Hello! And NGD

BrianM

Hey gang glad to be here. Finally decided to join the PRS family. I've been playing LP style guitars for years. Several Gibby's, a few MIJ copies as well as other stuff. Anyway, picked this up on Reverb the other day and I'm really impressed with the build quality of the SE. However, I absolutely hate the pickups so I'm going to swap them out. I play a pretty tight higher gain style so I'm looking for some suggestions. I have been using a Bill Lawrence L500l for years paired with a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck. I was looking at the Tremonti set as the specs seems to be what I'm into. Any thoughts are appreciated. Anyway here's the new girl..

Last edited:
Hey gang glad to be here. Finally decided to join the PRS family. I've been playing LP style guitars for years. Several Gibby's, a few MIJ copies as well as other stuff. Anyway, picked this up on Reverb the other day and I'm really impressed with the build quality of the SE. However, I absolutely hate the pickups so I'm going to swap them out. I play a pretty tight higher gain style so I'm looking for some suggestions. I have been using a Bill Lawrence L500l for years paired with a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck. I was looking at the Tremonti set as the specs seems to be what I'm into. Any thoughts are appreciated. Anyway here's the new girl..

Congrats, and welcome! I'm curious about your pickups though - It looks like you bought an SE 594 McCarty, right? Those come stock with covered pickups (58/15 LT "S"), and yours obviously aren't. Is it used, and the previous owner already swapped out the pickups with something else?

Personally, I'm a fan of the 58/15s, but not everyone is. However it seems like your guitar doesn't actually have them installed currently...

Congrats, and welcome! I'm curious about your pickups though - It looks like you bought an SE 594 McCarty, right? Those come stock with covered pickups (58/15 LT "S"), and yours obviously aren't. Is it used, and the previous owner already swapped out the pickups with something else?

Personally, I'm a fan of the 58/15s, but not everyone is. However it seems like your guitar doesn't actually have them installed currently...
Wondered the same. Either the pickups or swapped the covers when they did the lampshades and tuners.

Hi, they are indeed the stock pickups. However the previous owner changed the covers. He preferred the look of the black more than the Chrome. Either way I'm not really big on the sound of the pickups that are in it so I'm going to swap them. I will be taking them out either today or tomorrow I'll be sure to get pics of the back so that we can confirm they are stock pickups.

Congrats On Your New Guitar And Welcome To The Forum.

Regarding Pickups...It Depends On What You Need Out f Them In Addition To Your Rig/Signal Chain. Every Piece Of That Chain Matters. Do You Need More Output And Gain? So You Just Need A Tighter Or Quicker Response Time/Feel From The Pickup? What Are TheNatural Attributes Of The Guitar Unplugged? You Will Have To Work (In A Way) With The Sonic Card You Have Been Dealt With Regarding The Wood Of Your Guitar.

I Have Had Great Results In My Various PRS Guitars With These Pickups Listed Below. If You Can List Your Rig And More Details That I Mentioned Above I Am Happy To Help You Funnel It Down So You Can Make A Quality Decision For You.

BKP - Aftermath
BKP - Nail Bomb (Ceramic)
BKP - Black Dog
BKP - Rebel Yell
BKP - Polymath
BKP - Juggernaut

SD - Alpha Omega
SD - Black Winter
SD - Nazgul Sentient
SD - Pegasus Sentient

PRS - Tremonti
PRS - 59/09
PRS - \m/

Suhr - Aldrich

Edit: OOPS! I See As I Was Making This List You Were Ordering The Tremonti Pickups. I Will Leave My List In Hopes It May Be Beneficial To Others Looking For Suggestions. :)

Looking forward to your thoughts of them in a Cu24.
I Threw A Set In A Custom 24 I Had And They Were A Huge Improvement (To Me) Over The Stock Pickups. The Guitar Sounded Great And I Would Have Kept It If I Could Have Gotten Along With The Thin Neck. It Was A Great Guitar And One Of The Prettiest PRS Guitars I Have Ever Seen. A Dear Friend Loved That Guitar From Day 1 And Bought It. Anyway, I Feel They Would Suit You Very Well In A Custom 24. :)

Back