Getting serious with the bicycle now

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
Yep, it exists and its absurd. It's pure athletic, elitist snobbery ("I worked for it, you should too").

They come up up with the most ridiculous reasons why they should not be allowed on trails.
Yup... What's the difference between a 200lb guy on a 25lb bike, and a 175lb guy on a 50lb bike?
Silly.

Nailed it. I have used that exact argument when they've brought up the "heavier, more trail damage" bit. I tell them "I, as a robust rider (240 lbs) on my regular bike, weigh more than your average rider on an ebike". I haven't heard of any issue with heavy riders.

....they do not have a response.

Yep, it exists and its absurd. It's pure athletic, elitist snobbery ("I worked for it, you should too").

They come up up with the most ridiculous reasons why they should not be allowed on trails.
I would say that this was funny, but I've experienced it more than once. There is a bike trail near our home that runs near 100 miles. Alnus, that's where your Speedo pic was taken! We walked the kayaks up the trail, kayak back down because it follows a river. And it is a beautiful ride pretty much any time of the year. MANY people like to "joy ride" on the trail, but there are LOTS of serious bikers as well.

For the most part, the "serious" bikers are ok. But every once in a while one will get cute with you. Some of them think they own the trail and you are in their way. I don't wear "cycling clothes," I wear workout stuff. Two different times I've heard guys make remarks about that. Neither time did they intend me to hear their remark, but I did, so I responded :) Once there were 6 of us together and some guy got all put out because he had to slow down and couldn't pass us all at once because of traffic coming the other way. Then he started weaving past one person at a time, cutting us off, etc. just uncalled for. The trail clearly says it's for bikes and walking and he was mad because he was behind a group of people riding casually. He loudly said "single file so people can pass, please." and we already WERE single file, but a couple of the women weren't glued to the right side line to give him maximum passing room, and he was all worked up about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My “Speedo” pic. Why you’re so kind.

“Single file please”
I would say that this was funny, but I've experienced it more than once. There is a bike trail near our home that runs near 100 miles. Alnus, that's where your Speedo pic was taken! We walked the kayaks up the trail, kayak back down because it follows a river. And it is a beautiful ride pretty much any time of the year. MANY people like to "joy ride" on the trail, but there are LOTS of serious bikers as well.

For the most part, the "serious" bikers are ok. But every once in a while one will get cute with you. Some of them think they own the trail and you are in their way. I don't wear "cycling clothes," I wear workout stuff. Two different times I've heard guys make remarks about that. Neither time did they intend me to hear their remark, but I did, so I responded :) Once there were 6 of us together and some guy got all put out because he had to slow down and couldn't pass us all at once because of traffic coming the other way. Then he started weaving past one person at a time, cutting us off, etc. just uncalled for. The trail clearly says it's for bikes and walking and he was mad because he was behind a group of people riding casually. He loudly said "single file so people can pass, please." and we already WERE single file, but a couple of the women weren't glued to the right side line to give him maximum passing room, and he was all worked up about it.

Back