Humbacker sized P90's

The speaking length of the string and any harmonic content it produces is only at scale length when it's played unfretted, tho.

The neck pickups of most SGs are pushed closer to the bridge, and hence closer together as well, than LPs and they share a scale length, similar to the difference between a PRS 24 and 22 fretter.

It makes perfect sense what you are saying. I never missed anything playing 24 fret guitars which I did for most of my life with 3 years long brake when I had the strat phase.

Kent Armstrong makes one (see avatar).

B59044-D4-A480-4-FF9-8358-00-ADA86-EACC4.jpg

Dig it

I am having a set of Bareknuckle Nantucket HSP90's installed into a guitar as we speak, I fully endorse. However, I lack experience. Most of my knowledge is from a real-life friend that I actively listen to.

I'm also a huge fan of Lindy Fralin, Kent Armstrong, and Lollar, not sure why I went with Bareknuckle. It's not like you lack for choices -- any of those would be ace.

The Antiquity P90s used in the 594 Soapbar is the best P90 set I’ve ever used, and you can swap off between them and an HB equipped guitar using the same amp settings to just get a different, but not foreign, guitar tone. Were I in the market for an HB-sized P90, I’d contact Seymour Duncan and see if they can custom make the Antiquity into that format.

The Antiquity P90s used in the 594 Soapbar is the best P90 set I’ve ever used, and you can swap off between them and an HB equipped guitar using the same amp settings to just get a different, but not foreign, guitar tone. Were I in the market for an HB-sized P90, I’d contact Seymour Duncan and see if they can custom make the Antiquity into that format.

I agree on this. The Antiquities in my 594 Soapbar sound spot on, very much like the original P-90s in my '65 SG Special.

Like any single coil, P-90s will hum in certain locations, one of which is my studio. I have to face a certain direction to eliminate that. P-90 hum can seem louder than other single coils, because P-90s are pretty powerful pickups.

If the hum is bothersome, noise-canceling may be an option, but it does change the tone.

I'm actually rethinking this. I mean the idea is planted so I may eventually do it - if not with this guitar then with other but I took him of the stand last night, I did the setup once again and we are friends once again. When I bought it it was tuned to D standard with a set of 9's. I give it 11-50 in in Eb (+drop) and it was cool for a week or so but I think the wood started reacting to the shock I give it and the setup went off a bit to the level when it was just weird to play him. I think this could also benefit to my lack of temporary love for this guitar. After relief correction I dig it as much as I did the day I bough it. 59/09 are truly amazing and at least for now I will keep it as it is. These pickups have added snap when comparing to 85/15 and this is what would I expect HSP90 would add here. Its not a drop dedicated axe any more. I enjoy it for the flavour now and 20 years matured wood gives the punch too.

There is a nice Gold Top McCarty on UK Reverb and I'm calculating my risk of getting divorced if I buy it to P90 the **** out of it...

I may be a day late.... But, I put Zhangbucker HB sized P-90's in my SE Santana and will never look back!

I have worked with David a few times now on some custom wound pickups. He has listened to everything I've said and nailed what it was I was looking for... I asked for rod pole pieces in the neck pickup and a regular, slightly hotter P-90 bridge pickup.

I like working with a custom winder, who actually takes my thoughts and desires and puts them into reality. If you do end up replacing the pickups, I would suggest calling whatever maker you plan on going with and asking their advice. They may recommend one of their stock pickups, or they may suggest a little custom twist. The first set of pickups I bought from Zhangbucker were some humbuckers for my Les Paul. I described what I wanted, sent a couple Youtube videos and a bit later, I got a set of pickups that nailed what I was looking for better than I imagined would happen. It was like magic. He tweaked the magnets and winds. Literally, magic.

I really couldn't be happier with either set of pickups. They made the Santana, that I liked, into a magic guitar that spends a lot of stage time kicking ass and taking names! Actually, they made both guitars into lifers.

The first set of pickups I bought from Zhangbucker were some humbuckers for my Les Paul. I described what I wanted, sent a couple Youtube videos and a bit later, I got a set of pickups that nailed what I was looking for better than I imagined would happen. It was like magic. He tweaked the magnets and winds. Literally, magic.

I really couldn't be happier with either set of pickups. They made the Santana, that I liked, into a magic guitar that spends a lot of stage time kicking ass and taking names! Actually, they made both guitars into lifers.

This is one heck of an excellent recommendation! To turn a good guitar into one that's a keeper? Doesn't get any better than that, at least for me.

I haven't tried their pickups, but if I needed different pickups, I'd certainly at least talk with them.

I may be a day late.... But, I put Zhangbucker HB sized P-90's in my SE Santana and will never look back!

I have worked with David a few times now on some custom wound pickups. He has listened to everything I've said and nailed what it was I was looking for... I asked for rod pole pieces in the neck pickup and a regular, slightly hotter P-90 bridge pickup.

I like working with a custom winder, who actually takes my thoughts and desires and puts them into reality. If you do end up replacing the pickups, I would suggest calling whatever maker you plan on going with and asking their advice. They may recommend one of their stock pickups, or they may suggest a little custom twist. The first set of pickups I bought from Zhangbucker were some humbuckers for my Les Paul. I described what I wanted, sent a couple Youtube videos and a bit later, I got a set of pickups that nailed what I was looking for better than I imagined would happen. It was like magic. He tweaked the magnets and winds. Literally, magic.

Never heard of Zhangbucker before. I will defo check them out

Zhangbucker is just one of a a number of really good winders these days. I will say that he's just a one man show (last I spoke with him, anyway). He's also getting really busy. He has a few companies that are including his pickups in their guitars.

David is a really nice guy. He's very good at winding pickups to do what you want. Very communicative and very responsive. I will support him as long as I can. His pickups really are the biz!

BUT, here is the disclaimer I must give. It takes a long time to get a custom wind. He does them one by one, in the order they come in. So, I think I had to wait two months, maybe a little longer, for my last set (the HB sized P-90's). But, having had a long wait on the first set, I knew what I was in for. I also knew it was worth the wait to me. Being a guy who makes his living making custom items, I understand how long things take. That might make it easier for me to have patience. But, I have not read of a single bad experience with Zhangbucker. Never heard of him ever not delivering.

Another option is finding something on his sale page. those ship out quick. but, it's a case of getting lucky, finding what you want already built and ready to go. But, i score a nice set of Tele pickups, that I need to get installed soon....

Check out video, Fralin Alnico hum canceling P90 for neck, it cones in Humbucker size. I’ve used P92’s before which are great. My next project guitar I plan on P92 hum canceling in bridge and Alnico hum canceling P90 for neck.

Please report when you get it :)
They are in, and they are spectacular! Exactly what I was looking for in a replacement for pickups that really didn't need replacing. This gives me a distinct tone that I'm not able to get out of my other Prs'. Gritty, growly, and clear bass response playing through the blues power channel of my Blackstar JJN 20. Me likey!

I have a humbucker-sized P90 handwound by Craig Vineham in one of my guitars. As far as I can't tell those things DO NOT sound exactly like a regular sized P90. Still, pretty close. And mine is awesome. Enjoy yours!

I have a humbucker-sized P90 handwound by Craig Vineham in one of my guitars. As far as I can't tell those things DO NOT sound exactly like a regular sized P90. Still, pretty close. And mine is awesome. Enjoy yours!

Every little detail matters!

But, I do love mine!

Back