Garrett's Cheapskate Mod Shop: If You Love Some One, Part II

Well done, considering no router! I wouldn’t have attempted it without one and a template . So hats off to you!

Despite my questionable routing method, I do actually have some sense. Since I'm trying to be cheap here and reuse the pickguard, I needed to take my time and get the alignment and execution of the holes right.

I captured the outer edges of the rout and transferred the lines to the pickguard.
VYsmtUGl.jpg

Not exactly CNC design here, but needed to achieve something resembling precision.

With something light like a pickguard, it must be secured or it will go flying under the torque of the drill. A big piece of MDF works well.
1TgBbGtl.jpg

Marked the centers with a hammer and nail to keep the drill from skating. Also, I started with a small pilot hole and went bigger from there. It's a lot easier to control a smaller bit.
fvT5nH7l.jpg

Close enough.
Mq8ne7Ol.jpg

Moment of truth. I applied my time tested approach of measure a bunch of times and hope I don't mess up the execution. Success!
w0TyTjEl.jpg

Now we're talking. This is how I think these ought to come from the factory.
I4n7oJAl.jpg

Still to go: plugging the guard, wiring, and installing my secret weapon...

A mini toggle should get it done! Just cuz it would look cooler than a push/pull :)

I almost grabbed one along with some other stuff I bought, just in case. Now I'm kind of kicking myself for not doing it. I might be able to fit one in the original volume pot hole.

Oh well, I have a push/pull on the way. Which I'm also kicking myself for, because I forgot I already have one on hand that I pulled out of my 7-string. Could've saved myself $7.49!

I almost grabbed one along with some other stuff I bought, just in case. Now I'm kind of kicking myself for not doing it. I might be able to fit one in the original volume pot hole.

Oh well, I have a push/pull on the way. Which I'm also kicking myself for, because I forgot I already have one on hand that I pulled out of my 7-string. Could've saved myself $7.49!

Post Holiday weekend brain cramps!

So I did this:

Black plastic 3/8" plugs. 2 for $1.12 at Lowes. Doesn't look too bad.
ZERkSEUl.jpg

Fresh shielding. For some reason, a previous owner had stuck copper across the entire guard, which is funny because the original routing only takes up like a quarter of the real estate. I had to peel and scrape it off, hence the remaining funkiness.
oPjD2Jhl.jpg

Did somebody say Paul's pickup?
3lcGxBMl.jpg

Fun stuff. Big fan of using the furniture plugs for pot holes.
Been doing it on strats for years.

Back