It has been a huge discovery for me.........

Sybo

Jim
I am a perfectionist. I am anal..... My entire life I’ve tried to “really” understand that nothing is perfect. Even though I know that to be true, I drive myself crazy seeking that perfection in things I really care about. Like my Custom Knives, I really have a Standard that I have to maintain for my Customers. The same with my music I play. I practice until I find that threshold where I am happy. I am married to a wonderful Woman that supports me, but has also helped me realize nothing really is perfect.....

Then there are guitars... I feel that when you get to a certain price point, you should expect good, consistent quality. I understand the difference between a $400 guitar and a $2400 guitar, but when people spend between $1400-$1900 for a guitar. I would think you would find a level that supports that cost point. Not with my latest experience.

I have a thing for guitar necks. Some love a particular style of guitar band are VERY dedicated to that style. ( Strat style, LP style,Tele style etc) I really like a Telecaster style guitar. But besides the visual first, the second thing I check is the neck/ frets. If the neck is not good, I cannot control the BIGGEST tone factor, the playability. I have sent back the last two Telecasters I have purchased, both American Professionals , one with a Solid Rosewood neck, a Fender FSR. The first would not perform well even when shimmed with and new nut, the Rosewood neck beauty had a twist. Now, I do my minor setups , but both of these where taken to an AMAZING Tech/ Luthier here in Nashville who worked for Gibson here at one time, so these guitars were not given to a garage hack that loves Stairway To Heaven..... Before I send the Rosie back , I showed it to another VERRY talented tech, he just shook his head and said, get rid of it.......

Boy I am long winded this Sunday morning, but I just cannot believe the inconsistency in quality control, especially when the models are towards the top of your retail offerings. I am saddened to say, I am done with you Fender. You have brought us so much great music, but If you cannot produce something that is not borderlining on a joke, I’m out.

My Wife, of course was witness to my dis-satisfaction and had a BRILLIANT suggestion. Why didn’t you get a PRS first. After sharing my love for that Tele- style thing, I thought, hell why not. I still have a Tele to round out the stable, and I have always been impressed with the neck quality of my PRS guitars. Minor setups only ever needed and some were perfect from the factory. I am not here to discuss setup idiosyncrasies, it’s about quality and the quality control PRS exhibits. With her suggestion, I started looking around and found a PRS S2 Custom22 Semi Hollow that started calling out to me. I will not be a replacement for a Tele, but I have never had neck issue with Paul’s goods. I’m sure the one arriving Monday will amazing.

https://imgur.com/a/p3DRyow I know nothing is perfect , I am sure it will be a lot closer than where I won’t be going back...............I am so exited about the new PRS, my Vela is PISSED

Last edited:
Guitar in-line
yj16iON_d.jpg

fwiw, I'm the same way about ergonomics (feel) first. I've owned many PRS guitars over the years, from SE's to at least a half dozen core models. I'm down to 2 cores (that still don't get played much...) and a few SE's.
But, I do have 3 Vela's and 1 S2 standard 22. These, especially the Vela's, really make me happy because of the neck feel and the light weight of the Vela.
I still have love for other gittars, especially Tele's, but my #1 go-to favorite model to play for the last 6-7 years is the EBMM Albert Lee. Those just feel like home to me.
That being said, the Vela has become a very close runner-up for me.

tpkXhmo.jpg

and fwiw #2, I recently installed a first version Railhammer "Tel-90" bridge pickup in this Vela, and it is by far the closest "Tele tone" I've heard from a Vela...

BTW, enjoy that new S2 22!!

If you’re looking to bring a Tele into PRS neck territory, I HIGHLY recommend a Warmoth 59 carve with 6100 frets. It approaches a DGT feel and playability with whatever you already have in your T build. Ultimately, there’s no true comparison to PRS and their attention to detail, but if you’re salvaging a guitar, it’s the next best thing.

A good post, imho.

Just more proof that a guitar is an extremely personal thing - in every way. And another wonderful example of someone recognising some of the many things we PRS fans know to be a fact about Paul's guitars - they're brilliantly built, VERY comfortable instruments.

True, nothing is perfect (though, spending more time with your PRS tends to cure most players of this outlook on life!) Wonderful to hear someone who's passionate about a different brand of guitar appreciating and recognising what Paul does.

If you’re looking to bring a Tele into PRS neck territory, I HIGHLY recommend a Warmoth 59 carve with 6100 frets. It approaches a DGT feel and playability with whatever you already have in your T build. Ultimately, there’s no true comparison to PRS and their attention to detail, but if you’re salvaging a guitar, it’s the next best thing.

Interesting. I've thought about getting a roasted maple neck for my Tele. I have been considering one with the SRV carve to get in the ballpark of the 594 neck. But I'm hesitant to chunk down that kind of money for something I haven't wrapped my hands around.

Good call. I've got a Walla Walla Tele project I'm working on and that's pretty much the neck I'll be ordering...

Good call. I've got a Walla Walla Tele project I'm working on and that's pretty much the neck I'll be ordering...
I can’t tell you how much I love my Catalpa Cabronita w/ Warmoth roasted maple 59 neck with stainless 6100s. There’s one more build up my sleeve and it will have something similar in a Strat HH config. Hopefully you’ll love it as much as I do.

Back