Korina PRS Soapbar Replacement Pickups

vp101

Hi Folks,

Simple question.

I have a 3 soapbar PRS Korina P90. Love the feel of the guitar but haven't bonded at all with the pickups. The sound isn't just there and the hum in many cases is terrible. Also, I purchased the guitar used and don't really like the wiring setup right now. Hence, considering replacing the pickups and electronics. Have two options/ideas in mind. Of course, I know that the end pricing of these options will be different and truth be told, I'm not too worried about that.

The two options as far as replacement pickups are:

1. Lindy Fralin Noise Cancelling P90s. Get the stock P90 in the neck, Alnico in the middle, and the 5% overwound in the bridge

2. Lollar P90s. Standard P90 in the neck, Alnico in the neck, and either the standard or the 'high wind' P90 in the bridge. If I go down this road, I'll also be investing in the Ilitch system since I can't live with the hum

Any suggestions/ideas on this front? Would love to hear about the experiences of folks who have replaced the soap bars in their PRS guitars, especially the Korina ones.

Thanks!

Well, I had a similar issue with my korina McSoapy. Stock P90 bridge was way too hot for my liking. Neck was OK but dit not rock my my boat, so to speak.

After some research I landed on a set Wolfetones P90. Went for a set of Mean/Mean (-5% with AlNiCo 5). More vintage output and they sing, bite, grunt and chime if needed.

Owner is a great guy to deal with, thinks with you to make a good fit and is really affordable (being Dutch here ;-)), but that was no consideration. Comes highly recommended from my end!

Last edited:
Back