Humbacker sized P90's

Simon Says

I EaT GrAss
I'm finding myself playing my Standard 24 less and less. I have bought it with plans to keep it as my drop tuning guitar but to be fair I rarely play in drop Db so he is mainly collecting the dust.

I'm considering changing pickups to HB sized P90's for a bit different flavour and I was wondering what choices we have? BKP does some, Lindy Fralin have some too, same Lollar...

...any experience?

I'm finding myself playing my Standard 24 less and less. I have bought it with plans to keep it as my drop tuning guitar but to be fair I rarely play in drop Db so he is mainly collecting the dust.

I'm considering changing pickups to HB sized P90's for a bit different flavour and I was wondering what choices we have? BKP does some, Lindy Fralin have some too, same Lollar...

...any experience?
I put a set of these in a CE24 that I had. This video sold me on them. Lollar Single for Hum. I have another set that I am going to put in my Brown Westie, one of these days.

I put a set of these in a CE24 that I had. This video sold me on them. Lollar Single for Hum. I have another set that I am going to put in my Brown Westie, one of these days.

Are they actual single coils in traditional understanding of it? I will pass if so as I may have a cheeky HSS PRS coming my way on Christmas

Put in BK Stockholm Syndrome and it will tick your boxes, I had a bridge one in an SE and it was mental, it was so big it sounded flat in std tuning

Probably to high gain but I'm considering Nuntacked

Are they actual single coils in traditional understanding of it? I will pass if so as I may have a cheeky HSS PRS coming my way on Christmas
Yeah, I would say they are. Although, I don't remember any hum with them. It's been a few years since I've had that guitar. Details are a little fuzzy.

I have a Fralin in the neck (Wolfetone HB in the bridge) of my SG and an alnico H90 Porter sitting in my desk drawer that I picked up because I liked the Fralin so much. I have porter building me a pickguard now with a H90 neck and WRH in the bridge too. I think it's safe to say I like the sound of a humbucker sized p90.

I have a set of Fralin P92's in a Gibson CS336 - they are amazing sounding pickups, they nail the whole P90 vibe. I also have a set of Gibson P90's in a 50's Tribute LP (with an Ilitch Cavity Silent Single Coil system) to compare them to - in a live band mix or even in a quiet studio you'd be hard pressed to tell me which guitar I was playing.

Some people say the most harmonic content happens under the 24th fret but I never said anything like "yeah, sounds good but I miss these harmonics" with any of my 24s
I always hated that argument. The harmonic content of a string moves when it is fretted.

But I can certainly hear a different timbre to the 85/15 S pickups between my S2 Standard 22 and Standard 24. I suppose an SG with P90s have them positioned a little more like the 24s than something like my LP Special does.

I have a set of Fralin P92's in a Gibson CS336 - they are amazing sounding pickups, they nail the whole P90 vibe. I also have a set of Gibson P90's in a 50's Tribute LP (with an Ilitch Cavity Silent Single Coil system) to compare them to - in a live band mix or even in a quiet studio you'd be hard pressed to tell me which guitar I was playing.

Fralin does the noiseless HSP90's, any opinion of those?

Back in my strat days I was trying a lot of noiseless singles from Mojotone, trough Dimarzio ending on Kinman's and they always was lacking something that even the most generic singles had. Flat highs, lack of responsiveness to pick attack, gutless lows.

Bit scared to go trough that rabbit hole again with P90's

I always hated that argument. The harmonic content of a string moves when it is fretted.

But I can certainly hear a different timbre to the 85/15 S pickups between my S2 Standard 22 and Standard 24. I suppose an SG with P90s have them positioned a little more like the 24s than something like my LP Special does.

Not sure mate, I don't think it has more to do to the scale length vs pickup proximity to each other but more to the vibration loops. 24th fret is the 3/4th of the total string action and it has something to do to that. I don't know, I'm not a sound wave PHD'st, I don't really care ;)

Kent Armstrong makes one (see avatar).

B59044-D4-A480-4-FF9-8358-00-ADA86-EACC4.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure mate, I don't think it has more to do to the scale length vs pickup proximity to each other but more to the vibration loops. 24th fret is the 3/4th of the total string action and it has something to do to that. I don't know, I'm not a sound wave PHD'st, I don't really care ;)
The speaking length of the string and any harmonic content it produces is only at scale length when it's played unfretted, tho.

The neck pickups of most SGs are pushed closer to the bridge, and hence closer together as well, than LPs and they share a scale length, similar to the difference between a PRS 24 and 22 fretter.

Back