Help with Identifying pre-modcat Instruments

Nice!!! My bet would be that this is a custom order Cu22 with a middle pickup added... Strange that this doesn't have a 10 stamped at the back of the headstock.
I had a less figured 96 with a 10 top stamp...

Yeah it looks pretty figured to me... But I guess my eye is just less discerning than those belonging to the prs wood graders.

As for it being a custom order, this was my first thought as well. I was wondering if there were any production models with 3 pickups and the rotary and push pull combo.

Wow, yes I definitely did not restring that correctly. They did lock and I was able to tune but it didn't seem quite right.
:oops:

I was wondering if there were any production models with 3 pickups and the rotary and push pull combo.

Before the SAS came along there was an option called the “Ed King rig” which added a middle pickup. I guess they phased that out, or at least calling it that around the time they moved to Stevensville?

Ah I see thanks. Well, I'll need to sit down and figure out what all the switching does since I haven't found an explanation anywhere.

You'll have to figure it out yourself since the pickups have been replaced. There won't be anything to look up because PRS reverses the polarity of the magnets on their pickups compared to Seymour Duncan, and who knows what the guy that replaced them did, ya know?

I wonder why Sergio didn't say anything... :D

I've trained other people to do it for me now. :p

You'll have to figure it out yourself since the pickups have been replaced. There won't be anything to look up because PRS reverses the polarity of the magnets on their pickups compared to Seymour Duncan, and who knows what the guy that replaced them did, ya know?

I've trained other people to do it for me now. :p

The polarity reversal shouldn't be an issue as long as all of the new pickups installed are correctly oriented (since all were replaced). I didn't notice any issues there playing it. But it is a good point that the wiring may have been altered when this was done. I have considered that even that push/pull pot might be a modification that was done. The middle pickup routing (not the actual pickup) is stock however. Anyway, I will need to take the cover off and inspect more thoroughly to be sure.

The polarity reversal shouldn't be an issue as long as all of the new pickups installed are correctly oriented (since all were replaced). I didn't notice any issues there playing it. But it is a good point that the wiring may have been altered when this was done. I have considered that even that push/pull pot might be a modification that was done. The middle pickup routing (not the actual pickup) is stock however. Anyway, I will need to take the cover off and inspect more thoroughly to be sure.

Yeah, not that anything is wrong mind you, just different than what it probably came with.

Before the SAS came along there was an option called the “Ed King rig” which added a middle pickup. I guess they phased that out, or at least calling it that around the time they moved to Stevensville?
Yeah, not that anything is wrong mind you, just different than what it probably came with.

Agreed. Also, thanks for the lead on the Ed King setup. I have found some info in those, although none from 96.

http://www.geocities.jp/e08120/edking/ed.html

This needs to be translated and is somewhat difficult to read. But this seems to be a pretty close match. The guitar he discusses has the same thing as mine with the "10" written in the pickup cavity but not on the headstock. Also it seems the "ed king rig" is written on a sticker that is placed on the underside of the pickup.... so that ship has sailed haha.

PRS-ED-HEAD2.jpg

PRS-ED-FRONT.jpg

PRS-ED-PU2.jpg

From the end of this:
"So I asked PRS this time. Then the commercial Ed King model taught me that it was still a ham / singles / ham layout, that it was an Indian rose fingerboard, and that it was custom made. In some cases, it can be made to order, but it can not be made public accurately about production time and production number, but in any case it was a unit of several.

After all, there was no mistake that Ed King model is a considerably rare model, but it seems that there is no doubt that the person who wants this model is quite rare (laugh)."

I love the "ham / singles / ham" layout... sounds like a sandwich

I wonder why Sergio didn't say anything... :D

That's obvious; he's waiting for Adam St Pierre to get frustrated with them and spout off how he hates them. Sergio will then swoop in and convince Adam he'd be better off with some other tuners. This, of course, would leave the door wide open for Mr. deblanc to acquire them through some back alley deal, likely for less than the going rate for a top shelf bottle of bubbly.

That's obvious; he's waiting for Adam St Pierre to get frustrated with them and spout off how he hates them. Sergio will then swoop in and convince Adam he'd be better off with some other tuners. This, of course, would leave the door wide open for Mr. deblanc to acquire them through some back alley deal, likely for less than the going rate for a top shelf bottle of bubbly.

You guys are on to me...

That's obvious; he's waiting for Adam St Pierre to get frustrated with them and spout off how he hates them. Sergio will then swoop in and convince Adam he'd be better off with some other tuners. This, of course, would leave the door wide open for Mr. deblanc to acquire them through some back alley deal, likely for less than a top shelf bottle of bubbly.

Haha. No I actually like them. Also I don't want to do anything to modify the guitar further if at all possible. They work well although obviously not so well as those on my strat...

Back