Garrett's Cheapskate Mod Shop: If You Love Some One, Part II

This is so cool, the SE One mod king, Hansonatic, has liked almost every one of your progress posts. Way to be a rad owner!

Awww yeah.

rXKsgXT.jpg

It is a beast! Hans was really on to something when he pioneered the Narrow 408 equipped SE One. To reiterate, the SE One is a darn good guitar stock. This pickup and the tone control, for me at least, make it truly great.

It's hard to explain, but the guitar has a nice mid-focus to it, as is often associated with mahogany guitars, but it still has a nice edge on the top end that doesn't get shrill at all. The bass is there, but not overpowering. With gain it generates nice harmonic content and produces a very satisfying crunch.

The coil split (or "splap", as I'm fond of saying regarding this pickup design) is interesting. I've played a Paul's and a Mason and I wasn't sold on the difference (or lack thereof) between settings. I think it seems to just scoop the mids out. It's less effective with gain or with the tone control turned down. Where the difference really shines is clean with the volume rolled back a little bit. I could see using it split for rhythm and full for leads to get that extra mid boost. Anyway, I'm keen to see how it performs in a live setting, since standing out in a mix is what Paul had in mind when designing the pickup.

Time will tell if it's truly useful or if it's something where I'll forget which position the switch is in. The good thing is, either way it sounds gooood.

Awww yeah.

rXKsgXT.jpg

It is a beast! Hans was really on to something when he pioneered the Narrow 408 equipped SE One. To reiterate, the SE One is a darn good guitar stock. This pickup and the tone control, for me at least, make it truly great.

It's hard to explain, but the guitar has a nice mid-focus to it, as is often associated with mahogany guitars, but it still has a nice edge on the top end that doesn't get shrill at all. The bass is there, but not overpowering. With gain it generates nice harmonic content and produces a very satisfying crunch.

The coil split (or "splap", as I'm fond of saying regarding this pickup design) is interesting. I've played a Paul's and a Mason and I wasn't sold on the difference (or lack thereof) between settings. I think it seems to just scoop the mids out. It's less effective with gain or with the tone control turned down. Where the difference really shines is clean with the volume rolled back a little bit. I could see using it split for rhythm and full for leads to get that extra mid boost. Anyway, I'm keen to see how it performs in a live setting, since standing out in a mix is what Paul had in mind when designing the pickup.

Time will tell if it's truly useful or if it's something where I'll forget which position the switch is in. The good thing is, either way it sounds gooood.

Looks sick!! Can you PM me real quick to help on the wiring? Thinking of just keeping the single knob and making it a push/pull to split the coil.

Right here! should be doing mine near the end of the year or so.

I bought both of the PG trebles that Dave's had listed. One is going to my buddy to put in a DC3

Bangin’!

Can’t wait to hear about it in the DC3, that would be perfect!

Back