Help with info on my new PRS

usmc93

Received this as a surprise gift from my wife (military retirement). I think I am reading the serial # correct. Seems to be a 2019 but I cant decipher any other info past that? I assume it is a Custom 24 based on the tag from the store (they told her it was new/old stock) and I am new to PRS. Could be used but appears flawless if it was. Any info is appreciated (also anyone know what PRS calls this color?).

BQHwAWt.jpeg

3kA4pNP.jpeg

RKHmh2C.jpeg

gzwNdvX.jpeg

Congratulations! Thank you for your service. That’s a beautiful guitar, your wife clearly loves you.

The info posted so far is good. I’ve also gotten mostly helpful responses based on the serial number, sent to the info email at PRS.

Last edited:
Completely agree with @DISTORT6 on that stained binding, that's next level nice!
One very sweet retirement gift from your wife!

How does it play?
Thoughts?
Thanks so much. It plays way beyond my meager guitar skills but it sounds amazing and I can just feel the quality. I have not owned a "nice" guitar until this one.

Last edited:
Yeah, that stained binding is the shiznit! Congrats on a great score and what seems to be (on first impression anyway) a great wife!! I would not be surprised if that is a Wood Library (WL) version of the CU24. A WL version is one that a dealer orders with some custom specs in quantities of 10. They are basically Core guitars, but have something a bit different than the standard Core guitar (like different woods, different electronics, etc.). The basic config of a CU24 of this era is mahogany neck, mahogany body, maple top, rosewood fretboard, 85/15 pickups. Here is a link to the current CU24 specs and I don't think anything has changed since '19! As for the color, my guess would be Fire with Black Burst.

Last edited:
The case would have come from the factory with a sticker having a barcode and a bunch of numbers and letters underneath. If that's still there, the code will have most or all of the model specs. No need to look under the pickups if you've got that.

The case would have come from the factory with a sticker having a barcode and a bunch of numbers and letters underneath. If that's still there, the code will have most or all of the model specs. No need to look under the pickups if you've got that.
What he says. The sticker on the case will tell you the same and no risk of nicks in the beautiful finish of the guitar.

I was thinking Wood Library as well, due to the stained binding. Looks very cool!

Gorgeous guitar!

As others have said, the stained binding around the edge is something not commonly done. Conversely to what others have said, though, I've never seen it done on Wood Library runs....they've always been a one-off here or there. C&M Music out of LA seem to get them more commonly than other dealers.

But yeah....2019 Custom 24, the color looks to be Blood Orange Smokeburst to me. Most likely has 85/15 pickups in it...great for everything from modern rock, to blues, to classic rock, and I'd even say do jazz well enough.

Congratulations on the retirement! I’m guessing you went into the USMC in 1993? A thirty-year career in the Marines is something to be very proud of! I had the opportunity to serve alongside some Marines when I was in the USAF. Great guys, made of much sterner stuff than I am.

Congratulations on the guitar, too! Your wife may have started you down a path she didn’t anticipate. My wife encourage me to get my first PRS four years ago. Turns out my meager playing is just one part of my guitar hobby and my wife has gotten a bit numb to things showing up at the house with the letters PRS on them.

Another Thing I Noticed That Is Worth Mentioning Is That The Serial Number Looks Like The Color It Is Written In Matches The Red Color Of The Guitar/Binding. Usually The Serial Numbers Are Written In Black Or Gold. It Could Be The Lighting Of The Picture But To Me The Serial Number Looks To be Written In A Different Color. Regardless...Very Cool Guitar Indeed!

Great wife and great guitar! As others have said, it's a 2019 Custom 24. The serial numbers at PRS are sequential regardless of the model (at least on the Core line). You can use the modcat, as has been mentioned, or you can email PRS Customer Service with the serial number and they will be able to provide some details. Fantastic guitar, for sure.

Thank you for your dedication and service.

Thank you for your service! I’ve a daughter due to retire next year after 23 years, so I certainly appreciate the sacrifices for your country.

I’d guess the guitar is Fire Redburst, and the binding is a cool custom touch, as many have mentioned. I’ve never seen one like it. Plug your MODCAT in here and it’ll give you the scoop on your build.

What an awesome retirement gift! And a career you should be proud of and that lots of us are thankful for.

If you're not comfortable (yet) lifting the bridge pickup out to read the MODCAT, try contacting PRS customer support to see what info they have.

First of all, my sincere thank you for your service to your country. Second, what a beautiful guitar your wife found for you - she hit it out of the park with that score. The full frontal pic had me floored. Then I see the side views with the stained binding - that just puts it over the top.

Congrats on your first PRS, and congrats on having a wife who'd find something that unique.

Very cool gift and thank you for your service! Excellent guitar..the modcat is the way to go, under the pickup, on the case, and even sometimes on the hang tag. Letters and numbers with a barcode.

The binding is really cool! I wanted a blue one. PRS did some runs just before covid in Blue and Red. Maybe even green? They also did them for the CE line. They weren't Wood Libraries and want to say they did a run for Guitar Center too. Maybe that was just the CE for GC. Either way awesome guitar!!!

Even the red serial on the back is cool. Nice touch PRS!

Back