Fret Buzz After Setup

thegummy

I just got my SE Custom 24 back from the tech after getting a setup. The guy has one of the best reputations in the country so I was surprised that the low strings now have fret buzz (only when fretted).

Would I just be able to raise the string height at the bridge until the buzzing stops or is it more complicated than that? Would that throw off the setup work he did on the truss rod etc.?

Truss rod might need a tweak...if he's got that good of a reputation, he should fix that for you...

Truss rod might need a tweak...if he's got that good of a reputation, he should fix that for you...

I imagine he will but I'm working during the opening hours every day til Friday, the shop's miles away and it's hard to park near it so was hoping I could just adjust it myself.

I feared what you said might be true though, perhaps I best just wait another week and take it back.

In the mean time, here's a pic of a nice tremolo block he installed for me:

BRUNCo1.jpg

Last edited:
Does it buzz playing plugged in or just when you play with no amp? Some guys do setups that way. I don't like audible buzz no matter what. Call him and tell him the issue. In the mean time, put a capo on the 1st fret and fret the last fret. You should have a tiny bit of space(called relief) between the string and the fret in the middle- check at the 8th fret or so(if you have a feeler gauge... http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/trussrod.html ). If the string is laying flat on the frets all the way down, the truss rod likely needs to be adjusted. Otherwise it's probably string height.

Does it buzz playing plugged in or just when you play with no amp? Some guys do setups that way. I don't like audible buzz no matter what. Call him and tell him the issue.

I recorded a clean DI signal and the buzzing is audible on the recording.

In the mean time, put a capo on the 1st fret and fret the last fret. You should have a tiny bit of space(called relief) between the string and the fret in the middle- check at the 8th fret or so(if you have a feeler gauge... http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/trussrod.html ). If the string is laying flat on the frets all the way down, the truss rod likely needs to be adjusted. Otherwise it's probably string height.

I tried this and I think there is a miniscule gap at the 8th fret but it's hard to tell at that size.

Thanks for your help, I think I'm going to have to take it back in. Will wait til the shop opens up after the Easter break and see what he says.

Does the truss rod need re-adjusted when the bridge height is raised or would it only need adjusted if it wasn't adjusted properly during the set up?

I'm fairly confident he'd have done it right to begin with, the only issue is that the action is too low for my playing style.

Does the truss rod need re-adjusted when the bridge height is raised or would it only need adjusted if it wasn't adjusted properly during the set up?

I'm fairly confident he'd have done it right to begin with, the only issue is that the action is too low for my playing style.
It shouldn't. The amount of relief in the neck is what it is. When checking relief as the link above shows, you take the string height out of the equation by fretting the first and last frets. The intonation can however be affected by changing the action. Intonation is always the last thing adjusted during a setup. It is possible make the action feel slightly higher or lower by adjusting the rod. Increasing relief will make it feel a bit higher.

It shouldn't. The amount of relief in the neck is what it is. When checking relief as the link above shows, you take the string height out of the equation by fretting the first and last frets. The intonation can however be affected by changing the action. Intonation is always the last thing adjusted during a setup. It is possible make the action feel slightly higher or lower by adjusting the rod. Increasing relief will make it feel a bit higher.

So essentially, if I'm confident in my trust that the truss rod was set up correctly, it would then just be a case of raising the string height at the bridge then re-setting the intonation?

So essentially, if I'm confident in my trust that the truss rod was set up correctly, it would then just be a case of raising the string height at the bridge then re-setting the intonation?
That would be true, but earlier you said the gap when fretting first and last was minuscule. The gap should be noticeable, not huge but noticeable. Minuscule suggests to me the the truss rod should be eased off a bit.

That would be true, but earlier you said the gap when fretting first and last was minuscule. The gap should be noticeable, not huge but noticeable. Minuscule suggests to me the the truss rod should be eased off a bit.

I don't really have any idea what size the gap should be. Is that 0.01mm it says on the website?

I`ll caution you against doing anything more than turning the bridge screws to raise the bridge slightly on the bass side. I find that when I set up a guitar, I need to let it settle a little and then go back and tweak. Remember, wood moves under different tension, so it`s possible that wha looked good in the shop shifted on the way home.Other than cutting the nut, I do my own setups to get the action where I want it. it`s easy to make trouble if you`re not used to changing things. Remember Paul`s credo, "Everything affects everything." Be as patient as you can be.

I tried the business card trick but it was hard to tell if the card fit under or if it was pushing the string up to slide under lol

I have another question re: this if any of the helpful, knowledgeable people could help me: if I was going to raise the bridge sadle to raise the action, is it necessary/recommended to raise them all equally?

First off, your setup was just done - have you talked to the guy who did it? Odds are he would sort it out for you pretty quickly and have you happy with his work.

That said, it is common to have the fat strings slightly higher than the skinny one. I forget the PRS default set up, but seem to recall the bass side being 1/32 higher than the treble.

So I took it back to the tech. The truss rod had slipped since he did the setup which made the buzzing particularly bad but after he corrected it, it was still too buzzy for my playing. So he recommended thicker strings which I had installed and also had the action raised a bit for personal preference. Love it now! Thanks for all the advice folks. Cheers.

Back