GG 5 string questions...

generation zero

Got a few questions for anyone "in the know" on the factory strings that came on my GG 5.

The hang tag says the gauge is 43 - 127. I've only ever seen strings available in increments of 5... like say 45 - 130... are these custom wound to those exact sizes for a reason? What gauges are the other 3 strings in the set? And where could I get more strings that taper down in size to the bridge saddle like these do? I couldn't fnd the PRS bass strings on the site anywhere for purchase...

Additionally, I tune my bass down a half step, and then the low B and E strings a whole step from there... so my tuning low to high is G# C# G# C# F#. What gauge strings should I use to acheive roughly the same string tension the bass had when I got it, tuned to standard B E A D G tuning? And where can I get those with the bridge end taper winding, since that is the string set I really need to be using?

You can kind of make out the taper thing I'm talking about in this pic, it's only on the three lowest strings:

j55k.jpg

Any answers would be appreciated... Thanks!

Whoa...beautiful bass, first of all...congrats!!! As far as strings, if you send your question to PRS Customer service, I would think they'd tell you the set they install at the factory...However...I think your tuning will do better with at least the heavier 45-130 set...I've seen 50-135 at the fattest (If I remember correctly), which I think would be better for your tuning. Once tuned like that, does your bass stay in that tuning??? This way you can install new strings and then set it up properly if it does.

Yeah, it will pretty much live in that tuning, I don't retune for any specific song or anything. My 4 string is drop D down a half step, dropping the low B to Ab is just the natural (to me) extension of that. Not dropping the D moves all the drop D riffs up to 5th fret position, which doesn't work for me, and having a Bb under a Db seems almost pointless... I find it convenient to have two pairs of strings an octave apart.

Sweet bass!

My tag for my GG5 said 40-125.

Also, I think there is a string tension chart somewhere out there. Perhaps you could look at the tension of the regular tuning, and find a different gauge that matches it for what you want to tune to?

Sweet bass!

My tag for my GG5 said 40-125.

Also, I think there is a string tension chart somewhere out there. Perhaps you could look at the tension of the regular tuning, and find a different gauge that matches it for what you want to tune to?

Interesting... how long ago did you get yours? Perhaps they've changed the stock strings since then? Wierd...

String tension chart would be helpful, but I'd need to figure out what gauges the middle 3 strings are. May need to do some heavier sleuth work, LOL!

I've had it about one month now.

Perhaps yours were measured with a micrometer. A friend of mine who is a gtr tech says there are variances in strings even within a brand.

Unless you spend a ton on a set, there are slight variances in strings...and I think D'Addario sets (Guitar and Bass) come with the individual string tension on the back of the package, and this can be used as a reference.

I've had it about one month now.

Perhaps yours were measured with a micrometer. A friend of mine who is a gtr tech says there are variances in strings even within a brand.

That sounds feasible. I'll give customer service a call and see what they can figure out for me...

Back