Gave the Purple Vela the bling it deserved

You may remember I acquired a rare purple Vela.

Finally got around to swapping the black pick guard for pearloid, and OH MY does it pop!

I also Scotch-brited the back of the neck (c'mon PRS, STOP with the gloss necks!) and strung it with 9.5s (down from 10s) for a touch more slinkiness. Plays like a dream now!

One interesting thing I learned is that it's routed for a full neck humbucker....

Question to the group: should I go full-on and get a pearloid truss rod cover made?

Before:

ulpz2bko2edfrsrllfqe.jpg

After:

IM2heIF.jpg

4Ioj9iz.jpg

2x7b2h2.jpg

SU71asu.jpg
Since this was my idea (actually, I think I insisted) I can’t tell you how much I’m patting myself on the back right now!

Almost… as much as I would be if that was MINE! Hahahahaha

I’m gonna be the contrarian and say that a *single ply* black Bakelite pickguard would look the best. Other than that, the pearloid is the way to go. Not sure about the truss rod cover. The pearloid pickguard is already pushing borderline, a pearloid truss rod cover might be too much. I definitely wouldn’t go with black pearloid.

Reactions: jxe
I’m gonna be the contrarian and say that a *single ply* black Bakelite pickguard would look the best. Other than that, the pearloid is the way to go. Not sure about the truss rod cover. The pearloid pickguard is already pushing borderline, a pearloid truss rod cover might be too much. I definitely wouldn’t go with black pearloid.
No, white pearloid for the win. Please go back to school for reprogramming. Thank you.

:p:p:p

Don't hate me but I liked the black pick guard. The pearl is cool also and I admit a TRC and tuner buttons to match would be way cool.

You may remember I acquired a rare purple Vela.

Finally got around to swapping the black pick guard for pearloid, and OH MY does it pop!

I also Scotch-brited the back of the neck (c'mon PRS, STOP with the gloss necks!) and strung it with 9.5s (down from 10s) for a touch more slinkiness. Plays like a dream now!

One interesting thing I learned is that it's routed for a full neck humbucker....

Question to the group: should I go full-on and get a pearloid truss rod cover made?

Before:

ulpz2bko2edfrsrllfqe.jpg

After:

IM2heIF.jpg

4Ioj9iz.jpg

2x7b2h2.jpg

SU71asu.jpg
Ok, I want that guitar!

Don't hate me but I liked the black pick guard. The pearl is cool also and I admit a TRC and tuner buttons to match would be way cool.
Oh, we won't hate you for it. But we'll certainly look down our noses at you for a few days. :pThat white pearloid on the purple... that's IT! You can add some gold bling if you want, but THAT is the pick guard.

OP I kina like the black one better??? Im sorry lol but the pearloid in nice too...

Back