Rattling on S2 Custom 24 Neck pickup

PlectrumMX

Hey, quick question here. The last couple of weeks I had been noticing a buzz/rattling on my S2 Custom 24 (2013) when playing it unplugged. I thought first it was fret buzz, maybe needing a truss rod tweak. But turns out that the neck pickup is vibrating with some frequencies on occasion. Tends to be 5th string, when fretted around frets 4-8. When I touch the actual pickup, it stops, and if I let it go, I hear it again. Haven’t noticed it if it shows up plugged in. Has anyone experienced this? Should I fill the pickup cavities with foam? Replace the springs? Thanks!

I've done two things that could fix the problem.

1- Remove the springs and stretch them slightly to give the springs more force.

B - Replace the springs with silicone/rubber tubing like Fender uses. I cut them just longer than they need to be because they compress really well.

I've done two things that could fix the problem.

1- Remove the springs and stretch them slightly to give the springs more force.

B - Replace the springs with silicone/rubber tubing like Fender uses. I cut them just longer than they need to be because they compress really well.
3 - piece of foam under the pickup OR

D - All of the above :p:D

Thanks to both for the suggestions. Just curious, did you actually have this same problem, or why did you stretch springs, add tubing and/or foam?

Thanks to both for the suggestions. Just curious, did you actually have this same problem, or why did you stretch springs, add tubing and/or foam?
I have had the same problem. In one case, stretching the springs didn't work. Silicone/rubber tubing has always worked for me.

Back