How Can I Tell If My 2018 594 Wood Library Is An Artist Model?

Stephen L Hardy

I just purchased this used from GC a few days ago, but don't have much info on it. It has a Brazilian fret board, what appears to be MOP Birds, a gorgeous top, some figuring on the mahogany back and came with a black paisley case. The top is as nice, or nicer than any "10" top I've seen, but there's no "10" on the head stock.

story.php

Last edited:
WL is above a 10 top. Often better than an or = to an Artist, some = to PS.

Thanks for your response. However, I've seen quite a few wood library guitars currently listed on dealer's websites as having "10" tops. So, if a wood library guitar isn't marked with a "10" on the head stock, does that mean the top is an artist or private stock top? Also, how can you tell for sure between artist and private stock tops?

Wish I could post a photo, but I'm new to the forum and not allowed to post any links yet.

Last edited:
Is there any literature - the hangtag for example - in the case. It may tell you on that.

I would think its a wood library 594 for the Brazilian Rosewood neck but that doesn't always mean the top is a 10-top. It may of been 'downgraded' after the staining for example but by which time, the neck has already been glued in. Maybe its an AP top which also doesn't get a '10' or mark on the headstock. Could be a special run for a Dealer so got a Paisley case. Its not a 'regular' core - at least I don't think so with a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard - that someone opted to buy a Paisley case for. The hangtag would give more info but my best guess would be that it was built as a special run for a PRS dealer...

If there is no hang tag in the case, check the side of the case for the MODCAT. It's an alpha numeric code that, on Core models, will tell you all of the specs about the guitar (it also located underneath the bridge pick up). On Wood Library, and Artist package guitars, it's different, and won't tell you like it would on a Core. Often times Wood Library runs will have Artist Grade tops. The thing that sets the two apart is an Artist Package is typically a one off order for a customer, or shop. Wood Library runs would be a group of 10 guitars that a dealer would spec, and hand select the woods for.

For example, I have a Wood Library 509 that a dealer did a run of 10 of. They all had Artist grade tops. It was still a Wood Library though, based on the run of 10.

If you've got a MODCAT, you can decode it here:

http://www.toragraphics.com/modcat/

If there is no hang tag in the case, check the side of the case for the MODCAT. It's an alpha numeric code that, on Core models, will tell you all of the specs about the guitar (it also located underneath the bridge pick up). On Wood Library, and Artist package guitars, it's different, and won't tell you like it would on a Core. Often times Wood Library runs will have Artist Grade tops. The thing that sets the two apart is an Artist Package is typically a one off order for a customer, or shop. Wood Library runs would be a group of 10 guitars that a dealer would spec, and hand select the woods for.

For example, I have a Wood Library 509 that a dealer did a run of 10 of. They all had Artist grade tops. It was still a Wood Library though, based on the run of 10.

If you've got a MODCAT, you can decode it here:

http://www.toragraphics.com/modcat/

The only thing revealing on the hang tag is that it says "Wood Library". No modcat on the case unfortunately. I'm stumped. The back of the head stock says only for sale in the US, which I believe verifies the Brazzy fret board. I wonder if the head stock veneer is Brazzy as well? Is it common to have that if the fret board is Brazzy? Would PRS have detailed info associated with the serial number?

The only thing revealing on the hang tag is that it says "Wood Library". No modcat on the case unfortunately. I'm stumped. The back of the head stock says only for sale in the US, which I believe verifies the Brazzy fret board. I wonder if the head stock veneer is Brazzy as well? Is it common to have that if the fret board is Brazzy? Would PRS have detailed info associated with the serial number?

If it says its a Wood Library then you have your answer. Wood Library guitars are guitars that use a different wood to the regular core series which is why yours has a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard and most likely the headstock veneer too.

The MODCAT number should be under the Pick-ups if its no longer on the case. Brazilian Rosewood is also why that Guitar is for US markets. Its not common to have Brazilian Rosewood hence its reserved foe wood library and Private Stock guitars ...

The easiest guide for Wood Library is:
10 on headstock = 10 Top
No 10 = Artist Top

Wood Library runs can be done as 10 top grade or Artist grade. The difference between a "normal" 10 or Artist top is, these are hand-picked as among the best examples of the grades.

Price is also generally a good guide for new ones. You pay a higher premium for Artist grade wood.

But there are some solid top color Wood Library guitars, so they also do not have a 10. And knowing PRS, there are surely some other exceptions, too.

My DGT is a Wood Library run from Dave's. I shot support an email with my serial number and they got back to me with the specs. It's an Artist package with Wood Library choices (figured maple neck for example). The top is not marked "10" because it doesn't need to be as it's an AP WL guitar. I have yet to pull the pickups and look at the MODCAT.

The easiest guide for Wood Library is:
10 on headstock = 10 Top
No 10 = Artist Top

Wood Library runs can be done as 10 top grade or Artist grade. The difference between a "normal" 10 or Artist top is, these are hand-picked as among the best examples of the grades.

Price is also generally a good guide for new ones. You pay a higher premium for Artist grade wood.

But there are some solid top color Wood Library guitars, so they also do not have a 10. And knowing PRS, there are surely some other exceptions, too.

Well that is the answer to the $64 question! No “10” means Artist Grade. Cool! Thank you. Now my only unknown is if it has a Brazilian head stock veneer. Guess I’ll have to pull the pickup & get the mod cat.

I found the sticker on the outside of the case, but the characters don’t fit the modcat format on the decoder page. The serial number is listed, then next to it is “WLB1193_DS”. Also shown is “DOM: 05/17/18”. I’m guessing “WLB1193_DS” may hold the key, but I can’t decode it, other than “WLB” = wood library.

Thoughts?

I found the sticker on the outside of the case, but the characters don’t fit the modcat format on the decoder page. The serial number is listed, then next to it is “WLB1193_DS”. Also shown is “DOM: 05/17/18”. I’m guessing “WLB1193_DS” may hold the key, but I can’t decode it, other than “WLB” = wood library.

Thoughts?

Wood Library doesn't follow the normal MODCAT format. PRS customer service will fill in the details.

Thanks for all of that info. So, I emailed PRS with the serial # and they responded in 15 minutes. I found out that the guitar has the following specs!

· Artist Model

· Peruvian Mahogany neck

· Brazilian Rosewood fret board

· Brazilian Rosewood head stock veneer

· Artist grade figured Maple top

· Mother of Pearl bird inlays

Thanks for all of that info. So, I emailed PRS with the serial # and they responded in 15 minutes. I found out that the guitar has the following specs!

· Artist Model

· Peruvian Mahogany neck

· Brazilian Rosewood fret board

· Brazilian Rosewood head stock veneer

· Artist grade figured Maple top

· Mother of Pearl bird inlays

So now you know exactly and hope you get to have many, many hours of enjoyment from it. I love my 594 (just a regular non-10 top core) and look forward to seeing pics - you must have made enough messages to be able to give us all Pictures. I use Imgur myself to upload pictures to which I can then post pictures of my guitars here. I prefer Imgur as it doesn't have ugly watermarks like Photobucket does...

Glad you found your answer.

AFAIK, Wood Library just means they use different woods than regular Core models. There can be 10 tops, Artist tops, and just regular tops. I've seen quite a few WL guitars that had less than average figured tops, that definitely aren't 10-tops, much less Artist Package... I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time today.

If it says its a Wood Library then you have your answer. Wood Library guitars are guitars that use a different wood to the regular core series which is why yours has a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard and most likely the headstock veneer too.

The MODCAT number should be under the Pick-ups if its no longer on the case. Brazilian Rosewood is also why that Guitar is for US markets. Its not common to have Brazilian Rosewood hence its reserved foe wood library and Private Stock guitars ...

No, WL guitars can have 10 tops or artist tops. Mine has a “10” on the upper right hand corner of the headstock. They can also be artist models.

No, WL guitars can have 10 tops or artist tops. Mine has a “10” on the upper right hand corner of the headstock. They can also be artist models.

I didn't contradict that - I know Wood Libraries can have 10-tops. There is no mark though for Artist Pack and AP can have a wider range of colour options too. All I said was that the Brazilian Rosewood used was indicative of a Wood Library guitar - it would be obvious if it was a Private Stock and the Brazilian Rosewood means its not a regular core. I didn't mention the grading of the top in this post at all...

EDIT: I have just read back through ALL my posts here and not once did I say a Wood Library can't have a 10-top or Artist grade top that also wouldn't be marked - I even said the same in post #4...

Back