hardware type

kmiko

Can anyone help me understand the differences in hardware type? Nickel, gold, hybrid...What are the affects on tone? What makes one better than the other? Other differences?
I've looked on this and other forums, and haven't been able to find a discussion on this, although I'm sure it's been talked about lots.
Thanks!

Tonal effects should be minimal as the finishes are just that...base materials for the hardware is all the same.

IMO the finish on hardware is such a small part of the material, I would doubt it would have much of an effect tonally.

The base metal that the bridge is made from will have be likely to have the most noticeable effect on the tone of the instrument. But there are so many other variables, that this is just one part of the tonality of your instrument.

It won't have much, if any, impact on tone. Most will be nickel. Dependent upon model, and finish level. For example, Hybrid (really just a combination of both nickel and gold) used to be for Wood Library, and above. Now, it comes on 10 Tops, as well.

Back