Hmm, what guitar should I buy? Or did I buy?

Aww... g@dd@mmit, that’s rad. I want one of those so bad but my wife says no to seafoam and anything that’s not a Santana.

You need to order a white pick guard immediately, trust me.

I do like the look of white pick guards in some of the other color options, but for this one the black looks just right to me, for some reason. Maybe it's the relatively dark fretboard.

So it arrived yesterday, looks exactly as shown in the seller's photos, so I'm in no hurry to do my own photo shoot. Played it a bit when I unpacked it at work over lunch through a little practice amp, and then really got to play it later in the evening through my pedal board and into the HXDA. Yeah baby, it does the Neil Young Cortez the Killer sound really nice!

Gonna take me some time to adjust to the positioning of the bigsby whammy bar - it is limited in movement across the strings (hard stop), so I need to have mostly just my pinky wrapped around it, bit of ring finger. I'm used to "normal" trems where I tend to keep the trem bar in my palm across the part just below my fingers (across the area with a crease called the "distal transverse", apparently).

It came with Shaller strap locks installed - not sure if I want to restore to factory PRS or buy a set of locks for a strap...

Just what I bought Monday for the same reason, plus it looks like they aren't making it anymore. I'm sticking a pearloid pickguard on mine (frost blue), and I love the Schaller buttons/locks fwiw.

Last edited:
Took it to practice last night, knowing one of my bandmates would drool over it. He was amazed at how good the neck felt, and was even more startled to learn that it was a US-made PRS that I picked up for not much more than SE pricing. Everyone likes the color, too.

I brought it thinking it might be a bit of a one-trick pony and would be "underwhelming" for the songs where I usually play acoustic (or pseudo acoustic using a P24 or other piezo equipped electric). But into a BodyRez, then into a Fishman Aura, into an acoustic amp, using the coil tapped middle position it sounded pretty darned good!

I wrote a song a while back using my RL SH Vela, which never sounded quite the same on any other guitar. Except for now - because the Vela uses a Starla pickup, the Starla got very very close to the original tone. If someone else played them back to back I'm not sure I would hear the difference. So that was kinda cool.

Oh, and I bought Schaller strap locks. Weird thing is I first just put the strap parts on, and they feel "loose" on the pins that cam with the guitar. So I installed the corresponding new pins, and all is well. I dont' know if they guitar came with "knock-off" pins, or if Schaller has altered the design - the new strap locks are the kind with the thumb wheel on the strap, not a nut, and the pins have integral screws that can't be separated from the body. Shrug - I was going to swap out the pins anyway - they were nickel, and I bought a black set to match the new black strap.

Last edited:
Rise up, the resurrection of the dead (thread)!

I took my Starla to an open mike yesterday (my band/sound company was co-hosting & running sound), because I decided I'd like to play Cortez the Killer - we usually do a mix of originals, old public-domain trad, and covers, and I was feeling Neil Young-ish.

The guitar rocked, did a great job nailing that NY tone. I also did some light distortion on our version of "The Bonny Swans" (somewhat in the style of Loreena Mckennitt), and a pseudo-acoustic rhythm and lead break on some originals and other covers (we ended up with two sets, 15 min each, because sign-up was light at first). Got asked to help out on lead for another musician during his set, including a cover of Thank You (Led Zepp), which was interesting - I don't think I've ever played that song before, but I think I did it justice.

A few photos:

Z6D3X9y.jpg

That's my wife playing bass! She loves that Kingfisher she, um, stole from me...

4Vg20jM.jpg

XSY2isl.jpg

The other guitarist in our band is playing my wife's bass here. Afterwards, someone made the comment that they had never seen a PRS bass before...spreading the word!

Rise up, the resurrection of the dead (thread)!

I took my Starla to an open mike yesterday (my band/sound company was co-hosting & running sound), because I decided I'd like to play Cortez the Killer - we usually do a mix of originals, old public-domain trad, and covers, and I was feeling Neil Young-ish.

The guitar rocked, did a great job nailing that NY tone. I also did some light distortion on our version of "The Bonny Swans" (somewhat in the style of Loreena Mckennitt), and a pseudo-acoustic rhythm and lead break on some originals and other covers (we ended up with two sets, 15 min each, because sign-up was light at first). Got asked to help out on lead for another musician during his set, including a cover of Thank You (Led Zepp), which was interesting - I don't think I've ever played that song before, but I think I did it justice.

A few photos:

Z6D3X9y.jpg

That's my wife playing bass! She loves that Kingfisher she, um, stole from me...

4Vg20jM.jpg

XSY2isl.jpg

The other guitarist in our band is playing my wife's bass here. Afterwards, someone made the comment that they had never seen a PRS bass before...spreading the word!

Nice! Extra points for wearing an (almost) matching t-shirt! I hope you had on green shoes, too!

Really nice photos, so jealous of your weather. We’re currently freezing our n@ds off! Lovely guitar.
It chilled down later, I had to put on a second t-shirt when the sun went down - it's warmer today, almost jumped in the pool.

There is not a PRSi I own that I regret in any way - they all have great playing feel, super quality whether Core, S2, or SE, and bring a unique quality to how they sound.

Nice! Extra points for wearing an (almost) matching t-shirt! I hope you had on green shoes, too!
Sandals, dude, this is central Florida! If I'm outside and not being all professional-like, I'm generally wearing sandals or barefoot, unless it actually gets below 40 deg F. Yeah, the shirt was a complete fluke.

Back