How many here are 40-55 and are going to actually play in public for the first time ?

I'm 43 and me and the guys i play with just found a singer a couple of weeks ago...2013 might be my year as well!

Good luck chaps!

First gig is always nerve wracking but also enormous fun! Once you've done it you'll be itching to get right back up there and do another one.

I did my first gig back in 2000 but it's been a while since my last, so I think i'll join you in making 2013 the year to get back into it!

Last edited:
You only live once. Rock your socks off while you (still) can!I'm pushing 50 and getting into bed at 3am is pretty tough. 8o

I'm 55 and only played in coffee house size rooms until the last (old original) PRS Forum event, in '03 (?), where I played in front of 200+ GUITAR PLAYERS!!! I was scared sh!tless! Until I hit the first chord...

Stepping off the stage, I couldn't wait to do it agin...

About 5 years ago, I was "volunteered" to play in the band for our Synagogue's production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat". I'd never played musical theater, nor had any idea how to read charts. But, after a month of rehearsals, I felt that was up to the task. Opening night, I asked how many tickets were sold. I was told 750-800...

WHAT??? Thank god the room was dark and I couldn't see most of them! I little kid actually asked me to autograph his program after the shot. Ego rush? You betcha! :laugh:

Jamie

I'm 40, but have been gigging off and on since college. A few years ago, my dad and two of his high school surf band buddies all ended up living in the same town again. After watching my band play, they all got the itch again. A few weeks later, they got the band back together: the drummer, who is an excellent musician bought a kit(he hadn't played drums for decades, but plays keys and a little guitar), the bass player went out and bought a Jazz bass and a small amp. My dad has been playing ever since high school, but only at his house. He's the first person I knew to own a PRS (not many high end guitars in the town I grew up in). I would sit in with them, jamming in the drummer's basement.

After a year or so, they ran into a friend from high school that sings and plays. Not long after that, a friend of a friend joined in at one of our quarterly jams. She's about 30 and a music therapist, who now sings with the Colo Symphany choir. After a few months, we booked our first gig last summer. It was amazingly fun to see my dad and his friends (in their mid 60s) relive their hi school experiences, then expand on them. We're now more of a blues and classic rock band than a surf band, but the "group of friends" vibe runs strong. We generally gig once or twice a month, but have been off for a few months.

You'll love the experience...if you remember it! It'll go by fast, but I'm sure the euphoria will remain.

Go get 'em!

thanks fellas.. I made a video of myself playing the solo on Two Tickets to Paradise and caught myself staring at the fretboard open mouthed almost drooling.. Note to self.. dont drool.

47, here, need to form a band first, lol. Maybe 2013 will be my year to do this. But finding a drummer, bassist and some others won't be easy. Hard to find the time with a job where I travel, and 3 kids.

I've had the first time rush, and a few gigs after, but nothing steady. I'd love to find or start a band this year. But like IRG, with work and kids, it will be tuff to do. Others have so I guess that is no excuse.

Took a break from mid 20s to late 40s.. felt like the first time again. Went pretty smooth. Don't stress, prepare as best you can, the rest will take care of itself. And if there is a trainwreck, get off, and get going again.

I'm 40, but have been gigging off and on since college. A few years ago, my dad and two of his high school surf band buddies all ended up living in the same town again. After watching my band play, they all got the itch again. A few weeks later, they got the band back together: the drummer, who is an excellent musician bought a kit(he hadn't played drums for decades, but plays keys and a little guitar), the bass player went out and bought a Jazz bass and a small amp. My dad has been playing ever since high school, but only at his house. He's the first person I knew to own a PRS (not many high end guitars in the town I grew up in). I would sit in with them, jamming in the drummer's basement.

After a year or so, they ran into a friend from high school that sings and plays. Not long after that, a friend of a friend joined in at one of our quarterly jams. She's about 30 and a music therapist, who now sings with the Colo Symphany choir. After a few months, we booked our first gig last summer. It was amazingly fun to see my dad and his friends (in their mid 60s) relive their hi school experiences, then expand on them. We're now more of a blues and classic rock band than a surf band, but the "group of friends" vibe runs strong. We generally gig once or twice a month, but have been off for a few months.

You'll love the experience...if you remember it! It'll go by fast, but I'm sure the euphoria will remain.

Go get 'em!

Awesome story! Been playing out a long time myself, but every first time with a new band is like starting over again. I'm putting a new cover band together right now so we will be doing our first gig sometime soon as well. And yes, there is nothing quite like it... Just be sure to enjoy it guys!

Uhhh one more question..Im 49 and married (happily for 14 yrs)..Not that I will act on it,Im not the lead singer ...but uhhh do the ladies really ingratitiate themselves after the show? We will be playing for a crowd of 75-150 people.

So many want to play out but say they just never get the opportunity. You just have to keep your eyes open! Here's an example...

About 19 years ago, we had just moved in to our current house. I was working my butt off and we had 2 toddlers in tow. No spare time, always tired, the American dream. ;) Mrs. B just gave the the OK to hang the guitars on the living room wall and was under the pressure of those guitars screaming to be played more...and hadn't gigged in 4 years. My neighbor came over to borrow a ladder or something, walked up to the door passing the windows in front of the living room and the "guitar museum". He completely forgot why he came over and insisted, "I didn't know you played! You're playing with us." But I was concerned that I wasn't familiar enough with '50s/'60s music to be an asset. He again insisted, "It's 3 chords. Doesn't matter the song, I'll call out the key and you start playing. Wanna practice on saturday?" :D Come to find out, these guys played in the Indianapolis area in the 60s and opened for numerous HUGE acts when they came thru town. Today, I'm the only one that isn't retired and on social security but they are still awesome musicians and we have a great time.

It all goes to show, sometimes the music finds YOU! Be ready when it does.

Back