From S2 to CE - is it worth it?

titansfan4196

I currently have an S2 Custom 24. I would love to get a core model one day but I just don't have that kind of money right now. I thought about selling the S2 and spending a little extra to get the new CE 24. Working my way towards a core model one day....

My question is: is it worth the extra $600? (S2$ 1,400, CE $2000) I know it has the core pickups and bolt on neck and that's about the only difference. I do LOVE the natural neck though with no gloss.
Thoughts? Would it be a waste of money? Should I go for it?
I'm also just not too crazy about the S2 antique white anymore.

If you sell the S2 and buy a new CE 24 it will likely delay the day that you will have the core model you wish for but it seems like you are ready for a change so why not. Have fun.

Yeah, without discussing street pricing of current models (used or new), the assumption about what the OP's S2 is worth on the used market, vs what a new CE street price will be, vs used market pricing for a Core CU24 or a "classic" CE, will lead to several possible conclusions.

Personally I'd check out the used market first, and if not satisfied there look at the new market.

If you really want a glued in neck core guitar, I wouldn't take another step on the way there and end up losing money on two guitars to get where I wanted to be. I would just hang tight until I could make the move I really wanted to make.

That said, you wouldn't be the first person to decide that a CE gave you all you needed. Give it one, or several a try and if you think it will keep you happy for a while, make the switch. I would try CU24s at the same time and see if there was something in them that would make me want that in the end.

If a Core Custom is your goal, keep the S2 until you can make that happen. The CE is a different beast with its bolt-on maple neck. Also, if you bought the S2 new, you're going to take a beating on the second hand market, and then you'll take another beating later when you sell the CE.

Money aside, follow your happiness. If you want to explore what the CE offers, have at!

If a Core Custom is your goal, keep the S2 until you can make that happen. The CE is a different beast with its bolt-on maple neck. Also, if you bought the S2 new, you're going to take a beating on the second hand market, and then you'll take another beating later when you sell the CE.

Money aside, follow your happiness. If you want to explore what the CE offers, have at!

+1 to this.

I don't think you're going to see a giant leap in quality moving up from the S2, yes the CE has a carved top and 85/15's, but the S2's are very good as well and there's nothing else in the construction that's really "better" other than just being different. What you'll notice more are the differences in the guitars as far as the maple neck, neck finish, pickups. Now, between the two guitars, which one has a personality that turns you on more, only you can decide. If you like the mahogany set neck Custom 24 vibe, I would stick with the S2, but maybe you like the tone of a maple neck instrument more? Only you can say for sure!

Here is my most humble opinion...having owned both a new S2 Custom and a new CE24:

If your ultimate goal is to own a Core Custom...then keep what you have and play the snot out of it...and save your money until you're ready to take the Core plunge.

I started with SE models, moved around to S2 and CE intruments...and all the while, my dream was to own a Core.

In retrospect, I had a great time with every single PRSi I've had in my hands, but I coughed up a bunch of money (and lost a ton on trades) to get into what I'm now really happy with.

I offloaded several SE and S2 guitars...as well as my CE24, to get into my Custom 24. I love that thing, and it far exceeded every hope and dream I had for it.

Oddly enough, though...I just bought a ZM SE, and it plays better than the CE or S2s I used to have. Weird, how it came full circle.

End of the day...go with your gut. If you do what makes YOU happy, then you made the right choice.

I have a 2011 cu24 with 5909s that I bought used. I just love it, those pickups are fantastic for what I do. Basically classic rock.

I also have CEs too but I don't consider them a step down from core models. They rock in their own way.

Really need to pick a guitar that fits what you do. I would not use 5708s 5909s or 5310s for hard rock/ metal. I have guitars with all 3 of these pickup sets but they fit what I do and I really like them.

Play all three and see which guitar you like best. The S2 and CE are different guitars as others have said.

I own a Santana SE, which I upgraded...pickups, wiring, and pots...great guitar. I own 2 S2's: a Vela, which needs no upgrades, and a custom 24, which I am upgrading the bridge, pickup rings, and pickups. The guitar is very well built, is nice and resonant, light weight, and a killer player. Those factors make it worth upgrading to me. I also own a core Studio, a core 408, and a core Chris Henderson 2 pickup singlecut. No upgrades needed on those. I have owned several CE's over the years, and have tried several of the new ones. If I were to buy a new ce, I would have to upgrade the bridge, at the very least...possibly the wiring, and it would need a hard case. Gets expensive!
My advice would be that if you're looking for a CE, buy an older one. It comes with good pickups, the right bridge, and a hard shell case, or save up like I did, and buy a core...but that's just my two cents. Good luck, you'll be getting a good playing guitar, in any event!

Back