Filter, by Bill Lawrence and Wilde pickups, what is it?

littlebadboy

I came across this...

IMG_1150_540x.JPG

Excerpt from the description of their website:

Bill's filter is an LCR, inductance, capacitance, and resistance network, sized as a 1" cube, and can be a helpful device for multi-sound capabilities. It is ideal for those players who do not typically use their tone control. It is like taking turns off your pickup while staying noisefree. Its Bill's preferred method versus split coil.

What exactly does it do? I'm not much of a tone control user, so I was wondering what does this do.

It's a small coil that reduces the inductance of your pickups as you turn the knob down. You get less output with a brighter tone, as if it were a weaker pickup.

If you put a cap and resistor in series with it, it only reduces certain frequencies. That method doesn't drop output as much and works more as an EQ filter.

It's an interesting tool I've messed around with a few times and taken out. I have it in an Esquire project now.

I had one for years in a partscaster I built. It doesn't work like a regular treble-bleed, though. Unlike a treble-bleed, you can leave the volume on full. Attached to a tone control, I found that as you roll down the pot, the cleans start to sound more like a piezo pickup than a traditional pickup. I had it on a single humbucker guitar, with a volume-tone-tone layout. Volume and tone1 worked as normal, and I wired the Lawrence filter to tone2, which was also a push-pull coil tap - with this setup, I was able to get so many usable tones out of a single humbucker. Actually pretty cool the way it worked. Worked best with hotter pups, if I remember correctly.

LCR, inductance, capacitance, and resistance network.

Sounds suspiciously like TCI, tuned capacitance and inductance, housed inside its own unit and made adjustable.

Back