What P90’s came in the 2007 McCarty?

GratefulDean

I’m looking for some info on the P90’s that came in the 2007 McCarty. I’m looking at picking up a set and am wondering who makes them, resistance numbers, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I think I have it figured out. If they haven’t changed in the 10 years. From the PRS website:

“For this PRS/Seymour Duncan collaboration, PRS started with the Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90 for its sweet, vintage growl and cool, gritty sparkle. The pickup was modified slightly so it sits at the proper height in PRS’s cavity design. Like with original Antiquity pickups, chords sound full and round, while single notes sing sweetly. A relatively low output pickup; these soapbars have a many usable voicings by simply adjusting your volume and tone controls.”

This sounds exactly what I am looking for. And these were less than half off.

Last edited:
They were Seymour Duncans. I don't know the model. They weren't the Antiquities.

I had a 2006 McCarty Rosewood Soapbar with them that had been a NAMM guitar. I loved that guitar, and feel like an idiot for selling it.

They were much brighter pickups than the Duncan Antiquities that came on my 594 Soapbar, though that guitar sounds great, too. I guess I like the tone of Soapbars.

I’m looking for some info on the P90’s that came in the 2007 McCarty. I’m looking at picking up a set and am wondering who makes them, resistance numbers, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I think I have it figured out. If they haven’t changed in the 10 years. From the PRS website:

“For this PRS/Seymour Duncan collaboration, PRS started with the Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90 for its sweet, vintage growl and cool, gritty sparkle. The pickup was modified slightly so it sits at the proper height in PRS’s cavity design. Like with original Antiquity pickups, chords sound full and round, while single notes sing sweetly. A relatively low output pickup; these soapbars have a many usable voicings by simply adjusting your volume and tone controls.”

This sounds exactly what I am looking for. And these were less than half off.

This applies to when they did the run of P-90 McCarty 594 models a few years ago. Before that, they did use Duncans, but not Antiquity. They were a hotter pickup. I don't remember if they were an off the shelf model, or if they were wound special.

Thanks in advance.
I think I have it figured out. That is if the pickups have not changed. From PRS:
This applies to when they did the run of P-90 McCarty 594 models a few years ago. Before that, they did use Duncans, but not Antiquity. They were a hotter pickup. I don't remember if they were an off the shelf model, or if they were wound special.
I’ll test them when they arrive. I’m looking forward to hearing them.

Well I thought they did change them over the years. My McCarty with P90s from that era had a very hotHot bridge PU with ceramic magnets and a more vintage neck PU, which I actually liked. They are Duncans, but not antiquities.

The pickups definitely changed. The more vintage, Antiquity-based ones were only used on the 594 special runs. Anything prior to that has the hotter, more modern ones.

There’s info somewhere on which p90’s they were using. I have an older McCarty soapbar and looked it up when I bought them. It seems like they used on it SD’s hotter neck pickups for the bridge. And maybe their standard p90 in the neck. Imo the stock pickups work pretty well. They’re a little dark for my tastes, but still very usable. I actually had a bare knuckles Mississippi queen that I put in the bridge. And I loved it. It was a little clearer and brighter and just made the guitar sing.

But I thought I was going to sell the guitar and put the stock bridge pickup back in. And liked it more than I remembered. It was just fatter and a little warmer than the BK. Also I still haven’t sold the guitar. But I’ve decided to eventually build a LP/SG junior style guitar to put the BK pickup in. And I’m leaving the McCarty stock. Well at least the pickups.

There’s info somewhere on which p90’s they were using. I have an older McCarty soapbar and looked it up when I bought them. It seems like they used on it SD’s hotter neck pickups for the bridge. And maybe their standard p90 in the neck. Imo the stock pickups work pretty well. They’re a little dark for my tastes, but still very usable. I actually had a bare knuckles Mississippi queen that I put in the bridge. And I loved it. It was a little clearer and brighter and just made the guitar sing.

But I thought I was going to sell the guitar and put the stock bridge pickup back in. And liked it more than I remembered. It was just fatter and a little warmer than the BK. Also I still haven’t sold the guitar. But I’ve decided to eventually build a LP/SG junior style guitar to put the BK pickup in. And I’m leaving the McCarty stock. Well at least the pickups.
As I understand it they are a little brighter than a vintage wind.

The pickups finally came in but I think the guy I bought them from ripped them out of the guitar. Jacket is mangled and I can’t see any wires. I am unable to test them until I can find a way to cut the metal sleeving away. Everything looks good at the pickup so I am confident they work. I’ll definitely have to extend the wiring at install.

BTW I am installing these in a Strat.

As I understand it they are a little brighter than a vintage wind.
You may be correct. I love p90’s. But I started my journey with a Godin that had SD’s hot ceramic p90’s in it. At the time it worked well, as I most of my guitars had hot modern pickups in them. It took me too many years to realize I like more vintage voiced pickups. And the MQ I have was truly a revelation. Imo it’s definitely brighter than the stock pickups. But not in a harsh Strat/Tele sort of way. Just nice clear top end. And while I’ve not sat down and directly compared it to my 594 soapbar, I feel as though the older McCarty is a little darker than it.

Maybe later this evening I’ll sit down and see how my p90 guitars compare. I have

594 soapbar
McCarty soapbar
SE sc245 soapbar
Epiphone semi hollow w/p90’s
Chapman semi hollow w/p90’s.

I think that’s it. So it may take a bit. Haha.

Back