Forum Guitar Poll #2 - price point

Is the mid $4K range a doable thing for you? Votes will be linked to user names from this poin on.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite sure I can accept that as ok. Pass, setting a bad president with cost accelerating to these levels. If the sales slow down the prices will have to drop.and that means people jobs. Sad to see this. A good used automobile can be purchased cheaper than a new guitar.

And yet a good used PRS costs less than a New automobile.

Its relative isn't it and comparing a 'used' automobile - in a market flooded with vehicles - to the price of a new crafted musical instrument isn't exactly 'fair' or relevant. If you 'must' compare vehicles to PRS Guitars, then why not compare 'new' to 'new'. You maybe able to buy a 'cheap' import car brand new for somewhere around the price of a 'made in the US' Private Stock PRS but if you are comparing 'new to new' here, then maybe you should compare import to import so that then means the SE line.

From what I have seen of PRS guitars and the way they are made, it takes months from the time raw materials coming into the factories to leaving. Whilst 'machinery' like CNC are being used - mostly to ensure more uniformity and decreasing the production time, their is still a LOT of hands on to the production. CNC's may cut the basic shape, including the top carve and routing of the cavities too, they still need to be finished by hand, sanded down to remove any machinery marks. The woods all need to be 'cured' too so its not like these are machine built by robots in a assembly line type of way.

You do not 'have' to pay $4k for a guitar, you can buy a Guitar for under $200 if that's what you 'want' - doesn't mean it will be as good as a $4k even if it has six strings and a 'wooden' body. Its like buying a Daewoo, SsangYong or whatever Korean built car you get in the US and saying that RollsRoyce, Ferrari etc are too expensive because Korean cars are so cheap relatively.

You can buy a house for the price of some handbuilt, luxury or sports cars - another ridiculous 'comparison' like comparing a $4k PRS to a used Vehicle.

And yet a good used PRS costs less than a New automobile.

Its relative isn't it and comparing a 'used' automobile - in a market flooded with vehicles - to the price of a new crafted musical instrument isn't exactly 'fair' or relevant. If you 'must' compare vehicles to PRS Guitars, then why not compare 'new' to 'new'. You maybe able to buy a 'cheap' import car brand new for somewhere around the price of a 'made in the US' Private Stock PRS but if you are comparing 'new to new' here, then maybe you should compare import to import so that then means the SE line.

From what I have seen of PRS guitars and the way they are made, it takes months from the time raw materials coming into the factories to leaving. Whilst 'machinery' like CNC are being used - mostly to ensure more uniformity and decreasing the production time, their is still a LOT of hands on to the production. CNC's may cut the basic shape, including the top carve and routing of the cavities too, they still need to be finished by hand, sanded down to remove any machinery marks. The woods all need to be 'cured' too so its not like these are machine built by robots in a assembly line type of way.

You do not 'have' to pay $4k for a guitar, you can buy a Guitar for under $200 if that's what you 'want' - doesn't mean it will be as good as a $4k even if it has six strings and a 'wooden' body. Its like buying a Daewoo, SsangYong or whatever Korean built car you get in the US and saying that RollsRoyce, Ferrari etc are too expensive because Korean cars are so cheap relatively.

You can buy a house for the price of some handbuilt, luxury or sports cars - another ridiculous 'comparison' like comparing a $4k PRS to a used Vehicle.
Not comparing guitars to autos. Just making a valid point. A used car that provides transportation can be had for less then 3k much less 4500 bucks. I'm pro prs so there's that. I own 3 just bought a brand new WL 10 top. When I was in my early 30s I bought a new 10 top for 1500 bucks! I am glad PRS exist. The cost of guitars period is beyond stupid. It's not a necessity, tell a broke kid to drop 4500 on a new guitar. Prs are leaps and bounds above any production guitar made. If your going se your going overseas and that market is more competitive in the price range. And there are many quality veneer topped guitars for the same price and as dependable. I am considering I probably just bought my last new 10 top. I usually buy used to absorb cost but then there is no warranty and I've had finish issues on a 20th anny 10 top so that's why.. being new 10 top has eclipsed 4k and will not be getting cheaper.. in the next 3/4 years they will be 5k and up for a core 10 top. So that leaves me out of the conversation, sorry. It's not a question of quality at that price. The quality has always been there and always will be. For me there is a reality factor for entertainment, ymmv

Not comparing guitars to autos. Just making a valid point. A used car that provides transportation can be had for less then 3k much less 4500 bucks. I'm pro prs so there's that. I own 3 just bought a brand new WL 10 top. When I was in my early 30s I bought a new 10 top for 1500 bucks! I am glad PRS exist. The cost of guitars period is beyond stupid. It's not a necessity, tell a broke kid to drop 4500 on a new guitar. Prs are leaps and bounds above any production guitar made. If your going se your going overseas and that market is more competitive in the price range. And there are many quality veneer topped guitars for the same price and as dependable. I am considering I probably just bought my last new 10 top. I usually buy used to absorb cost but then there is no warranty and I've had finish issues on a 20th anny 10 top so that's why.. being new 10 top has eclipsed 4k and will not be getting cheaper.. in the next 3/4 years they will be 5k and up for a core 10 top. So that leaves me out of the conversation, sorry. It's not a question of quality at that price. The quality has always been there and always will be. For me there is a reality factor for entertainment, ymmv

its all relative though - a 'USED' car still cost a LOT more money than a brand new PRS. I can't ever recall seeing a Brand New 10-top for that money - not even in a sale - although I live in the UK so pricing is very different. Before PRS even had 10-tops, the price for a 'Custom' compared to a Standard was more than 1500 UK Pounds which is worth a lot more than 1500 dollars at the exchange rates back then let alone now.

A 'broke' kid isn't the market for a brand new Core let alone a Custom build that this project was being aimed at. A 'broke' kid, if they are in the market for a 'new' guitar would be looking at Harley Benton, Squire or Epiphone, perhaps even an SE Standard if they can 'push' their budget up enough to afford any of these 'new', otherwise they will be seeing what they can pick up 'used'.

PRS pricing isn't ridiculously high when you look at other guitars at the high end - compare it to some of the Fender or Gibson re-issues and/or signature models. In fact, if I look at the music shops inventory and list the guitars in descending price order, apart from the odd Private Stock, Gibson re-issues, Gibson Memphis guitars (335 for example), Fender 'Master craft', some Music Man guitars etc all crop up before you reach a Core PRS. Obviously the odd WL may pop in amongst the re-issue Les Pauls but most (if not all) of those Les Pauls are more expensive than a core 10-top Cu24, or Cu22 for example.

Yes they are expensive and have been for many, many years. They were more expensive than a Gibson Les Paul Custom when I saw my first PRS and almost as expensive as a Parker Fly. Knaggs and Nik Huber Guitars are more expensive for 'comparatively' similar models too Again though its ALL relative. If you cannot afford a Core, PRS do offer cheaper US made alternatives - the CE and Silver Sky models and if they are too expensive, you can buy an S2. Failing that, you have the SE range or any of the alternatives of which there are 'numerous' brands and models to pick from. Is an Nik Huber Les Paul (or should I say Orca) worth the 'massive' price difference from an Epiphone LP, from a Gibson LP Standard, from a Gibson Custom Shop re-issue, what about a PRS 594 or PRS 594 10-top? All of these are Cheaper than a Nik Huber version of this iconic double humbucker guitar. A broke kid isn't going to buy a Nik Huber, Knaggs, PRS 594, Gibson Les Paul - even the 'entry' Studio may be out of reach for the 'broke' kid.

If money is to tight for you to consider a built in the US Custom 24, you can buy an SE with a very nice veneer instead. you might find an old banger for the price of an SE, something that still 'runs' but that doesn't make the SE far too expensive because some person is willing to accept $500 for their old motor. All of these, including many brand new cars are much cheaper than a used '59 Gibson LP. A brand new Silver Sky is lot less money than a used Fender 63 fender Strat.

I could go on and on, making more ridiculous comparisons - especially comparing a brand new musical instrument and a 'used' vehicle. There are many used vehicles that cost a LOT more than a PRS - a Ferrari 250 GTO or how about a Ferrari F40, F50 or Enzo? All MUCH more expensive than ANY brand new guitar. You could argue that PRS 'core' guitars are the Ferrari of Guitars with their SE line being their Fiat motors...

Point is, you can't compare anything from a completely different category. A professional musician wanting the 'best' electric guitar and has the budget to do so, isn't looking to buy a 'used' car to do the job that a Guitar will. Its like comparing a Bugatti Chiron's price and saying you can buy a house or 2 for that. A house won't get you from A to B like a Chiron can and people looking to buy a Chiron won't be looking to live in it - very different things for doing very different jobs.

As I said, I live in the UK and believe it or not, a $4k guitar in the US ends up costing me the equivalent of over $5200 so if anyone can be critical, its those of us who live outside the US. However if these are out of the price range, you do what everyone else does if/when they can't afford to buy a 'new' car, you lower your expectations and/or buy from the used market. At least the Guitar market has excellent low priced new guitars that can do the job better than a 'banger' of a used car that you had to buy because that was all you could afford. Even a new Epiphone or Squire can be 'great' for that 'broke' kid that cannot afford to buy the 'Ferrari' of Guitars

its all relative though - a 'USED' car still cost a LOT more money than a brand new PRS. I can't ever recall seeing a Brand New 10-top for that money - not even in a sale - although I live in the UK so pricing is very different. Before PRS even had 10-tops, the price for a 'Custom' compared to a Standard was more than 1500 UK Pounds which is worth a lot more than 1500 dollars at the exchange rates back then let alone now.

A 'broke' kid isn't the market for a brand new Core let alone a Custom build that this project was being aimed at. A 'broke' kid, if they are in the market for a 'new' guitar would be looking at Harley Benton, Squire or Epiphone, perhaps even an SE Standard if they can 'push' their budget up enough to afford any of these 'new', otherwise they will be seeing what they can pick up 'used'.

PRS pricing isn't ridiculously high when you look at other guitars at the high end - compare it to some of the Fender or Gibson re-issues and/or signature models. In fact, if I look at the music shops inventory and list the guitars in descending price order, apart from the odd Private Stock, Gibson re-issues, Gibson Memphis guitars (335 for example), Fender 'Master craft', some Music Man guitars etc all crop up before you reach a Core PRS. Obviously the odd WL may pop in amongst the re-issue Les Pauls but most (if not all) of those Les Pauls are more expensive than a core 10-top Cu24, or Cu22 for example.

Yes they are expensive and have been for many, many years. They were more expensive than a Gibson Les Paul Custom when I saw my first PRS and almost as expensive as a Parker Fly. Knaggs and Nik Huber Guitars are more expensive for 'comparatively' similar models too Again though its ALL relative. If you cannot afford a Core, PRS do offer cheaper US made alternatives - the CE and Silver Sky models and if they are too expensive, you can buy an S2. Failing that, you have the SE range or any of the alternatives of which there are 'numerous' brands and models to pick from. Is an Nik Huber Les Paul (or should I say Orca) worth the 'massive' price difference from an Epiphone LP, from a Gibson LP Standard, from a Gibson Custom Shop re-issue, what about a PRS 594 or PRS 594 10-top? All of these are Cheaper than a Nik Huber version of this iconic double humbucker guitar. A broke kid isn't going to buy a Nik Huber, Knaggs, PRS 594, Gibson Les Paul - even the 'entry' Studio may be out of reach for the 'broke' kid.

If money is to tight for you to consider a built in the US Custom 24, you can buy an SE with a very nice veneer instead. you might find an old banger for the price of an SE, something that still 'runs' but that doesn't make the SE far too expensive because some person is willing to accept $500 for their old motor. All of these, including many brand new cars are much cheaper than a used '59 Gibson LP. A brand new Silver Sky is lot less money than a used Fender 63 fender Strat.

I could go on and on, making more ridiculous comparisons - especially comparing a brand new musical instrument and a 'used' vehicle. There are many used vehicles that cost a LOT more than a PRS - a Ferrari 250 GTO or how about a Ferrari F40, F50 or Enzo? All MUCH more expensive than ANY brand new guitar. You could argue that PRS 'core' guitars are the Ferrari of Guitars with their SE line being their Fiat motors...

Point is, you can't compare anything from a completely different category. A professional musician wanting the 'best' electric guitar and has the budget to do so, isn't looking to buy a 'used' car to do the job that a Guitar will. Its like comparing a Bugatti Chiron's price and saying you can buy a house or 2 for that. A house won't get you from A to B like a Chiron can and people looking to buy a Chiron won't be looking to live in it - very different things for doing very different jobs.

As I said, I live in the UK and believe it or not, a $4k guitar in the US ends up costing me the equivalent of over $5200 so if anyone can be critical, its those of us who live outside the US. However if these are out of the price range, you do what everyone else does if/when they can't afford to buy a 'new' car, you lower your expectations and/or buy from the used market. At least the Guitar market has excellent low priced new guitars that can do the job better than a 'banger' of a used car that you had to buy because that was all you could afford. Even a new Epiphone or Squire can be 'great' for that 'broke' kid that cannot afford to buy the 'Ferrari' of Guitars
I consider myself fortunate as far as guitars are concerned, I own 3 prs 10 tops and have had others that I flipped. As mentioned just bought a new one.. as mentioned bought a brand new in 1994 for 1495.00 us dollars. A cu 24 10 top. So yes I am experienced and do not need a financial debate from the UK. I wish I still had that guitar. Things happen. I will never own a Ferrari nor will I ever spend 4.5 k on a 10 top new, as mentioned just purchased my last new one I believe. Best of luck to you. Cheers

Feels like guitars have gotten stupid expensive in the past couple of years despite incredibly low inflation (at least here in the UK) over the past 10 years. I just got a new CU24 and it was about 50% more expensive than the last. What swung it was I'd gone off my Tyler after 10 years of ownership and in the past couple of years his US guitars seemed to double in value as a result of nothing more than introducing a Japanese line at similar price point to the US guitars from a couple of years back. Result was I got a lot back on my Tyler used towards a PRS.

Feels like guitars have gotten stupid expensive in the past couple of years despite incredibly low inflation (at least here in the UK) over the past 10 years. I just got a new CU24 and it was about 50% more expensive than the last. What swung it was I'd gone off my Tyler after 10 years of ownership and in the past couple of years his US guitars seemed to double in value as a result of nothing more than introducing a Japanese line at similar price point to the US guitars from a couple of years back. Result was I got a lot back on my Tyler used towards a PRS.

Some of that price though is down to the falling value of the Pound against the Dollar. There was a time when the pound was nearly 2x the value of a dollar so a $4000 Guitar would cost much closer to £2.5k (after all the import, shipping and taxes were paid) but with the falling pound, a $4k guitar is now costing us around £4k. Its a two fold thing though because you have the climbing costs of US manufacture (wages, factory overheads etc) and sourcing of high quality woods - inc all the extra paperwork for CITES and materials, shipping costs etc all having an impact on the cost of producing a Cu24 for example over the last 10yrs as well as the falling value of the pound too. If it was at the same value as it was 10yrs ago, PRS guitars wouldn't have risen as rapidly as they have - more in line with inflation but combined with a weaker pound, the costs have escalated.

Change in £/$ exchange rate, import duty/taxes! The joys of living in the UK and buying a US product!

Yeah - agree with that too. The FX change has certainly pushed guitar prices up a long way. I'd forgotten about that. I miss the days when it was 1.8 USD to GBP. I bought and sold many guitars from Wildwood, Magdon, Washington MC, and Elderly instruments between 2002 and 2008 - fun times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back