's Bar Mitzvah, and we weren't allowed to stand by the TV...talk about a bad date to schedule an event) , and the 5 with the Giants (beat Denver, '86, Beat '49'ers, '91? Lost to Ravens, '01; Beat the Patriots '08 and last year)

Giants never played a Super Bowl against the 49ers, they're in same conference.

Giants never played a Super Bowl against the 49ers, they're in same conference.

Actually, I was thinking of the Divisional championship....they beat the Bills that year. They won on their last minute field goal in the NFC Championship game....and then won it again on Scott Norwood's missed field goal as time ran out in the Superbowl. Of the two....the 49'ers game was much more memorable and to me....much more of an upset given the fact that they were playing with their backup QB (Hoestetler (sp?) for the past 6 or 7 games after their starter's (Phil Simms) injury.

pix.gif

pix.gif
pix.gif

Rick Weinberg
Special to ESPN.com

Scott Norwood was on the sidelines, practicing his kicks, thinking about his technique, visualizing a successful kick, doing all the things he normally does as he prepares to kick a field goal. His team, the Buffalo Bills, were moving downfield in the final minutes of Super Bowl XXV.There was 2:16 left in the game when the Bills got the ball back on their own 10, trailing the New York Giants 20-19 in a hard-fought Super Bowl classic.
Determined to keep the dynamic Bills' offense off the field as much as possible, the Giants' offense had controlled the ball for a staggering 40 minutes and 33 seconds, a Super Bowl record, with a dizzying 1-2 combination of Ottis Anderson rushes and Jeff Hostetler rollouts and passes.
But the Bills had the ball back with enough time to pull out a victory. Quarterback Jim Kelly began the final drive by running eight yards on first down. Two plays later, running back Thurman Thomas burst up the middle for 21 yards, getting the ball to midfield.
As Buffalo called its last time out at the Giants 46 with 48 seconds left, Norwood was booting ball after ball into a net on the sidelines, waiting for his moment. The weight of a franchise, the weight of an entire city, rests on his right foot. Thomas ran 11 yards to the Giants 29, and t hen Kelly stopped the clock with eight seconds left with an intentional incompletion, setting the stage.
THE MOMENT
January 27, 1991, Tampa, Florida. As Kelly runs off the field, he hands the reins to Norwood. The field goal he is about to attempt -- one that will win or lose this Super Bowl -- is from 47 yards out. He had not kicked a field goal longer than 48 yards all season.
He analyzes the length of the kick. All Norwood cares about is making sure he gets enough leg into the kick. At 47 yards out, he would later say, the percentages are against kickers. At 47 yards out, he would point out, the average success rate is under 50 percent. The odds are against him.
The spotlight is bright on this global stage: Will Norwood seize the moment, like Jim O'Brien did for the Colts in Super Bowl V, when he kicked the only other game-winning field goal, to this point, in Super Bowl history?
040122_norwood.jpg
Norwood lines the kick up. Time freezes. Players on both sides of the field wait breathlessly for the moment to unfold. Some players kneel down on one knee and pray. Some hold hands. Some look away.
The ball is snapped. "I could not hear a sound," Norwood would say later. The crowd does not exist. The stadium, in Norwood's mind, is empty.
The ball floats slowly through the air. Norwood reviews the vital conditions in his head. "Make sure your timing is right," he thinks to himself. "Kick it high so it can't be blocked." He reminds himself to keep his head down, on top of the ball. Repetition. He's done it a million times. Just 1.3 seconds separates him from legend or failure, from choker to someone with ice in the veins.
The snap is caught by holder Frank Reich. He places the ball down on the grass. He turns the ball, ever so slightly. Norwood steps into the ball with his right foot and booms it toward the goal posts. He knows he kicked it well. He looks up, watching the flight of the ball. Every eye in the stadium watches the ball rise, tumble end over end, and then descend toward the goal posts. The players on the field turn and watch the ball.
Norwood bends his head, ever so slightly, and cringes. He feels he put too much on the kick, that he didn't get enough of his hips into it. Something feels wrong, he thinks to himself. As the ball inches closer to the goal posts Norwood's heart begins to sink. He prays for a little wind, something that would push the ball toward the middle of the uprights. He prays for the ball, at the very least, to hit the right upright and deflect back inside. He has an eerie, empty feeling in his stomach. "By that time," he would later tell the media, "I knew that the kick wasn't good."
As the ball sails inches to the right. Norwood drops his head to the ground. He wants to disappear. The biggest kick in the history of the NFL is no good. The Giants are Super Bowl champs.
"I wanted to hit the ball solid and I did," he would tell the media after the game. "I wanted to get the kick off fast and I wanted to get it high, so it wouldn't be blocked. And I did. I just didn't get my hips into it enough."
As Norwood stands in the Bills' locker room fielding questions, teammates, one after another, come by and touch his shoulder, or his back, illustrating their support and love. Linebacker Darryl Talley clutches Norwood's right hand and tells him, "I'm still with you."
Norwood talks about not having planted his foot properly. The ball started right but "it wasn't moving, it wasn't being drawn in," a disconsolate Norwood says.
There is not a sadder picture in sports than that of a player who had a chance to win a championship for his team and failed. Unable to manage a smile, Norwood tells the media, " I was very positive going into the kick, but that doesn't guarantee success. Unfortunately, I let a lot of people down."

column1storybot.gif

pix.gif

I'll watch the game alone. I do just about everything alone. For the most part, mine has always been a pretty secluded life.

Goldtop Lloyd, Queen of Clubs

Last edited:
I'll watch the game alone. I do most everything alone. Mine is a pretty secluded life, really.

Goldtop Lloyd, Queen of Clubs

Images that flash in the mind of a man who has not had too many moments to himself in the past 35 years. ;)

17339236-rock-climber-at-sunset-kalymnos-island-greece.jpg

15658794-man-looks-at-horizon-in-the-end-of-dark-concrete-tunnel.jpg

13031913-cave-explorer-speleologist-exploring-the-underground.jpg

11850998-girl.jpg

17420866-human-silhouette-in-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-horizontal-shot.jpg

14215225-silhouette-of-a-man-standing-with-arms-raised-in-ulrike-s-cave-amangiri-canyon-point-utah-usa.jpg

Images that flash in the mind of a man who has not had too many moments to himself in the past 35 years. ;)

Very nice. I think it's the same as with most extremes, in that there's both an upside and a downside to it. But I've always had music, so no complaints whatsoever.

Lloyd

Back