I don't know exactly what this is?

jimmybcool

Hi all,

I have several PRS and am thinning the herd. I have a local guy interested in one of mine and I'm embarrassed to admit I don't even know exactly what it is. I certainly haven't a clue as to the value. I'm not trying to gouge him or get taken. Any hints are appreciated.

BTW, there is no case candy or build sheet. Condition as far as I can tell is really good but I haven't examined it with a magnifier to find flaws.

Thanks for the help.

DSC_6417.jpg

DSC_6416.jpg

DSC_6418.jpg

DSC_6415.jpg

Looks to be a McCarty Archtop with Piezo. I will let the experts give you a value on it.

Last edited:
Thanks.

The only thing like it I can find are really hollowbodys not archtop. I did find one on Ebay but it was a plain jane spruce top. I can't recall what I paid (it was used when I got it) and just don't want to make a mistake.

To be honest I just never took to the shape and depth of it. I prefer the solid body PRS.

Judging by the inlaid signature on the headstock, that may be an Artist package as well.

That's a beautiful example with exceptionally nice figuring. These are somewhat rare and it's been while since I've seen one change hands. I do recall seeing some lesser examples changing hands in them$2,500-$3,000 range over the past couple of years. The inlaid headstock sig and gold hardware do point to an artist pack spec as well. I'd think this would be valued at $3,200-$3,500. Very nice indeed!

Where's the MODCAT on an archtop? Still in the bridge cavity? Looks like an Artist to me. Has Paua inlays

Like a dolt I haven't looked inside the cavities and until just now didn't even check the back of the headstock. It is a 10 top. I have to run but I'll try and find the modcat after the gym.

Thanks

Well I can't find anything inside the sound holes. the # on the head stock is 04522x Does that help?

So if it has a 10 on the back of the headstock then it isn't an Artist, but it is most definitely a really sweet McCarty Archtop II 10-top. They are pretty rare and IMO fantastic sounding guitars. I agree with the other estimate here of the low to mid $3000's as to its value if it's in near mint condition, maybe a bit less depending on fretwear, etc. FWIW that has always been one of my favorite PRS's.

Archtop 2 with piezo. If its an Archtop Artist, it will say so on the back of the headstock with a number.

Thanks for the help guys. Archtop II 10 top it is. If I remember right I paid around $3000 for it used so sounds right to me too. Guy who was interested in a hollow body was looking to spend less so I guess I'll keep it.

I really need to try playing this more than I have. I never gave it a fair trial.

Well, the potential buyer is comparing mine with hollowbody IIs. And the price isn't the same and we are pretty far apart. So I'm keeping it. I think I'll give this another go to see if I like it. I've hardly ever played it.

I am curious. I don't see archtops listed on the PRS web page under products. Is this discontinued?

Well, the potential buyer is comparing mine with hollowbody IIs. And the price isn't the same and we are pretty far apart. So I'm keeping it. I think I'll give this another go to see if I like it. I've hardly ever played it.

I am curious. I don't see archtops listed on the PRS web page under products. Is this discontinued?

It is discontinued. You can get one as a special order Private Stock, but then you are talking really big money. That is why the production models like you have are so valuable to collectors.

Awesome discontinued guitar. Give it another shot. Which solid body PRS do you like? What pickups? You might consider trying 5708 or 5909 pickups if the Archtop pickups don't do it for you. I had a hollowbody thread going and some guys put 5708s in and really liked them.

I'd definitely keep it. Mine sounds great with the Archtop pickups, but I've gotta believe that 53/10's would sound incredible in it as well.

Back