Good buy / Stupid decision?

Oh. Another question.... What are the best strings to put on this? I play rock/metal if that's of any use?

I'm sorry, I could have said that better. The switch has 3 settings. The forward most setting of the switch activates that front pickup. The pickup that is almost touching the neck. The middle position of the switch activates both pickups so they both produce the sound you hear together. The setting toward the back of the guitar activates only the pickup closest to the bridge which is that metal thing the strings go through. Each pickup has two parts that look like two plastic things with 6 little poles and one side of the poles has a slot in each one because they are adjustable but you don't have to adjust them.

Let me know if you need more.

Last edited:
A popular brand of strings is D'addario and I use XL 10-46's. It is a standard size string set. Those are also what PRS uses. Sometimes they put a set starting with 9 instead of 10 however. you can choose. 9's are a little lighter.

That's great thanks. I guess it's a about the sound you want to make. With my old old guitar I always had it on one setting. I never cared as I just liked the sound it made on that setting.

I was watching an old Rush video today and noticed I think for the first time the guitarist switch the control during certain parts of the song. Never seen that before, but then again I had previously never even paid attention to the guitars he was using

Now I'm trying to get better, I want to understand the ins and outs of a guitar, especially as I now own a PRS!

So whilst being a huge Rush fan, I can play 2112, limelight,spirit etc, but I feel 'unfulfilled' as a guitarist right now as I can't even play a lick myself. Understanding the guitar better I think is a good step to get me to the next level.

Nothing wrong with staying on one switch setting. If that is the sound you want, go for it. I play a lot on the neck pup. I use the back one (bridge pup) when I want more high tones and note definition.

Playing someone else's music doesn't mean you are any less of a guitar player. If you can play Rush you can play guitar...period. being able to create your own music isn't about guitar skills, it is about hearing what is in your head and getting it to your fingers. Theory and skills do help, but just time playing and trying lots of new licks will help more. You will start to feel more confident putting your own stuff together.

As with everything it will take time and practice..... I want to get to a place where I can just play for 20mins. Improvise and just impress myself and those listening.

I want to get to a place where I can just play for 20mins. Improvise and just impress myself and those listening.

I've been playing since 1967, and haven't achieved impressing myself, let alone anyone else. ;)

No matter how good you get, there's always yet another mountain to climb, right?

I'll hazard a guess that you're a very modest person!

Maybe 'impressing' oneself isn't the right word but there's definitely a sense of achievement when you nail a tough song or 'lick'

For me, if I play and someone is impressed then it's a ego boost but also a stamp of approval that I'm doing something well with the instrument and the time invested has been worth it.

I also agree you can never master the guitar. But this is like anything in life.

Back