Guitars in Sunlight

sixstringoverdrive

Hey Everyone,
I normally hang my silver sky and McCarty guitars on a wall next to our window. For a few hours a day the sunlight seems to hit them directly.

I’ve touched them before and they are pretty warm after being in the sun. I’m not really worried about finish problems, but should I be worried about the neck joint and the glue?

I wouldn’t worry about the neck joint and glue, but the dyes, especially any blue, but other colors to lesser degree, can fade over time, and a lot of people don’t notice it until it’s too late.

My music room is in my basement, and has a shade over the window, so no direct sunlight. I hang my SE’s and S2’s, but the Artist 594, which has a lot of blue and purple flair in the charcoal finish, is in the case 100% of the time (unless I’m playing it, of course).

The time you have to worry about the glue is if you leave your guitar in the car on a hot summer day.

In sunlight only finish would be affected after a while...as others have said.

The time you have to worry about the glue is if you leave your guitar in the car on a hot summer day.

In sunlight only finish would be affected after a while...as others have said.

My "road guitars" (LP and a bunch of Teles) were regularly in very hot and very cold weather. We'd be in Biloxi and the amps are sweating in the case from the humidity or way up in MN where it was below 0 fahrenheit.

Ironically, the only one I ever had issues with is my J45 that stays at home all the time. The top cracked on that one.

Back