Floyd Rose on Neal Schon Models...

Whats your take on the Floyd Rose?

I would love to have a player PRS equipped with a Floyd Rose. If you play music that gives the tremolo a workout, the Floyd is a must. They stay in tune; period. I have gotten used to stringing a Floyd because all of my guitars in the '80s had them. If you're not used to doing that, it's a PITA...like stringing Phase I locking tuners. :biggrin: But once you're used to it, they're simple. If you only have one guitar, and you love to change string gauges or experiment with tunings, then a Floyd will be more work than good. I will say adjusting the intonation on a guitar with a Floyd is a royal PITA but once they're set up, and you don't change tunings or string gauge, they're wonderful. It just depends on your application.

I played FR equipped guitars for nearly 20 years and sometimes I still miss them. Being used to heavy trem (ab)use I have mixed feelings about the PRS trem, on my Tremonti it works like a charm and comes quite close, but I had to sell two other trem equipped PRS because they didn't stay in tune under heavy use.

So yes, I really would like to see more FR equipped PRS.

I had a Jackson with a Floyd in the 80s, and while it did stay in tune very well, string changes were too much of a pain for me. Great bridge if you have a guitar tech on tour with you to do all that, I suppose...

My particular guitar didn't sound very good, either, but I have no idea if that was related to the bridge.

In the 80s I wouldnt own a guitar without a floyd. They work, plain and simple. Got to dreading string changes as I cant go more than 2 gigs on a set of strings so I made the move to fixed bridges. Thought that would help me explore different ways of playing.

The last couple of years I found myself wanting a trem again but didnt really want to go back to the floyd routine. I decided to take a look at the prs trem and thought i would try one. I had been wanting a cu24 with 5909s for a while and i found a used 2011 that was stunning.

The trem works pretty well and I enjoy the cu24. Good purchase

I wonder what a floyd with locking tuners would do sans locking nut?

I really like how Floyds work. I've had several in the late 80's but always came back to the original Ibanez Edge trem.
Like others said, if your guitar has a standard tuning and string gauge, changing strings isn't that hard.
the way I do them for the last 10 years, or so, is by stringing the ball end through the tuner hole like this:

and then cutting the string where it goes to the bridge. It works and stays in tune really good even if you don't tighten the locking nut.

I don't generally do dive boms and things like this anymore, but I do like how the trem flutters. can't do it with any other trem...

I had a Jackson with a Floyd in the 80s, and while it did stay in tune very well, string changes were too much of a pain for me. Great bridge if you have a guitar tech on tour with you to do all that, I suppose...

My particular guitar didn't sound very good, either, but I have no idea if that was related to the bridge.

Exactly. They do what they do very well but they are such a pain to do string changes on. Like you said: if you have a tech, no big deal.....but I certainly don't! For the type of vibrato I would do, a PRS trem is more than adequate. As for the Schon model: I think both the NS14 and NS15 are really awesome and well thought out semi-hollow's. I think the Floyd on there will deter people from giving it a chance as most dudes who want a Floyded up guitar will just get a Jackson or ESP. The typical customer who would be interested in a semi-hollow like the two NS guitars probably doesn't want a Floyd on there. I would love to see this model with either the 2pc bridge or the wrap around stoptail.

Exactly. They do what they do very well but they are such a pain to do string changes on. Like you said: if you have a tech, no big deal.....but I certainly don't! For the type of vibrato I would do, a PRS trem is more than adequate. As for the Schon model: I think both the NS14 and NS15 are really awesome and well thought out semi-hollow's. I think the Floyd on there will deter people from giving it a chance as most dudes who want a Floyded up guitar will just get a Jackson or ESP. The typical customer who would be interested in a semi-hollow like the two NS guitars probably doesn't want a Floyd on there. I would love to see this model with either the 2pc bridge or the wrap around stoptail.

I would love one with the 2 pc.

I have no idea if the NS models will be big sellers for PRS or not -- I hope they do really well! But in any case, I'd sure love to see a non-Floyd option.

Ah, the Floyd debate.

This is just my preference, but I use a block so it dives only. That way you can break a string and still be in tune.
a Floyd on a PRS.? Well it depends on what you want to do with it. The PRS trem doesn't dive as far. So if you want to dive bomb ala EVH you need a Floyd.

But then again I have guitars for that. Lol. All in all I really don't need a Floyd on my PRS I suppose

I used to hate FR's, but then I watched some YouTube videos of Dimebag Darryl showing people how he does his dives and squeals, and I started messing around learning how to do them on an Ibanez I had that had a FR. Then a guy I was in a band with had an FR and he would see me fine tuning after a song or two on my Gibson and he goes, "If you had a FR you wouldn't need to fine tune at all." Turns out that's not 100% truthful, BUT ...after getting a guitar with a real Floyd Rose - not some licensed FR crap, I can tell you it stays in tune way better than any of my fixed bridges. If you aren't that hard on your strings ...no crazy bending or picking really hard, I guess you wouldn't see a benefit. But if you are a shredder and like to do some squeals and dive bombs, you can't NOT have a Floyd Rose trem.

I HATED doing string changes, but now I have a pattern down and it takes me about 10 minutes longer (if that) to change strings on an FR. And I will open the locked nut before a gig and really fine tune and make sure every string is in perfect pitch, lock it down, and I'm good the entire gig. I might just fine tune a few times with the bridge adjusters, but that's it. I bought a SE Custom 24 because I wanted to try something new, and I can say the PRS trem on this is nowhere near the same ball park as the FR on my Schecter and my ESP. It's good for a little vibrato but that's it. I don't know if they put something different on the American made PRS models?

So my take is that if you don't really ride a trem, and you're kind of a mellow picker ...maybe like jazz or more classic kind of musics then you aren't missing anything without an FR. But if your style is playing hard and really riding a trem, you've got to have an FR.

Last edited:
Back