Guilford back plates

No mahogany back plates. I am trying to match the finish on the back of my guitar.

I ordered a set of maple rings off Reverb, they arrived today, so points for getting here promptly.

One thing I was not expecting was for them to be unfinished. There's also some tear out around the pickup adjustment screw holes.

So I guess I have some sanding and finishing in my future. Unfinished, maple is pretty much guaranteed to move over time, which is going to be fatal for something as delicate as these. Rosewood and other oily varieties are probably ok.

Looking closely at the competing Tone Ninja (Germans have the worst branding) ones, looks like they may be even rougher, and do not even sport the recess holes, so that's a couple of points for Guilford.

There's a card included with the ring set with a website listed, so was curious to see what they have to say and went there.

It's interesting to note that there are things available on the site that are not available on Reverb. Perhaps these are the long-lead-time made to order items?

Reading the install page, I noticed it says

> The rings will be taped to a folded piece of cardboard to ensure safe transit.

Which is completely untrue.

I am wondering if more people broke the rings attempting to remove them from the safety packaging than broke in transit.

It also makes no mention of them arriving unfinished. Further, if you go to the guitar site, which also sells the rings, the purchase page shows an image with finished maple rings installed on an instrument.

So, Caveat Emptor, I suppose!

Ordered couple truss rod covers (ebony, curly maple) in the past few months and they were great.

I typically stain/dye the maple parts so I need unfinished ones, and then clear coat them.
Wipe-on-poly is a relatively easy/inexpensive DIY finish, especially the satin version. Tung oil too.
I wouldn't be too concerned with ring covers moving but would still want a finish to repel dirt/grime over time.
Larger/thin pieces of mahogany/maple would however need to be finished as those can warp much more easily.

Not sure he offers finished ones but you can imagine it not being practical given the already limited market for those:
"Oh you used poly, I would prefer lacquer because the ring cover will breath/vibrate giving more sustain to my pickups"
"Oh you used lacquer/oil, I want something durable that won't crack or fade/yellow"
"I prefer gloss"
"I prefer satin"

I had a different experience, that was not satisfying.

The custom made pickup rings for the narrowfield pups I sold you were made by Guilford.

Personally, I had 2 good experiences with him, but my friend didn't. he waited for 8 months and never got his rings. he had to fight for a refund.

The custom made pickup rings for the narrowfield pups I sold you were made by Guilford.

Personally, I had 2 good experiences with him, but my friend didn't. he waited for 8 months and never got his rings. he had to fight for a refund.

I wondered about that. Those were nicely done!

I bought my backplates via eBay. There were no issues. In fact I have exchanged messages with the owner about matching the finish at around 10:30 last night. He was quite helpful and had great suggestions. I am still worried about screwing it up.

Back