Guitar + amp + effect combinations

coyote

408/1=
Inspired by the "that classic rock tone" thread.... Different guitars sound better thru different amps, and effects work better or worse depending on the guitar & amp. My Strats sound brilliant thru a Marshall and all my effects seem to work with that rig. The above also sound good thru the Princeton Reverb II, and the Envelope Phaser sounds better in that amp than in the Marshall. The Ibanez Artist sounds best thru the Princeton Reverb II but sounds good in any amp....

My PRS 408 sounds good in the above rigs, but sounds phenomenal in the Fender Blues Deluxe amp. The neck pup selections that sound kinda 'squawky' in the Marshall and PRII sound full and open and lush in the Blues Deluxe. And the Boss Chorus that sounds so cool with a Strat sounds brittle with the 408, while the Boss flanger sounds gorgeous in this gtr-amp combo. A Strat in the Blues Deluxe, otoh, sounds thin.

So then. What's your experience with gtr-amp-effect combinations?

I agree that matching guitars to amps and effects makes for wonderful combinations. Of course, each of us wants something different!

Back