Help me decide! (Singlecut Content Approaching)

Which Guitar should I get?

• SC250 one-off

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • SC245 Quilt

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • SC 20th

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • SC Green

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Duesenberg Starplayer TV

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

aznhobo

Hi guys. I just sold the guitar I've owned for the longest (USA Tremonti) and I intend to replace it with another one of similar value (~$2000). I'm a PRS Singlecut guy, but I'm also interested in getting something different to shake things up. I currently own a PRS Sunburst 245, a Fender Baja Telecaster, and a Fender MIM FSR Strat. I've tracked down a few finds online, from top to bottom:

1. PRS one-off SC250 with #7 neck and Santana I bridge pickups and mixed hardware
2. PRS SC245 quilt top with 5708s
3. PRS 20th Anniversary Singlecut with #7s
4. PRS Singlecut with #7s and an apparent one-piece maple top
OR
5. Duesenberg Starplayer TV in silver sparkle

133003-2up.jpg

pc0szlgl9bc0mz2ucfvj.jpg

bgitmd8d4w7gynm4x194.jpg

s98q5lxvsp0wkcvlqo6s.jpg

140419-2up.jpg

Thoughts??

Last edited:
I would get the 245 and put Starla pickups in it. That would keep you in the PRS SC arena as well as provide something different.....

Holy crap, that black one is off the charts! The 25th is pretty darn sweet, too. I'm a sucker for a painted/stained top with natural back.

My vote would be for the light blue - 3. PRS 20th Anniversary Singlecut with #7s

That Duesenbla is just fugly, imho....

...which would make it 'something different' though...

It depends. What sort of music do you play? Figure out which sound you want, but aren't getting with what you have now. For my collection, I tend to try and plug tonal gaps.

I record a lot of covers, and I play worship music live, so my styles are pretty diverse.

Personally I'd go as far from your SC245 as possible, and it seems like you don't play higher gain stuff (hence selling the Tremonti)?

What about something with P-90s, like a SC245 Ted Soapbar or SC Satin Soapbar?

I took out the 245 because it's so similar to the Sunburst 245 you have. Of the rest, #1 works for me.

Where is the "other" button? Seriously...if you haven't tried one of the SC Soaps (Ted McCarty SC with P-90's) you should add one of those into your list for consideration.

Personally I'd go as far from your SC245 as possible, and it seems like you don't play higher gain stuff (hence selling the Tremonti)?

What about something with P-90s, like a SC245 Ted Soapbar or SC Satin Soapbar?

I do play some higher gain stuff, but I don't want a guitar that can only play high gain and nothing else. I sold the Tremonti because it was too heavy (physically) and I found myself not giving it a lot of play time because the tone was a little too thin and focused to my ears.

The Duesenberg has a P-90 in the neck ;)

Since you're coming from a Tremonti, I'd suggest you get the SC 20th or the green one-piece-top one (I'm a sucker for one-piece-tops :laugh:). Those 2 are probably the closest to the Tremonti. The #7 pickups will work well for stuff ranging from classic low gain to modern high gain tones.

But did you try them out first or ask the sellers to let you know the weight? Otherwise, you might risk getting another heavy guitar.

:cheers:

I'm kinda surprised you thought the Tremonti sounded a bit too thin. The SC250 is nice, although IME I'm not so sure the one piece stop tail will thicken the sound over a trem, but every guitar has something different to offer.

Back