Help me identify this guitar

Sansamp Stark

Hello, I was given a PRS guitar as a trade-in, but it’s very hard to find any info about it online.
Can anyone tell me more about what this guitar is and what it’s worth? And in which ways it differs from the Hollowbody II or the SE models? The truss rod cover reads “20” and it says on the documentation it’s a McCarty Hollowbody from 2009. The forum won’t let me upload photos unfortunately.

S.

Email PRS customer service with the serial number. They are normally very helpful. You have to use a third party image hosting site (like Imgur etc.) to post photos, and you may need a few more posts here also. We'd love to see pictures.

It may be a Hollowbody Spruce, which I think were still being made in 09. If so, they are quite special guitars. I have two, and they’re both great instruments… true “keeper” guitars.

As noted, PRS Customer Service will help you get it ID’ed, with a serial number and photo or two. Email is below, in my sig.

To the point of value, the market has been crazy since Covid, but you can search similar guitars on Reverb, particularly by checking the “Sold” filter box to get actual sales instead of insane asking prices.

Thanks for the info so far, I wrote to PRS and this was their response:

“Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars.

Serial# ****** is a 2005 Hollowbody 22, with a Spruce top, Mahogany neck with a Wide-Fat profile, East Indian Rosewood fretboard with bird inlays, stoptail bridge, Archtop treble and bass pickups, finished in Tri-Color Sunburst, with nickel hardware.”

Does anyone know more about this guitar? Googling Hollowbody 22 yields no results still

That’s a great and pretty sought after guitar. I have one and love it! Mine is a 2004.

JOHE8pG.jpg

Serial# ****** is a 2005 Hollowbody 22, with a Spruce top, Mahogany neck with a Wide-Fat profile, East Indian Rosewood fretboard with bird inlays, stoptail bridge, Archtop treble and bass pickups, finished in Tri-Color Sunburst, with nickel hardware.”

Does anyone know more about this guitar? Googling Hollowbody 22 yields no results still
Here's an old listing from one at CME. All the specs are listed. You'd have better luck searching for PRS Hollowbody Spruce. I believe the "22" in their response just meant 22 frets. Wasn't part of the actual name, that I know of.

Also, it’s a Hollowbody 1, a Hollowbody 2 would indicate that it has 2 maple sections/top and back (correct me if I’m wrong).

The HB Spruce typically has a spruce top and mahogany back.

Turns out it’s not as easy as I thought to upload photos, but I finally succeeded. Thanks for all the comments so far!

The selling price on these varies wildly so it's hard to put a number on it. The spruce top HBs are not the most popular configuration but those of us that love them, REALLY love them. I'm always looking for another one just because they're that good.

That’s a great and pretty sought after guitar. I have one and love it! Mine is a 2004.

JOHE8pG.jpg

Don't listen to this guy.. no one wants that guitar. I'll trade you my '22 SE HBII for it and even cover shipping both ways. ;)

JOHE8pG.jpg
Yep, a McCarty HB Spruce, and 2005 would make it a 20th Anniversary model.

I have two, a 99 and an 04, and they are among the best guitars I’ve ever owned. If I were you, I’d think about hanging on to that one. Better yet, ship it to me and I’ll store it with its kin.

Also, it’s a Hollowbody 1, a Hollowbody 2 would indicate that it has 2 maple sections/top and back (correct me if I’m wrong).

The HB Spruce typically has a spruce top and mahogany back.
That would make it a Hollowbody Spruce not an Hollowbody I. The HB I has a maple top with mahogany back.

Also didn’t the 20th Anniversaries have the wispy bird inlays. I would also assume the trc was from another guitar. The usual trc’s had McCarty written on them in that era.

I love my HB Spruce - this one is less than 5lbs.

IMG_2208.jpg

Back