Guilford back plates

NBW

Anyone have any experience with these? I’d love to have matched grain back plates on my SE custom. I’d have to match the stain and gloss I guess.

Hijacking this thread to ask about their pickup rings (or anywhere preferable). Looking to get a set of maple ones to replace the plastics on the ME1.

Any advice is very welcome.

Anyone have any idea where I could find out what kind of stain to use to match my axe?

Hijacking this thread to ask about their pickup rings (or anywhere preferable). Looking to get a set of maple ones to replace the plastics on the ME1.

Any advice is very welcome.

I've bought several sets of rosewood pickup rings from John Guilford for my PRSii, over the years. Delivery was fine and the quality was good.

=K

I have his pickup rings on my CU24 and they are really good quality. The attention to detail is great, even the recess hole for the pickup height screw. They are way better than the rosewood ones I originally had on it.

I bought a set of pickup rings from him years ago, that was a great experience.

However, a couple years later, I purchased a set of back plates from him. In the nine months it took to receive them (originally told 60 days) I had unresponsive emails and little to no information on progress or ETA. When I would get an estimated ship-date, it wasn't fulfilled and then would continue with unresponsive emails. When I finally received my back plates, they looked like they had been rushed (clear coat was hazy and looked uneven) and shipped out. While the color match was a bit off, the quality of the wood itself looked nice.

I'm absolutely not trying to bash the guy's business....I know he does great work and had a great experience with my first purchase. I'm sure he was incredibly busy and my back plates just didn't take priority over some of the other projects he had going on. It is, however, something to be mindful of.

Last edited:
The only thing I would watch out for is to specify that the backplates are for an SE and not a Core guitar. I could be wrong on the size differences, but SEs are not countersunk like the Core models. I'm not sure if that impacts anything, but I'd hate for anyone to spend money on custom parts and not be able to use them.

The only thing I would watch out for is to specify that the backplates are for an SE and not a Core guitar. I could be wrong on the size differences, but SEs are not countersunk like the Core models. I'm not sure if that impacts anything, but I'd hate for anyone to spend money on custom parts and not be able to use them.

Only the trem plates aren’t countersunk on SEs.

Care to elaborate for me? It sounds like not everyone has had a great experience.

Pretty much the same experience that elrytnamrogo stated above. I ordered a set of RW rings for a 408. Crickets for months. I reached out, was given an ETA. It came and went. Reached out again, was given another ETA. We're at 10+ months at this point. ETA missed. Order canceled. I don't think I ever got my money back, either. Not 100% on that. But I don't recall seeing a credit on my CC statement. It was 3 years ago. I may be a little fuzzy on that.

I ordered some backplates off Reverb. Came fast, just not nearly as dark RW as I'd hoped. Also, pretty dry and wide-grained.

Pretty much the same experience that elrytnamrogo stated above. I ordered a set of RW rings for a 408. Crickets for months. I reached out, was given an ETA. It came and went. Reached out again, was given another ETA. We're at 10+ months at this point. ETA missed. Order canceled. I don't think I ever got my money back, either. Not 100% on that. But I don't recall seeing a credit on my CC statement. It was 3 years ago. I may be a little fuzzy on that.

I was not even going to address this thread but need to. I feel way more loyal to all of you here than John Guilford was to me. Same exact bad experience that others mentioned. He made me a couple of nice switch tips on the first order and the wait wasn't too bad. Next order was larger for some rings etc and paid of course in full in advance. Supposed to be a 4-6 week job and after many emails, conversations w John and then no return correspondence from him 8 months later I gave up. He kept complaining how busy and behind he alway was. What a way to do business! Beware my friends.:confused::confused:

Yeah, the first thing I would do is treat them with fret board conditioner. They will darken and not dry out.
Yep, I used lemon oil. Darkened them well and no issues since.

Mine arrived today. I probably live 110 miles from his shop. I am still wondering what kind of finish to use to match the mahogany back of my se custom 24. Would the folks at PRS tell me?

Mine arrived today. I probably live 110 miles from his shop. I am still wondering what kind of finish to use to match the mahogany back of my se custom 24. Would the folks at PRS tell me?
Are they mahogany rings? If so just use a small amount lemon oil.

Back