First live concert?

Europe in 86.Same show they used for the vid to Final countdown.I was 15 and didnt see a **** :)...was too short.But i heard one of my early heroes John Norum play some great guitar.

Blue Oyster Cult, Fall 1977. Opening acts The Dictators and Nils Lofgren.

My life was changed forever.

11top said:
1964 Rolling Stones, Indianapolis Fair Grounds Colliseum.

However, four (or five?) years later, I saw Jimi Hendrix and The Who in two separate shows at the Muncie Fairgrounds in a very tiny venue. Hendrix lit his guitar on fire and played it with his teeth, and The Who destroyed every piece of equipment they had.

'64?? You sure -- I don't think the Beatles were there until 65 -- hard to believe the Stones beat them to town.

I missed the Who (which was my favorite group) but saw Hendrix twice. First "live" event was probably the welcoming event at college (Purdue) in '64 with the Rivieras (California Sun) playing behind one of the dorms -- found out they were from South Bend!

Charlie

YES 1983 at Madison Square Garden. The opening act was a few Bugs Bunny cartoons. The one I remember was with the mad scientist and the ether. Come Back Here You Rabbit. :D

Another twist for this thread could be how many times have you seen a particular band.

Well, my first concert wasn't by choice. I was a boy and my folks took me with them to see Mel Tillis. I actually enjoyed the banter in-between songs since (being a youngster) I was facinated by the fact that he didn't stutter when he sang.

The first "real" concert was the World Series of Rock (I think it was 1982, I was 12 years old): Quarterflash, 38 Special, Triumph, Loverboy, and Foreigner. Great show!!!

Kiss in 1977 at the Capital Centre in MD. Opening band was AC/DC.

Yeah, it was awesome.

Nice!

KISS was my first concert as well on September 14th, 1979 with Judas Priest as the opening act. I was in the fourth grade and my parents took me to see the show. The next day I wore my concert t-shirt and brought in the tour itinerary and KISS flashlight shaped like a Zippo lighter for show-and-tell. I can still remember the pleasure I got from the appalled look on my homeroom teacher's face (Mrs. Milligan). "Your parents took you to that concert?!" Now, Dr. Milligan is the Superindendent where my kids go to school. B-)

Last edited:
Nice!

KISS was my first concert as well on September 14th, 1979 with Judas Priest as the opening act. I was in the fourth grade and my parents took me to see the show. The next day I wore my concert t-shirt and brought in the tour itinerary and KISS flashlight shaped like a Zippo lighter for show-and-tell. I can still remember the pleasure I got from the appalled look on my homeroom teacher's face (Mrs. Milligan). "Your parents took you to that concert?!" Now, Dr. Milligan is the Superindendent where my kids go to school. B-)

Dude - you got Judas Priest? We got New England on that tour. Not that I'm complaining - I loved New England. I've owned their debut on vinyl, cassette, 8-track and CD - multiple times on cassette, in fact.

My first concert was also the best I have ever been to since. It was a magical night that I will never forget.

It was 1987 I think and I was 17 years old. Pink Floyd had just released Momentary Lapse of Reason and started their North American tour. Their first show in the US was at Cleveland Municipal Stadium. I drove up from Cincinati with a friend after camping out to get tickets. Walking in to the stadium a good hour before the show, you could already feel the electricty in the air. The show went on for a good 3 hours and was magical. I think part of the magic from the crowd was the pent up demand to see PF and the other part was from Floyd's pent up demand to play as a band again. They were spot on the whole night. The best moment during the show was when Gilmour started playing Wish You Were Here and about 50,000 people started singing along. It gave me chills I tell you!

As a side note, I remember if you lit up and passed it, it never came back, but not to worry someone to your right was doing the same. That went on pretty much all night. :)

I went with my parents to see John Denver when I was 6 or so. 1983? I think that sounds right.

But if you're talking bands that you love and go on your own to see, then mine was Metallica in 1991, black album tour. Same venue, Hampton Coliseum.

My first big-time concert was a good one - Led Zeppelin at the Chicago Stadium (where the Bulls played prior to the United Center opening up next door), during their 1973 tour. I had just finished high school. I don't know if the fifth album (Houses of the Holy) was out already, or just about to come out. So they played a fair amount of that. But they also played almost all of ZoSo, most of LZ II, and lots of 1 and III. Just a great show.

Prior to that I had only gone to smaller shows of local bands, etc. But I remember that there was a summer concert series at the Dupage County Fairgrounds, probably the summer of 1972 (but I may be off by a year), where you paid $2. The venue was the 4-H exhibit hall, which was more or less like a middle-school "multi-purpose room", with the typical school stage that's raised 3 feet off of the tile floor. No seats, so you stood, or sat on the floor (if possible). That summer, for $2 a show, I saw Styx, Wishbone Ash, plus this new band that I'd never heard of, called Electric Light Orchestra. Their first real radio hit, "Roll Over Beethoven" hadn't come out yet, so I literally knew nothing about them. It was completely amazing to see a band with a violin player who wore a cape, a cello player who wore this sort of monk's outfit, and then the rest of the band looking more like rock stars (including Jeff Lynne in his gigantic afro days!) When they launched into an extended version of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" (aka the song from the "Sorcerer's Apprentice" section of Disney's Fantasia), and just kept playing faster and faster, the place went nuts!

College was when I really started going to more concerts, but that's for another thread...

Jimmy Buffett, Changes in Latitudes Tour, 1977. Our parents were fans took us. I think the Outlaws opened for him but I'm not sure. I do remember the opening act was supposed to start at 8pm with Buffett at 9 but the openers didn't show up until around 9 and Buffett didn't come out until Midnight.

I think my sister went to that. She certianly went to Pink Floyd in 73 at Merriweather.

My first concert was Glen Campbell in the round at Painter's Mill Music Fair in 1968. I was 5!!
Then John Denver at Merriweather in 1974, and of all things, I saw Cheech and Chong at Merriweather that same year!!
Okay, I'm strolling down memory lane, why stop now..
Led Zeppelin at the Cap Centre 1977, Rush at Baltimore Civic Center 1977 (w Cheap Trick and UFO - what a lineup!)
Then the whole reason I'm here - I saw Happy The Man at the Cellar Door in 1978. Both guitar and bass guitarists were playing these weird looking guitars. Come to find they were made by local luthier Paul Reed Smith. They were these gorgeous wooden things - as most guitars would be, but the finish was just gorgeous. Later I'd meet the guitarist Stanley Whitaker (still listed as an artist on prsguitars.com) and we became fast friends. I ended up roadying for him in 1986-88. Our band opened for his band One By One.. Okay, I digress... but I love the topic!!

I'll shutup now and continue my quest for pictures of Pauls early instruments... You can see Stanley and Ricks guitars and basses on Happytheman.com and Rick's #11 Bass here!

Stephen Stills, Merriweather Post Pavilion, 1970...

Yeah, I'm that old (but not that old, since my dad had to drive me...)

Jamie

Last edited:
It's hard to admit my "first" live concert but ok, here goes, The Commmodores 1979ish Tucson Az. I liked a girl and she had the tickets and invited me to go. The best part was the drive home (150 miles across the Az desert).

First concert I wanted to go to was 1981ish - REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity tour, Phx Az. They were LOUD!!!!

Best concert was probably Pink Floyd. DG amazed me with "Shine on you Crazy Diamond". The flying pig wasn't bad either.

Last edited:
Poison on the "Flesh and Blood" Tour. Trixter opened. Appreciated the tickets from my mom, but felt pretty uncool standing there with parents. That experience was not like the bombastic concert videos. Trixter opened. I believe I was 10 years old.

My 1st was VERY non-rock-n-roll.........The Captain & Tenille.......I know.....sad....... I was VERY young. My 1st real show was when I was 15. The Headliner was Foghat (Slow Ride was the hit), Styx (Crystal Ball) and some other band.....I think they were call LaBlanc & Carr.....Never heard of them before or after. They didn't go over very well. Bad audience.

FIRST: My friend's dad had to work, so I got dragged to Air Supply at Hersheypark Arena, think I was 9 or 10. Laser horses are cool.

FAVORITE: I never went to alot of live shows, but saw Sting for both Dream of the Blue Turtles and Nothing Like the Sun...Branford, Kenny Kirkland, Omar Hakim, Dominic...great lineup. Wish I had the appreciation for musicianship then that I have now, would have enjoyed it on a whole other level.

DRUNKEST (band not me): TIE - The Replacements (Bethlehem, PA) and The Replacements (Stone Pony Asbury Park NJ)

Back