Hmm, what guitar should I buy? Or did I buy?

shinksma

What? I get a title?
So I've been drooling a bit over the new Silver Sky colors.

But I really want a maple fretboard.

I also drooled a bit over the new SE Paul's Guitar.

But it is a stop tail, and although that seems to be what Paul likes, there are core Paul's that were made with trems. And there are a few used ones available at not totally ridiculous prices.

On the other hand, I've had a hankering for a DC3 forever, and that hasn't really been abated by the Silver Sky, especially since maple board versions are available every now and then, although prices have grown in the last year.

Or maybe an NF3. Those narrow fields are supposed to be a bit single-coil-ish. Hmm, any available (or ever made) with a maple board?

Maybe an EG? Hmm, not sure if any come with maple boards. That maple board thing is getting to be either a virtue or flaw in my plans.

Ooh, how about a SAS 25th with 3 NFs? None available right now at useful prices, but they also pop up occasionally. And they often have maple boards.

As you can see, I seem to be in a strat-ish whammy-bar based platform mode. Either true single coils or NFs, but something with a trem for sure.

DC3? NF3? Paul's? EG? SAS-NF? Finally give into the lure of the Silver Sky?

So I bought a Starla. (S2 variant.)

Hey, at least I got one with the Bigsby, not the stop-tail variant.

Should be here next week.

I have no pics of my own yet. I will snag the seller's pics and upload those.

Here we go:

qRP1IeB.png

fbSRO4B.png

Even better with photos.
Nice pick mate.
Thanks! I've been looking for a variety of models in seafoam green, so this ticks that box. I won't pass on a DC3 in Seafoam, though...

I was struggling with whether I should get a core for the slightly different pups (more like Gretsch Filtertrons, supposedly) and the shorter scale length, but the availability, color, locking tuners, and price all settled out in favor of this one.

If I should stumble across a core in a color I like at a really good price, I may snag it just for comparison's sake.

My core Starla/Bigsby is my least expensive, but one of my very favorite guitars I own. It does so much so well that several others in my collection may soon go on the chopping block ... like my CS Tele for one.

Aside from the great, vintage flavored tones, it just looks so damn cool, like something that really was designed in the mid-60s. It's a modern guitar with an old soul.

Back