Garrett's Cheapskate Mod Shop: If You Love Some One, Part II

Did somebody say Paul's pickup?
3lcGxBMl.jpg

Oh wow, you must also be adding some coil split action on a push/pull or something? Also, suddenly not so cheap any more? :)

The story of the pickup starts here: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/will-408s-fit-in-a-p90-route.30712/

It was a team effort to get this in my hands. Narrow 408 pickups are rare and it's even more rare to find one up for sale. @toothace was the tipster. Dave's Guitar Shop had two for sale (crazy cheap, IMO) and @bodia snapped them up quick for the good of the forum. He kindly passed one on to me at no profit.

(Speaking of, Dave's has two more available. Hint, hint.)

I was feeling like a project and was going to put it in a Strat I have with universal routing. Ended up balking at that idea and the summer project ended up being building a new Strat instead.

Browsing for cheap SE guitars has become a pastime of mine, so it was a matter of waiting for the right One to come along: cheap enough to not anger the Mrs., worn-in enough to not be afraid to mod it. And here we are.

The pickup is actually a Brent Mason Treble. Not sure if it's any different from a Pauls' Treble. It had gold pole pieces. I wasn't feeling the look, so the nickel screws in the pic are from an SE HFS that I accidentally killed during a magnet swap.

The pickup doesn't quite fit the rout. The mounting ears are too long by 1/16" or so on each end. You know by now I don't have the tools to properly rout for that. But what I do have is a hack saw and the knowledge that brass is soft:
jVM3Rhll.jpg

That was easy. The pickup drops in now and there is just enough meat left on the ends to hold the mounting screws. Once I get a set of rings, I'll find out if this really works. I may have to sand away a little wood to get it aligned right.

Speaking of rings, USPS told me to expect a package from NH yesterday, but now it's in the wind. Once it shows up, I'll figure out next steps. I'm expecting to add a little wood at the corners of the routs for the ring mounting screws.

The story of the pickup starts here: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/will-408s-fit-in-a-p90-route.30712/

It was a team effort to get this in my hands. Narrow 408 pickups are rare and it's even more rare to find one up for sale. @toothace was the tipster. Dave's Guitar Shop had two for sale (crazy cheap, IMO) and @bodia snapped them up quick for the good of the forum. He kindly passed one on to me at no profit.

(Speaking of, Dave's has two more available. Hint, hint.)

I was feeling like a project and was going to put it in a Strat I have with universal routing. Ended up balking at that idea and the summer project ended up being building a new Strat instead.

Browsing for cheap SE guitars has become a pastime of mine, so it was a matter of waiting for the right One to come along: cheap enough to not anger the Mrs., worn-in enough to not be afraid to mod it. And here we are.

The pickup is actually a Brent Mason Treble. Not sure if it's any different from a Pauls' Treble. It had gold pole pieces. I wasn't feeling the look, so the nickel screws in the pic are from an SE HFS that I accidentally killed during a magnet swap.

The pickup doesn't quite fit the rout. The mounting ears are too long by 1/16" or so on each end. You know by now I don't have the tools to properly rout for that. But what I do have is a hack saw and the knowledge that brass is soft:
jVM3Rhll.jpg

That was easy. The pickup drops in now and there is just enough meat left on the ends to hold the mounting screws. Once I get a set of rings, I'll find out if this really works. I may have to sand away a little wood to get it aligned right.

Speaking of rings, USPS told me to expect a package from NH yesterday, but now it's in the wind. Once it shows up, I'll figure out next steps. I'm expecting to add a little wood at the corners of the routs for the ring mounting screws.

I just bought the gold pole one from Dave's...Definitely thinking about this for mine potentially.

The wiring for the coil split and such is what's a little confusing for me. Thinking of just sending it in to the PTC in early 2019 so I don't have to worry about it.

I just bought the gold pole one from Dave's...Definitely thinking about this for mine potentially.

The wiring for the coil split and such is what's a little confusing for me. Thinking of just sending it in to the PTC in early 2019 so I don't have to worry about it.

NICE!

You'll wire the split like the bridge pickup switch here: https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/paulsguitar_2017.pdf

The red/black side goes to ground. The White/Green side goes to hot.

If you don't want to put it in your current One, it gives you a great excuse to buy another One!

NICE!

You'll wire the split like the bridge pickup switch here: https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/paulsguitar_2017.pdf

The red/black side goes to ground. The White/Green side goes to hot.

If you don't want to put it in your current One, it gives you a great excuse to buy another One!

There's another piece on the toggle they use (at least it looks that way), so I'm not 100% confident. Perhaps after looking more at it.

Mine is a Korina with birds which I love. I might keep an eye out for another like it since I tend to be a birdw**re ;)

There's another piece on the toggle they use (at least it looks that way), so I'm not 100% confident. Perhaps after looking more at it.

Mine is a Korina with birds which I love. I might keep an eye out for another like it since I tend to be a birdw**re ;)

They just connect the two ground wires to a separate grounding tag because there's nowhere to good to solder on the outside of those mini switches. It makes it cleaner for them to wire. They run two little jumpers to the tags, which are connected, and then one wire across the cavity to the back of the volume pot.

I'll be doing the one pickup on a push/pull, so my ground connection will go to the body of the pot/switch.

They just connect the two ground wires to a separate grounding tag because there's nowhere to good to solder on the outside of those mini switches. It makes it cleaner for them to wire. They run two little jumpers to the tags, which are connected, and then one wire across the cavity to the back of the volume pot.

I'll be doing the one pickup on a push/pull, so my ground connection will go to the body of the pot/switch.

Thanks! That's really helpful.

Back