How NON PRS players sometimes feel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danktat, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Fred Baer

Fred Baer New Member

This is an interesting topic - in my experience, this 'stigma'? reputation seems to have diminished over the past several years based on Gibsons troubles, price hikes and quality issues, as well as Fenders very rapid expansion, contraction and changing of their core line of guitars. I own guitars and basses literally from A to Z, and the many PRSi I own are not only consistently great playing, sounding and constructed guitars, but also are absolutely gorgeous because that much more care is put into the top woods. I used to get a comment or 2 when busting out my PRS, but that hasn't happened in a long time.

2. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

My brotha!:D

#42 ScottR, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  3. Herr Squid

Herr Squid I was severely impressed

It's actually far, far worse in other places. I'm a fan of 6th generation Ford Mustangs and hung out on a forum dedicated to that car for a few years as it was a really good place to pick up info on those new (at the time) cars. The V8 bigotry over there was just unbelievable, which is just silly when the turbo 4 cylinder version of the car (which I bought and enjoy the hell out of) puts out over 300 horses and torques. The mighty V8s of the previous generation couldn't do that! I could have afforded the V8 GT, but it just wasn't the right choice for me. To a certain crowd over there though, that was just self-emasculation and you would never ever convince them otherwise.

4. Herr Squid

I've known people* with good taste and the wherewithal to pay for PRS guitars who just didn't care for them. That wasn't snobbery, that was just "I tried 'em and didn't like 'em that much." My Modern Eagle was the guitar that got the "hey, now that one I like!" reaction from those folks. That was in the mid-2000s so my pet theory has been that for them the pickups were lacking something that those folks wanted. Post 2008 (i.e. post-5708 pickups), I think that problem has been fixed.

(*) Holy Carp, Alan, after I started typing it clicked that "those folks" were the northwest contingent of Boogie-Talk. Have you kept in touch?

dogrocketp likes this.
  5. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Understood. My comments were certainly not aimed at you. I just think the “My brand is better than yours” and “Only doctors and lawyers play PRS” statements are silly. I don’t understand why some feel they have to criticize. Those individuals need to listen to Thumper.

[​IMG]

6. Jo-

Jo- f-hole lover

Why Nickelback though? Why not Santana, or Neil Schon.. these guys were playing their PRSi out long before Nickelback ever came on the scene.

Or is it just because Nickelback hogged a lot of the magazine covers back in the early naughties.

Herr Squid likes this.
  7. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

I love how he added the widow's peak to compensate for my receding hairline :(

8. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

This is not uncommon, but I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing if I could. Even though I am not a race car driver, I'd own a Ferrari if I had the means.

9. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

I have not. I haven't even looked at the board in a few years. I used to keep in touch with Kingsley here and on Vintage Rocker, but he doesn't seem to post as much any more. Haven't seen him at any events in a few years - we did chat a bit at the first Experience. He's the guy who handed me a Mira and said, "You should try this."

I p!ssed a couple people off over there. I got a little tired with the "You guys are nuts for paying more than $2k for a guitar. I bought this $800 guitar and it's as good as - no, it's better - than those guitars. All I did was..." followed by a laundry list of things they changed or worked on that pretty much left the wood and the case as the only things original. I kind of made fun of that and said something like, "Huh - I pulled my guitar out of the case and played it."*

Which is not to say that mods are a bad thing - I've done them myself. But don't ask me to pretend that someone putting all that time, work, and parts into a guitar is cost-free.

* - Yes, I reworded that so as not to give Alnus a freebie!

10. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

It's good to hear from you again, Jo

dogrocketp and Jo- like this.
  11. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay!

No offense intended buddy... I know that there's always a touch of humor in your 'fan boy' comments...
    ...or at least I think there is... :D

dogrocketp, bodia and sergiodeblanc like this.
  12. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

None taken, and yes there always is.

dogrocketp and bodia like this.
  13. danktat

danktat Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist

Unfortunately, there is a segment of the musical community that seems to feel a part of something by bashing certain brands for certain things. PRS seems to be the brunt of quite a bit of it. So I don't pay that part any mind. But when I see someone come back with a good retort, sometimes I am just like "Yes, that is exactly how it is, even if I wouldn't have thought to word it that way". My understanding is that that guy's friend didn't have much more to say on it after that. :D

dogrocketp, Alnus Rubra and 11top like this.
  14. rpoce24

rpoce24 New Member

Yet you goto a guitar store, or try to order one online, and PRS is the brand that most consistently has waiting for more stock, pre-order for the next batch, or we are sold out and trying to get more. When my wife got me mine for the holidays, she tried buying locally and was consistently told; we do not have anymore, they sell out as soon as we get them in stock, we are not sure when more are coming in.

For a brand that has a stigma, they sure have a loyal following and sell well. Honestly, I think the stigma is diminished to the point of gone. My instructor, who is mainly a Fender guy, played my CE 24, and told me to keep brining it because he wants to play it again. He is one of those baseball bat neck people, and even admitted he liked the pattern thin neck. He also wants to get his hands on a Silver Sky, but there are non for sale locally at this time.

dogrocketp likes this.
  15. Iceman101

Iceman101 There's always room for one more.....

16. Parralax view

Parralax view New Member

The only and I mean only time someone has commented on my PRS is at a jam I was at here in Honolulu. The host had an SE Single Cut that I could barely play due to it being so low action wise. I'm a bit heavy handed, hence I like higher action, but I pulled out my McCarty and the only comment was, "Oh....he has a real one". Other than that, Honolulu musicians seem to be completely captivated with PRS guitars. I've seen lots of them at jams and bar performances. Dan's Guitars here is the only pusher of the mark and they usually have a waiting list for instruments..

bodia and dmatthews like this.
  17. HoovHead

HoovHead New Member

File under “More Money Than Talent”.

18. danktat

danktat Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist

Lol....unfortunately, I don't have too much of either

19. Ryan Murphy

Ryan Murphy Stares at bright lights

We should start a club. ;)

Alnus Rubra and danktat like this.
  20. Herr Squid

I didn't pick up on the "expensive guitars are stupid" vibe, but I did go through a patch of time where I was just fed up with the endless avalanche of all kinds of email. I snapped and unsubscribed, figuring I would go back if I missed it. And I did a little bit, but never found a link or other reference to get back in the door. Didn't feel strongly enough to try hard.

But now we're here and it's all good. Back to our regularly scheduled PRS forum goodness!

dogrocketp likes this.