Garrett's Cheapskate Mod Shop: If You Love Some One, Part II

DdIOdpt.jpg

Br7swxF.jpg

K418GEk.jpg

OH YEAHHH

And the home stretch...

Treble side posts glued, wiring hole drilled.
YIyKSiil.jpg

I lined up the pickup, marked the mounting screw positions, and drilled pilot holes.
yD8DSWEl.jpg

Finished up the wiring. The eyelets on the switch soldered up easily. The CTS push/pull pot is very well designed.
hX8Pzqxl.jpg

The plastic plug was a bit too deep for the pot to clear, so I chopped off the bottom and super glued it to the pickguard. Took a little tweaking to get everything to settle in to the rout, but in the end it all fit together nicely.
wc5ATCMl.jpg

IT LIVES!
ZyGPJOCh.jpg

Terrible weather today, so it was tough to get decent pics. Lampshades are in the mail, so I'll take some better pics once I get them on.

Anyway, I'll talk about tone and stuff later, but for now I am glad to report that it sounds as badass as it looks!
LSxKZM6h.jpg
Those knobs actually work quite well, IMHO

Yeah, they weren't bad. They were on a now-defunct Tele I put together several years ago. Only thing I don't like is the narrow center part makes volume swells less than ideal.

So after playing this guitar for a while, I am very pleased with it and very glad I put the tone control on it. Playing the guitar by itself, it has great clarity and is never harsh, but in a mix I think I'm hearing what Paul has talked about with these pickups. They cut through like a buzz saw, man. That's not always a good thing and sometimes they clash with the mix. I am often running the tone knob at about 6 to knock that top edge off the tone. The pickup still sounds great and clear until you get down to the bottom of the sweep. It will see its first gig action tonight!

The mods continue!

Got a set of Grover 406 tuners for Christmas. The stock tuners are okay, but I prefer the higher gear ratio and smoother action of these Grovers. I've used them on a few guitars in the past. Plus they're locking and I love that convenience.

I am not, however, a fan of the mini kidney bean tuner buttons on the Grovers. The original buttons don't fit, but apparently the mini buttons taken from my SE-7 do fit, so I put them on instead.

PmKea7el.jpg

The guitar came to me with Dunlop strap buttons. I use Schaller strap locks, so I got a set of those for Christmas, too. The Dunlop screws are massive, so I had to do the old toothpick filler trick to get the Schaller screws to grip. Dawned on me after the fact that I use a different strap on Singlecut guitars, so I could've just bought a set of Dunlop locks for that strap instead. Oh well.

Also, not really a mod, but I was having trouble getting the guitar to intonate properly. I measured the actual length of the E strings and found the bridge was quite a bit forward. I have found that on 25" scale guitars, the intonation is just about right if the high E is right at 25" and the low E at 25 1/8". So I did that and boom, intonation is good enough for me now.

Check out what happened to the plating. It looks like it bubbled, as there are a couple of nasty marks from where the bridge used to meet the posts. Now that has me wondering if I might want to break down and upgrade the bridge, too. I think brass saddles will even out the tone a bit...
MC1xkaZl.jpg

Nice! I highly suggest swapping to a Core Nut as well. I plan on swapping out the bridge as well to something adjustable and with a little more heft to it.

Nice! I highly suggest swapping to a Core Nut as well. I plan on swapping out the bridge as well to something adjustable and with a little more heft to it.

It has what appears to be a bone nut on there now, which is cool since that's what I prefer anyway. I may get a new one put on there eventually. I'll need to break down and get some fretwork done at some point. There is some sprout going on with the treble side of the 8th fret. Oddly though, it's still level with frets 7 and 9.

If you want another SE bridge, I have a few laying around you can have.

Thanks man, but I think I'll live with it unless I decide to go big for an aftermarket one. I kind of like how some of the plating has oxidized. It's a little bit banged up, like the rest of the guitar.

I bet whoever did it, adjusted the bridge under tension. I can imagine the stud scraping the crap out of the bridge top that way.

Gloss black has got to be the worst color for a guitar.

GZSP71ml.jpg

I used the One for the first few songs of my duo gig last night (me on electric with female singer/acoustic guitar). Pretty good size stage and club.

I gotta say: holy crap, this thing slays in that environment. I was genuinely shocked at how different it was compared to playing at home and the little bit of rehearsal I've done with it so far. Split, I was surprised by how Strat-like with guts it sounded. Humbucker mode was like adding a mid boost, but it still retained that single coil type clarity. The difference between the two settings was much more apparent. The effectiveness of the tone control was also more noticeable.

I fumbled with it a good bit. It's a different beast to control and I'm still getting used to it. I switched to the CU22 and didn't look back, but that was largely because I realized the setup on the One definitely still needs work. I think I could happily do a whole gig with it once I get it dialed in and find the sweet spots.

Could you please give the links to the pot and caps you used? Thank you!

Sure. I got them from Guitar Electronics (great site), but the same parts can be found elsewhere, too.

https://guitarelectronics.com/cts-500k-audio-taper-pot-w-push-pull-switch/

https://guitarelectronics.com/orange-drop-033-microfarad-tone-capacitors-2/ The Orange Drops are a bit expensive and who knows if they're actually worth it. I just like them.

The volume pot was formerly the tone control in my CU22 (which I replaced with a push/pull), but John Mann (Guitar Vault USA) is the go-to guy for PRS parts.

Last week I tuned this beast up to open E to try out some slide work for the blues band. It is perfect for that stuff, at home at least. Looking forward to giving it a rip at rehearsal this week.

Back