Finishes throughout the years

Erik

Can anyone school me on what finishes were in use from different years?

I know V12 was introduced somewhere around 2011-12 but what came before that and what came before that?

Other than the DGT's, all models have had the same finish correct?

Can anyone school me on what finishes were in use from different years?

I know V12 was introduced somewhere around 2011-12 but what came before that and what came before that?

Other than the DGT's, all models have had the same finish correct?

They went away from V12 sometime in the past 2 or 3 years. It is still a variation of the poly/acrylic. For 2020 it’s nitro for all core models. It’s the same nitro formula they have been using on Private Stock finishes.

I lifted this from another thread:

From the prs customer support page:

6. What kind of finish does PRS use?

In our history, most of our instruments have been finished with a polyester basecoat and acrylic urethane topcoat. We feel acrylic urethane looks and feels the close to the old nitrocellulose finishes but avoided the issue of future finish checking. Several PRS models, including our Sunburst, Satin, Modern Eagles, and DGT models use a nitrocellulose finish in order to provide the classic feel and tone of vintage instruments.

In 2010, PRS Guitars introduced its new V12 finish. This finish was developed over 12 years, and it is intended as a midpoint between nitro and acrylic with a classic feel all its own. V12 is extremely thin to allow the guitar to resonate, but it is still incredibly durable with no risk of reacting to leather or guitar stands in a negative way.

Back