First live concert?

Alice Cooper. 1986?

Didn't know what the funny smell in the air was. The show was a blast. Lots of theater, loud guitars, and half naked women. It was everything a 13 year old kid wanted from rock-n-roll.

Stephen Stills, Merriweather Post Pavilion, 1970...

Yeah, I'm that old (but not that old, since my dad had to drive me...)

Jamie

1964 Rolling Stones, Indianapolis Fair Grounds Colliseum.

However, four (or five?) years later, I saw Jimi Hendrix and The Who in two separate shows at the Muncie Fairgrounds in a very tiny venue. Hendrix lit his guitar on fire and played it with his teeth, and The Who destroyed every piece of equipment they had.

Santana... AND Eric Clapton. :cool:
Aug 3rd 1975 at the Pacific Coliseum Vancouver, B.C.
Sitting up around 20 rows I witness this...
A somewhat "hippie" type (wasn't Tim) is down on the floor about 20 minutes before the show is to start. He strips off completely naked as the day he was born. Then... proceeds to turn cartwheels in and amongst the crowd. Yes... CARTWHEELS PEOPLE! :lol: OK... this goes on for what seems to be an elongated few minutes with the crowd egging him on of course. The security finally shows up (who expected THAT???) and proceeds to cart (wheel) him off to a new reality. The crowd was an interesting and uncomfortable mix of happy and sad about that.
:?
The music was awesome.
:lol:

85/86? Depeche Mode and O.M.D., eighth grade and I had a swooping new wave hairdo. :D

It was 1977 or 1978: a fund raising concert for former NY Knick's forward Bill Bradley who was making his first run for the Senate. Featured artists were Paul Simon and Patti Smith.

sergiodeblanc said:
85/86? Depeche Mode and O.M.D., eighth grade and I had a swooping new wave hairdo. :D
I'll bet my wife went to a show on that tour. She still blasts DM, OMD, Xymox, Erasure, Front 242, etc.

Lollapalooza in '96 in West Palm Beach, FL. Metallica, Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, The Ramones, Rancid, Psychotica. It was insane.
I really wanted to go and my parents wanted me to cut my hair, which, at that time was past my shoulders. They're reasoning was that it was going to be all day out in the mega hot sun and it would be too hot. I reasoned pulling it back, they said no, someone would pull it. Oh the reasoning of parents :roll: So I ended up getting this mega short haircut so I could see this killer line-up of bands...after the show I grew my hair back out ;)

Hans said:
sergiodeblanc said:
I'll bet my wife went to a show on that tour. She still blasts DM, OMD, Xymox, Erasure, Front 242, etc.

I think most peoples wives our age went to a show on that tour! :lol: I was quite happily outnumbered by females there, in contrast my ladies first show was the Spice Girls! Yeah, she is a "little" younger than us. ;)

ZZ Top Eliminator tour 1983.

Not their best period but they also played lots of early songs - yeah!

olioli said:
ZZ Top Eliminator tour 1983.

Not their best period but they also played lots of early songs - yeah!

+1, No encore because some idiot threw fireworks on stage at the end of the show. Good stuff though, ears were ringing and I loved it.

Johnny Cash, June Carter Cash, the Statler Brothers, the Carter Family and Carl Perkins. April, 1971.

Next show, and the first rock show, was July, 1979 - Kiss on the Dynasty tour, the last tour w/the original lineup (at least until the reunion).

Shawn@PRS said:
james said:
Feel free to show your age. I want stories!

So what was yours James? You never said.

I believe it was Poison and Trixter on the Flesh and Blood Tour.

When you're 10 years old, it's awesome when your parents present you with tickets to a hair metal concert in an arena. It's less awesome when you realize they're going with you.

I got into music VERY young. My first concert experience was Metallica and it really set the tone for me - but even as a youngin' I could tell Lars' kick drums were off time :lol:

alantig said:
Johnny Cash, June Carter Cash, the Statler Brothers, the Carter Family and Carl Perkins. April, 1971.

Wow......just WOW. :shock: That must have been AMAZING.

admin said:
Shawn@PRS said:
james said:
Feel free to show your age. I want stories!

So what was yours James? You never said.

I believe it was Poison and Trixter on the Flesh and Blood Tour.

When you're 10 years old, it's awesome when your parents present you with tickets to a hair metal concert in an arena. It's less awesome when you realize they're going with you.

OK, this would explain your penchant for spandex in the form of bicycle shorts! :lol:

Back