Gibson conversation

I'm kinda done with Gibson honestly. I've worked on a bunch through the years and the inconsistency in the builds is just ridiculous. Here's the crux of my point: PRS feels like a guitar made by a guitar player. Gibson feels like a guitar made by a marketing executive who missed his coffee break and would rather be golfing. When I have to file sharp fret ends on a $3000 LP, I feel the indifference that went into building the thing. They have the ability to craft god level instruments, but their focus for the last decade has been on gobbling up other companies, turning Gibson into a "lifestyle brand", gimmicks, and nostalgia abuse. Sad part is as a young player, I loved Gibson guitars and always wanted one (my hero was Jimmy Page, so had to have an LP). Part of me still does, but I think its total nostalgia. Just my two cents, but to me PRS has perfected the LP design with the McCarty Singlecut.

BTW, while most of my axes are PRS, I have some Ibanez, got a Dean, had Strats, Teles, etc. I'll play whatever so long as the frets dont turn my fingers into shredded cheese.

And this is the beast. While Gibson has nowhere near the choices of great wood offered by PRS, every once in awhile even the blind sow finds an acorn (I’ve been lucky enough to find a few).

Beauty! Thankfully I just played my Orca so I’m good on LP style blue quilt. Still makes me want to try a M2M one of these days.

I'm kinda done with Gibson honestly. I've worked on a bunch through the years and the inconsistency in the builds is just ridiculous. Here's the crux of my point: PRS feels like a guitar made by a guitar player. Gibson feels like a guitar made by a marketing executive who missed his coffee break and would rather be golfing. When I have to file sharp fret ends on a $3000 LP, I feel the indifference that went into building the thing. They have the ability to craft god level instruments, but their focus for the last decade has been on gobbling up other companies, turning Gibson into a "lifestyle brand", gimmicks, and nostalgia abuse. Sad part is as a young player, I loved Gibson guitars and always wanted one (my hero was Jimmy Page, so had to have an LP). Part of me still does, but I think its total nostalgia. Just my two cents, but to me PRS has perfected the LP design with the McCarty Singlecut.

BTW, while most of my axes are PRS, I have some Ibanez, got a Dean, had Strats, Teles, etc. I'll play whatever so long as the frets dont turn my fingers into shredded cheese.

I'm with you. I wanted to play guitar so I could play Adam Jones riffs, and all I wanted was a LP Custom Silver Burst, had six gibson's at one point. All gone now, niw I have 3 PRS ( and a Taylor.)

I got sick of making excuses for the problems with my Gibson's. Now I sit and wonder how great Adams tone would be if he tried a 594 or Tremonti.

I'm with you. I wanted to play guitar so I could play Adam Jones riffs, and all I wanted was a LP Custom Silver Burst, had six gibson's at one point. All gone now, niw I have 3 PRS ( and a Taylor.)

I got sick of making excuses for the problems with my Gibson's. Now I sit and wonder how great Adams tone would be if he tried a 594 or Tremonti.

Oh boy....I really like those 80s silverbursts that have aged into that greenish color. What I dont like is Gibson hawking a reliced copy for ten grand and still not getting the color right. Gibson seems to have an obsession with overpriced, reliced guitars that are designed for collectors. I know PRS has thier private stock line, but those to me seem to come from an artistic place rather than existing for making a buck.

I also sorta feel like the LP design is stuck in the past. When I compare a LP with a 594 or McCarty, to me PRS designs feel like the logical step forward on many fronts. Heck, I even think the Dean Soltero design is a cool improvement.

I started playing professionally on a 72 SG Standard. I later sold that one, regretted it, and bought another. The trem was blocked after this photo... they were worthless (as were virtually all of them at the time) but the guitar plays great and the T-Top pickups remind me quite a lot of the 58/15LTs of today. I guess Norlin hadn’t totally screwed things up yet. I’d swap the trem to a stop bar if I were gigging it, but this one reached retirement with the stock hardware, so I left it. Anyway, it’s one of my two remaining Gibsons and a good example of the end of the “old” Gibson era.

NqNXfLO.jpg

Last edited:
Said jokingly:
This thread is total blasphemy!

I had a very nice vintage Gibson Les Paul and sold it to buy a pointy guitar with a trem. Thank you Eddie Van Halen. Then I played my first Paul Reed Smith. Sold the pointy one and never looked back.
G, F, others - no thanks.

PRS Guitars help to make me a better player

Sold my Gibson Les Paul with a neck that felt like a baseball bat a few weeks ago. I like the way they look, the story and the feel of them, so my plan was to buy a std modell with a neck that was a bit slimmer..

But s*it, i came across a EBMM JP and that ended up redusing my les Paul budget a bit. So my buddy (that doesn’t really care for gibbys) said: man, i played an PRS S2 a while ago, and it is sooo Good. Better than any gib In your price range and many/most above, he added

i ended up getting a cheap modell, the S2 standard singlecut delivered to my lokal post office. Said buddy picked it up for me (and would not give it back for a week), and When i got to playing it myself i felt that for me, this gtr played, felt and sounded really Good! Love the neck!

Last days i have thought about How Good this s2 feels to me and If the mcarty and 594’s are high above this one, that i should really try one of those and see If i feel like upgrading

Last edited:
Sold my Gibson Les Paul with a neck that felt like a baseball bat a few weeks ago. I like the way they look, the story and the feel of them, so my plan was to buy a std modell with a neck that was a bit slimmer..

But s*it, i came across a EBMM JP and that ender up redusing my les Paul budget a bit. So my buddy (that doesn’t really care for gibbys) said: man, i played an PRS S2 a while ago, and it is sooo Good.

i ended up getting a cheap modell, the S2 standard singlecut delivered to my lokal post office. Said buddy picked it up for me (and would not give it back for a week), and When i got to playing it myself i felt that for me, this gtr played, felt and sounded really Good! Love the neck!

Last days i have thought about How Good this s2 feels to me and If the mcarty and 594’s are high above this one, that i should really try one of those and see If i feel like upgrading

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first PRS.

Update If you guys are interested.. i got a Good-ish deal on a Gibson LP studio, and so i ended up buying it.

Its an 07 (chambered) faded modell. Think it has 490 & 498

In terms of price, the studio and the S2 standard is Close enough that i thought i could share some of my thoughts on what You Get for about the same kind of money ( at least here In Norway)

PRS:
-easier to play( 4 me)
-Better quality feel
-fret ends dont chew your hands
-Better sound (In my amp to my ears)
-More comfertable neck
-Holds tuning pretty good

gibson LP studio:
-kind of cool that Slash plays a gibson les Paul.
-its fun to play. Has a Wierd crunchy feel that i dont know Why i like.

Have tried the more high end gibson les pauls, some of them have much better quality feel/sound etc than my Studio

I have two Gibsons and I love them both. Still play them quite a bit. My first "real guitar" was a '93 Studio Les Paul. I am that guy that got a great one. ;) I really feel like I did though. Then I picked up a used ES-135 in 1995 that somehow i've managed to hang on to. It plays and handles great and its got those nice P-90s in it. I've barely played any new Gibson's since then though, and heard that quality really dropped off in the late 90s or 2000s.

I do really love my two new PRS guitars, purchased in the last year and the first two i've owned. But I paid $5k for each so they should blow me away. The Studio was $625 in '93 and it's a tank. Still plays and feels great.

Back